EMS Aviation, a division of mobile connectivity leader EMS Technologies, Inc., announced today that its FLEET tracking system is being used by Florida-based Heliworks Inc. to help rescue birds endangered by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Contracted by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to search for affected birds and lead rescuers to their locations, Heliworks operates Bell 206Ls equipped with the EMS Aviation FLEET tracking system. The helicopters fly biologists low and close to the coastline to locate oil-covered birds while the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service monitors the Internet-based Automated Flight Following (AFF) map. The map shows officials the helicopter’s geographical location, speed, heading, altitude, and flight history.
“When a biologist spots a bird, FLEET Tracker ensures that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service knows our exact location,” says Richard Simpson, vice president of Heliworks. “This helps operations determine where to send ground crews. And that means they can locate and rescue the oiled birds more quickly.”
Although EMS’ FLEET system also offers text and phone services for flight crews and passengers on board, its most important functionality for this unique rescue mission is automated tracking. This capability lets the pilot focus on flying and helps the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service get ground crews in place more rapidly.
“We are extremely proud to see our systems being used to rescue birds in the sensitive Gulf environment,” said Nim Evatt, vice president and general manager of EMS Aviation. “This is an example of using commercial know-how to take technology beyond its traditional field of use for an important and worthwhile cause.”
Heliworks has seven aircraft equipped with EMS Aviation’s FLEET Tracker system, which includes an Iridium antenna and transceiver with integrated GPS for flight following and a Mission Management Unit (MMU) for fast two-way text messaging, and phone services.
Heliworks Inc. is a full-service helicopter facility located in Pensacola, Fla. Established in 1992; the facility offers maintenance, repair, and paint, completion, and charter services. Heliworks is an approved Bell Helicopter customer service facility and a part 145 Repair Station with Bell-approved cabin and tailboom repair fixtures for Bell 206 and 407 series helicopters. For more information visit www.heli-works.com
About EMS Aviation
EMS Aviation, a division of EMS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: ELMG), is a leading supplier of connectivity and in-cabin infrastructure equipment for a broad range of commercial and military aircraft. EMS Aviation enables reliable worldwide Internet connectivity and in-flight entertainment, satellite-based messaging and tracking, rugged data management and storage, and data record and replay. The division, comprising the former EMS SATCOM, Formation and Sky Connect business units, is a leader in Inmarsat, Iridium, Ku-band and air-to-ground mobile connectivity solutions, with proven commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) systems. Visit www.emsaviation.com for more information.
- Lockheed Martin’s Unmanned K-MAX Cargo Helicopter Team Returns From Deployment With U.S. Marine Corps In Afghanistan
- Air Methods Completes Successful Demonstration of Jupiter Avionics wiJAC Wireless Intercom System
- Heading to EAA AirVenture: Visit the HAI HELI-CENTER
- STARS offers time, hope and life-saving transport to critically ill and injured patients.
- Cockpit Crazy Press Release
- MD Helicopters Announces Second MD 500e Helicopter Delivery To Polk County Florida Sheriff’s Ofice
- Edmonton Police seek $22M for twin turbine helicopters and new heliport
- Bell Helicopter Delivers First Two of Six Bell 407GXs to the Pennsylvania State Police
- REACH Air Medical Services Opening Air Ambulance Base in Rancho Cordova, CA
- New Robinson R22 for Phoenix!
- Metro Aviation delivers EC135 to HealthNet Aeromedical Services, Inc.
- GAMA Welcomes Jonathan Archer as Director of Engineering & Airworthiness
- Derazona Helicopters buys its first rotorcraft from Airbus Helicopters: a multi-role AS350 B3e
- SaxonAir enhances helicopter fleet with Airbus Helicopters EC155
- Bristow Norway AS lands multi-million dollar contract
- Russian Helicopters to train Mongolian pilots at Ulan-Ude Aviation Training Centre
- Bell Helicopter Announces First Two HEMS Bell 429s in the Middle East
- New Report: Air Methods – Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Now in black: DART’s ultra-resistant Floor Protectors
- DART’s new interference-proof Tail Rotor Pedal Lockout