It was with a tremendous sense of pride that Royal Marines and Royal Naval personnel of the Commando Helicopter Force were presented with the Fleet Air Armâ€™s Bambara Flight Safety Trophy for 2009 from Rear Admiral T Cunningham Chief of Staff Aviation. This coveted prize is awarded annually to the Fleet Air Arm unit that is assessed as having the best flight safety record.
After the award ceremony, Admiral Cunningham praised the CHF and its Squadrons for their outstanding achievements on global exercises and in particular the 2 years they have been deployed in Afghanistan. He further praised both aviators and support personnel who have worked exceptionally hard in supporting UK and international forces in Afghanistan despite the obvious dangers from the Taliban but also the enormous environmental challenges of flying and maintaining the aircraft in extreme heat and dust.
In true naval tradition, the youngest member of 845 Naval Air Squadron, Air Engineering Technician Russell Elliot accepted the trophy on behalf of the CHF.Â Whilst he is the youngest member of the Squadron he has certainly packed a lot of action in a short naval career. Russell has previously deployed on Operations in Iraq and recently returned to the UK from Afghanistan after a 3 month tour, he is about to deploy to the east coast of America in June and will return to Afghanistan in November returning to the UK in February 2011.
On receiving the Trophy Russell said, â€œIâ€™ve never been asked to do anything like this before but I am extremely proud to receive this prestigious award on behalf of the Commando Helicopter Force. The force is like a family and everyone takes Flight Safety extremely seriously as any bad practice can lead to loss of life for those who fly in the our aircraft or for the soldiers on the front line keenly awaiting our supportâ€.
[Photo - Rear Admiral T Cunningham Chief of Staff Aviation presents the Bambara Trophy to Air Engineering Technician ## Russell Elliot]
UK: Safety Trophy For Commando Helicopter Force
- The HeliHub.com interview – Patrick Moncoutie, VP Arrano Programme, Turbomeca
- Airbus Helicopters Golden Hour Award Presented Snohomish County
- Aviation Specialties Unlimited Sponsors Whirly Girl Scholarship
- Donaldson IBFs Approved for AW139
- Mesa Police orders new MD530F
- Volusia County Mosquito Control orders MD520N
- Airbus to take EC130T2 on US tour this spring
- Tempest Aviation Group plans service expansion with Quantum MRO and Logistics Software
- Avialta Helicopter Maintenance expands Quantum Control software solution
- Helicopter Engine Repair Overhaul Services, Inc. selects dual-power of Quantum and StockMarket.aero
- Northwest Helicopters expands operations with MRO and Logistics Software
- LifeFlight’s blood transfusion practices affirmed by new study
- Rockwell Collins brings innovative avionics to Bristow Helicopters for U.K. search and rescue program
- DAC International Completes Vibration Testing
- Esterline CMC Electronics’ Avionics Selected for Airbus H160
- Cornwall Air Ambulance Flies 25,000th Mission
- China helicopter industry insider urges government support
- Zeldin Asks FAA To Change Helicopter Rules For Noise Mitigation
- Widow sues helicopter company, alleging wrongful death
- Demand Identified for a Four Seat Cabri, Says Bruno Guimbal