Leading Heliport Development Firm Raymond A. Syms & Associates recently made its Hospital Heliport Facility and Training Manual Training Aid available free of charge as a service to heliport proponents throughout the United States.
Next to design faults, the most common cause of helicopter accidents at heliports is human error. Most of these errors could have been avoided with proper training and heliport operational knowledge. Heliport operators can help protect their heliport operation with a Heliport Facility and Training Manual.
Developed by Raymond A. Syms and Associates, a leader in heliport design and implementation, the manual is designed to help qualified helicopter aviation professionals develop a specific heliport safety, training and operations program to assist the safe and efficient operation of their facility. This valuable document covers all aspects of the safe operation of single-ship rooftop heliports, including safety management systems, downwash awareness, and helicopter safety.
The manual includes the following samples: Pilot Briefing Sheet, Facility Information Sheet, Emergency Procedures and Notification Sheets, Campus Map with Labels, Security Policy, Heliport and Helicopter Safety and Training Program and checklist, and clear descriptions of departmental responsibilities and guidelines regarding the safe operation of a single-aircraft, rooftop heliport. A valuable inclusion to a Safety Management System, the manual gives particular attention to helicopter safety, downwash awareness and potential heliport hazards.
By walking through the manual and filling in the specific details of their own facility, heliport operators can have a valuable resource for both operators and users of their site. The rooftop heliport has the most systems and interfaces of most civil heliports, ground level and other heliports can apply the principals to their own operations.
To access the document, please click here. Donâ€™t let staff who are inexperienced around helicopters and heliports, or helicopter operators unfamiliar with your operation, put your heliport in jeopardy of an accident. For a copy of this guide for your own use and/or assistance in tailoring it to your heliportâ€™s specific operations, please call 732-870-8883 or e-mail [email protected].
About Raymond A. Syms
Raymond A. Syms is a highly qualified and experienced helicopter pilot with over 10,000 flight hours. He is a senior member and Chairman of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 418, Fire Protection for Heliports Committee. He has also been a research contractor to the FAA and longâ€“time member of the FAA/Industry Heliport Working Group that produced past editions of the FAA Heliport Design Advisory Circulars and also serves on the HAI Fly Neighborly, Heliport and Flight Operations Committee. Additionally, he is the designer and primary author of the HAI Heliport Development Guide. Syms also contributed to revision efforts relating to ICAO heliport regulations.
- Patent Granted to LBA for Portable Lightning Mast
- Erickson Secures Turkish Firefighting Contract
- Security Alliance to provide security and fire cover at Bell Amarillo plant
- HNZ announces new VP and CFO appointment
- Boeing takes Apache to Poland’s largest Defence Show
- Global Aerospace Market Trends and Forecast: 2014-2033
- Roseboro Town Board give green light to helipad project
- Theatre raises noise complaint over future helipad at Hobart hospital
- LifeStar becomes first in Connecticut to carry blood
- Unite union renews call for North Sea safety inquiry
- Rockwell Collins appoints VP of Mergers & Acquisitions
- Long-Term Demand for Helicopters Evolves
- Italy suspends licence of helicopter pilot who dropped flower petals on mafia funeral
- Pakistan signs for four Mi-35 Hind gunships
- Volusia County Mosquito Control adds new MD520N
- Mexico certifies Onboard Systems Bell 206L & 407 Cargo Hook Systems
- US Navy Demonstrates MQ-8C Fire Scout Endurance
- Russia certifies AW189
- Royal Thai Air Force receives four EC725s
- INAER puts H145 into service with SUEM 118 of Belluno