It was with a tremendous sense of pride that Royal Marines and Royal Naval personnel of the Commando Helicopter Force were presented with the Fleet Air Armâ€™s Bambara Flight Safety Trophy for 2009 from Rear Admiral T Cunningham Chief of Staff Aviation. This coveted prize is awarded annually to the Fleet Air Arm unit that is assessed as having the best flight safety record.
After the award ceremony, Admiral Cunningham praised the CHF and its Squadrons for their outstanding achievements on global exercises and in particular the 2 years they have been deployed in Afghanistan. He further praised both aviators and support personnel who have worked exceptionally hard in supporting UK and international forces in Afghanistan despite the obvious dangers from the Taliban but also the enormous environmental challenges of flying and maintaining the aircraft in extreme heat and dust.
In true naval tradition, the youngest member of 845 Naval Air Squadron, Air Engineering Technician Russell Elliot accepted the trophy on behalf of the CHF.Â Whilst he is the youngest member of the Squadron he has certainly packed a lot of action in a short naval career. Russell has previously deployed on Operations in Iraq and recently returned to the UK from Afghanistan after a 3 month tour, he is about to deploy to the east coast of America in June and will return to Afghanistan in November returning to the UK in February 2011.
On receiving the Trophy Russell said, â€œIâ€™ve never been asked to do anything like this before but I am extremely proud to receive this prestigious award on behalf of the Commando Helicopter Force. The force is like a family and everyone takes Flight Safety extremely seriously as any bad practice can lead to loss of life for those who fly in the our aircraft or for the soldiers on the front line keenly awaiting our supportâ€.
[Photo - Rear Admiral T Cunningham Chief of Staff Aviation presents the Bambara Trophy to Air Engineering Technician ## Russell Elliot]
- Zip Aviation orders Bell 407GX
- Aviation Specialties Unlimited Unveils New OWLS at NBAA
- Twin Haven buys Apache / Black Hawk supplier Impresa
- Helisota becomes an official representative of Mil and component manufacturer FED
- Friday is last day to sign up for AHS HELMOT XVI event
- Dallas Airmotive Breaks Ground on New Rotorcraft Center at DFW Airport
- Russian engine manufacturer Klimov celebrates 100 years
- Bell showcases Mecaer 429 interior at NBAA
- Northrop Grumman to Supply New Attitude/Heading Reference System for Airbus Helicopters
- HSC-12 changes command at sea
- FlightSafety and ADA to build Learning Center in Abu Dhabi
- Police in Macedonia arrest 9 in helicopter scam
- Register Update – USA – week to 19 October 2014
- Register Update – USA – week to 12 October 2014
- Falcon Aviation Services Signs Contract for Two AW189s
- AW609 Test Pilots Receive Iven C. Kincheloe Award
- MAV Student Challenge Rules Announced
- Nikolsky Honorary Lectureship awarded by AHS
- Innovation Brings Safe, Certified, Nanophosphate® Lithium Batteries to New Business Aircraft
- JSSI Expands Commitment to Helicopter Market