EMS Aviation, a division of mobile connectivity leader EMS Technologies, Inc., announced today that its FLEET tracking system is being used by Florida-based Heliworks Inc. to help rescue birds endangered by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Contracted by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to search for affected birds and lead rescuers to their locations, Heliworks operates Bell 206Ls equipped with the EMS Aviation FLEET tracking system. The helicopters fly biologists low and close to the coastline to locate oil-covered birds while the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service monitors the Internet-based Automated Flight Following (AFF) map.Â The map shows officials the helicopterâ€™s geographical location, speed, heading, altitude, and flight history.
â€œWhen a biologist spots a bird, FLEET Tracker ensures that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service knows our exact location,â€ says Richard Simpson, vice president of Heliworks. â€œThis helps operations determine where to send ground crews. And that means they can locate and rescue the oiled birds more quickly.â€
Although EMSâ€™ FLEET system also offers text and phone services for flight crews and passengers on board, its most important functionality for this unique rescue mission is automated tracking. This capability lets the pilot focus on flying and helps the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service get ground crews in place more rapidly.
â€œWe are extremely proud to see our systems being used to rescue birds in the sensitive Gulf environment,â€ said Nim Evatt, vice president and general manager of EMS Aviation.Â â€œThis is an example of using commercial know-how to take technology beyond its traditional field of use for an important and worthwhile cause.â€
Heliworks has seven aircraft equipped with EMS Aviationâ€™s FLEET Tracker system, which includes an Iridium antenna and transceiver with integrated GPS for flight following and a Mission Management Unit (MMU) for fast two-way text messaging, and phone services.
Heliworks Inc. is a full-service helicopter facility located in Pensacola, Fla. Established in 1992; the facility offers maintenance, repair, and paint, completion, and charter services. Heliworks is an approved Bell Helicopter customer service facility and a part 145 Repair Station with Bell-approved cabin and tailboom repair fixtures for Bell 206 and 407 series helicopters. For more information visit www.heli-works.com
About EMS Aviation
EMS Aviation, a division of EMS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: ELMG), is a leading supplier of connectivity and in-cabin infrastructure equipment for a broad range of commercial and military aircraft. EMS Aviation enables reliable worldwide Internet connectivity and in-flight entertainment, satellite-based messaging and tracking, rugged data management and storage, and data record and replay. The division, comprising the former EMS SATCOM, Formation and Sky Connect business units, is a leader in Inmarsat, Iridium, Ku-band and air-to-ground mobile connectivity solutions, with proven commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) systems. Visit www.emsaviation.com for more information.
- Coptersafety orders five new Full Flight Simulators
- Metro Aviation appoints new manager for Operational Control Center
- Summit Aviation adds S-76D to approvals list
- Air Methods provides Q2 financials update
- S-64 Composite Main Rotor Blade Program Passes Initial Flight Test Milestone
- Baltimore County PD safety record recognized by Airbus
- XTI Aircraft Company takes three big steps forward with VTOL TriFan
- VH-92A Presidential Helicopter completes Critical Design Review
- CHC offers storage space for offshore helicopters
- Zurich operator Heli-Link renamed DC Aviation Switzerland
- Bell Expands Tennessee Customization centre
- Aeronautical Accessories Adds Bell 412 Crew Mobility Restraint Kit
- Royal Australian Navy hosts first MV-22 Osprey sea trials
- Bell 412EPI demonstrated to Vietnamese operator
- Tennessee National Guard Aviators receive Sikorsky Rescue Award
- Blade completes financing round and appoints new Chairman
- Controp launches HD EO/IR camera payload for helicopters
- HSM-74 Conduct First Swing Loaded Operational Flight on MH-60R
- Customer Advantage Plan – Bell signs second customer
- LAPD selects Cobham RT-7000 Tactical Radio