EMS Aviation, a division of mobile connectivity leader EMS Technologies, Inc., announced today that its FLEET tracking system is being used by Florida-based Heliworks Inc. to help rescue birds endangered by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Contracted by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to search for affected birds and lead rescuers to their locations, Heliworks operates Bell 206Ls equipped with the EMS Aviation FLEET tracking system. The helicopters fly biologists low and close to the coastline to locate oil-covered birds while the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service monitors the Internet-based Automated Flight Following (AFF) map. The map shows officials the helicopter’s geographical location, speed, heading, altitude, and flight history.
“When a biologist spots a bird, FLEET Tracker ensures that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service knows our exact location,” says Richard Simpson, vice president of Heliworks. “This helps operations determine where to send ground crews. And that means they can locate and rescue the oiled birds more quickly.”
Although EMS’ FLEET system also offers text and phone services for flight crews and passengers on board, its most important functionality for this unique rescue mission is automated tracking. This capability lets the pilot focus on flying and helps the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service get ground crews in place more rapidly.
“We are extremely proud to see our systems being used to rescue birds in the sensitive Gulf environment,” said Nim Evatt, vice president and general manager of EMS Aviation. “This is an example of using commercial know-how to take technology beyond its traditional field of use for an important and worthwhile cause.”
Heliworks has seven aircraft equipped with EMS Aviation’s FLEET Tracker system, which includes an Iridium antenna and transceiver with integrated GPS for flight following and a Mission Management Unit (MMU) for fast two-way text messaging, and phone services.
Heliworks Inc. is a full-service helicopter facility located in Pensacola, Fla. Established in 1992; the facility offers maintenance, repair, and paint, completion, and charter services. Heliworks is an approved Bell Helicopter customer service facility and a part 145 Repair Station with Bell-approved cabin and tailboom repair fixtures for Bell 206 and 407 series helicopters. For more information visit www.heli-works.com
About EMS Aviation
EMS Aviation, a division of EMS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: ELMG), is a leading supplier of connectivity and in-cabin infrastructure equipment for a broad range of commercial and military aircraft. EMS Aviation enables reliable worldwide Internet connectivity and in-flight entertainment, satellite-based messaging and tracking, rugged data management and storage, and data record and replay. The division, comprising the former EMS SATCOM, Formation and Sky Connect business units, is a leader in Inmarsat, Iridium, Ku-band and air-to-ground mobile connectivity solutions, with proven commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) systems. Visit www.emsaviation.com for more information.
- NH90: Retrofit of New Zealand’s fleet completed
- Bell introduces the first two 429s to Poland
- FAA Proposes $428,000 Civil Penalty Against Air Methods Corporation
- Bell showcases 429 WLG’s capabilities through 5 month Latin America demo tour
- First Hellfire missile test for Royal Australian Navy MH-60R
- Airbus Helicopters Canada delivers AS350 B3e to Lakeshore Helicopters
- Adena Selects MedFlight for Critical Care Air Transport
- Communications & Power Industries Awarded $6M To Support Apache
- Airbus Helicopters starts delivery of EC145 T2 with DRF Luftrettung
- Raytheon fires four TALON Laser-Guided Rockets from MD 530G helicopter
- Helitech – EHA Rotorcraft Seminars lift off with keynote address from EASA
- Building cooperation at Hot Blade 2014
- Rotorcraft Support adds EC130T2 STC for replacement of NiCad battery
- Apache Guardians perform first deck landing qualifications
- OPITO makes Gulf of Mexico travel safer with new survival training standard
- Osprey makes Sapporo Airshow debut
- Erickson Announces Date for Second Quarter 2014 Results
- Bell CEO John Garrison: In It Together
- REACH Air Medical Services AnnouncesNew Air Ambulance Base in Willits, CA
- Air Methods to Report Second Quarter Financial Results