EMS Aviation, a division of mobile connectivity leader EMS Technologies, Inc., announced today that its FLEET tracking system is being used by Florida-based Heliworks Inc. to help rescue birds endangered by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Contracted by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to search for affected birds and lead rescuers to their locations, Heliworks operates Bell 206Ls equipped with the EMS Aviation FLEET tracking system. The helicopters fly biologists low and close to the coastline to locate oil-covered birds while the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service monitors the Internet-based Automated Flight Following (AFF) map.Â The map shows officials the helicopterâ€™s geographical location, speed, heading, altitude, and flight history.
â€œWhen a biologist spots a bird, FLEET Tracker ensures that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service knows our exact location,â€ says Richard Simpson, vice president of Heliworks. â€œThis helps operations determine where to send ground crews. And that means they can locate and rescue the oiled birds more quickly.â€
Although EMSâ€™ FLEET system also offers text and phone services for flight crews and passengers on board, its most important functionality for this unique rescue mission is automated tracking. This capability lets the pilot focus on flying and helps the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service get ground crews in place more rapidly.
â€œWe are extremely proud to see our systems being used to rescue birds in the sensitive Gulf environment,â€ said Nim Evatt, vice president and general manager of EMS Aviation.Â â€œThis is an example of using commercial know-how to take technology beyond its traditional field of use for an important and worthwhile cause.â€
Heliworks has seven aircraft equipped with EMS Aviationâ€™s FLEET Tracker system, which includes an Iridium antenna and transceiver with integrated GPS for flight following and a Mission Management Unit (MMU) for fast two-way text messaging, and phone services.
Heliworks Inc. is a full-service helicopter facility located in Pensacola, Fla. Established in 1992; the facility offers maintenance, repair, and paint, completion, and charter services. Heliworks is an approved Bell Helicopter customer service facility and a part 145 Repair Station with Bell-approved cabin and tailboom repair fixtures for Bell 206 and 407 series helicopters. For more information visit www.heli-works.com
About EMS Aviation
EMS Aviation, a division of EMS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: ELMG), is a leading supplier of connectivity and in-cabin infrastructure equipment for a broad range of commercial and military aircraft. EMS Aviation enables reliable worldwide Internet connectivity and in-flight entertainment, satellite-based messaging and tracking, rugged data management and storage, and data record and replay. The division, comprising the former EMS SATCOM, Formation and Sky Connect business units, is a leader in Inmarsat, Iridium, Ku-band and air-to-ground mobile connectivity solutions, with proven commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) systems. Visit www.emsaviation.com for more information.
- EASA’s perspective on Drones
- TRAXXALL Technologies Opens Office in Jacksonville
- AW139 helicopter full flight simulator receives qualification from EASA
- Ramco announces Oceania Headquarters in Melbourne
- Bell 412EPI Completes Southeast Asia Demo Tour
- New prototype on the ramp at Guimbal
- Busiest Day in the Year for Lincolnshire and Nottingham Air Ambulance
- Columbia CAA approves Sikorsky S76C, S76D and S92A
- TRU Simulation + Training to Deliver Avionics Training Systems for Bell 407GX and 412EPI
- UK CAA certifies first helipad with Deck Integrated Fire Fighting System
- Rockwell Collins to support cockpit equipment for U.S. Army
- Russian Helicopters transfer first batch of Mi-8MTV-5s to Belarusian Ministry of Defense
- Defense and Civil Spends on Helicopters in Middle East and North Africa: 2016 to 2024
- £1 Million is not enough for Great North Air Ambulance
- Global Helicopter Avionics Market – Analysis, Technologies & Forecasts to 2020
- Helicopter simulator is first with CAE Medallion-6000XR image generator
- Wales Air Ambulance Charity¹s future fleet touches down
- ASG awarded remarketing of 7 Bristow Helicopters
- Airbus Helicopters delivers final EC135T2+ for Australian military training program
- Airbus to build new customer service center in Chile