Leading Heliport Development Firm Raymond A. Syms & Associates recently made its Hospital Heliport Facility and Training Manual Training Aid available free of charge as a service to heliport proponents throughout the United States.
Next to design faults, the most common cause of helicopter accidents at heliports is human error. Most of these errors could have been avoided with proper training and heliport operational knowledge. Heliport operators can help protect their heliport operation with a Heliport Facility and Training Manual.
Developed by Raymond A. Syms and Associates, a leader in heliport design and implementation, the manual is designed to help qualified helicopter aviation professionals develop a specific heliport safety, training and operations program to assist the safe and efficient operation of their facility. This valuable document covers all aspects of the safe operation of single-ship rooftop heliports, including safety management systems, downwash awareness, and helicopter safety.
The manual includes the following samples: Pilot Briefing Sheet, Facility Information Sheet, Emergency Procedures and Notification Sheets, Campus Map with Labels, Security Policy, Heliport and Helicopter Safety and Training Program and checklist, and clear descriptions of departmental responsibilities and guidelines regarding the safe operation of a single-aircraft, rooftop heliport. A valuable inclusion to a Safety Management System, the manual gives particular attention to helicopter safety, downwash awareness and potential heliport hazards.
By walking through the manual and filling in the specific details of their own facility, heliport operators can have a valuable resource for both operators and users of their site. The rooftop heliport has the most systems and interfaces of most civil heliports, ground level and other heliports can apply the principals to their own operations.
To access the document, please click here. Donâ€™t let staff who are inexperienced around helicopters and heliports, or helicopter operators unfamiliar with your operation, put your heliport in jeopardy of an accident. For a copy of this guide for your own use and/or assistance in tailoring it to your heliportâ€™s specific operations, please call 732-870-8883 or e-mail [email protected].
About Raymond A. Syms
Raymond A. Syms is a highly qualified and experienced helicopter pilot with over 10,000 flight hours. He is a senior member and Chairman of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 418, Fire Protection for Heliports Committee. He has also been a research contractor to the FAA and longâ€“time member of the FAA/Industry Heliport Working Group that produced past editions of the FAA Heliport Design Advisory Circulars and also serves on the HAI Fly Neighborly, Heliport and Flight Operations Committee. Additionally, he is the designer and primary author of the HAI Heliport Development Guide. Syms also contributed to revision efforts relating to ICAO heliport regulations.
Free Hospital Heliport Facility and Training Manual Training Aid Now Available
- The HeliHub.com interview – Mick Maurer of Sikorsky
- AHS’ Hirschberg Reviews Lobbying and Noise Reduction Campaigns
- Advanced Helicopter Services Expands Turbomeca Support Region
- Aero Asahi Super Puma Gets Swift On-Site Retrofit From Heli-One
- Axnes Aviation Introduces New PNG Wireless Intercom System at Heli-Expo
- UTC Aerospace Systems Exhibits Advanced Rotorcraft Technologies and Service Capabilities at Heli-Expo
- Universal Avionics Completes First Round of DAU Testing for InSight™ Integrated Flight Deck
- Rotorcraft Environmental Testing for Universal Avionics AHS-525 AHRS Nears Completion
- Universal Avionics SBAS-FMS Offers Major Step toward ADS-B Compliance
- Wysong Enterprises completes AS350B3e for Helicopter Express
- Aerometals completes purchase of FDC/aerofilters, Announces Name Change
- Aviation Specialties Unlimited / HeliAir Obtain EC135 EASA STC
- Dallas Airmotive Showcases Global Rotorcraft Authorizations at Heli-Expo 2015
- Maverick Helicopters Achieves 300,000 Flight Hours in EC130 Aircraft and 350,000 Total Flight Hours in March 2015
- Meridian Helicopters Achieves Milestone Flight Hours in 2014
- Sagem extends its leading Flight Data Monitoring solutions to all Bell platforms
- Heli-Expo Seminar to Take the Mystery Out of Aviation Law for Pilots
- Heli-One helps Korea’s National 119 halve EC225 inspection time
- Brazil certifies Heli-One MRO services
- BLR Aerospace Delivers 850th FastFin System; Military Demand Continues to Grow