UTICA, NY – JETNET LLC, the leading provider of corporate aviation information, has released December 2010 results for the pre-owned business jet, business turboprop, and helicopter markets. New aircraft orders are based on the successful sale of existing aircraft in the pre-owned market, a good first predictor. 2010 brought welcome good news—Pre-owned Full Sale Business Jet Transactions for the year improved by 16% compared to 2009, and exceeded the 2008 transaction level by 4.8%.
Table A highlights the key worldwide trends across all aircraft market segments, comparing 2010 to 2009. Business Jet Inventory For Sale percentage shows the largest change, down 1.5 points, from 16.3% to 14.8%. Most important is the percentage change in Sale Transactions. Business Jets lead with the largest percentage gain, 16%, compared to 2009. All business and helicopter aircraft categories took longer to sell in 2010, ranging from 31 to 72 more days in the year-over-year (YOY) comparisons. All pre-owned aircraft categories show a decrease in the average asking price, ranging from a low of -1.5% for piston helicopters to -18.5% for business jets. The Pre-owned Piston Helicopter segment is the only sector down in sale transactions (a 8.6% drop) in 2010 compared to 2009.
Helicopters – Turbine (excludes Civil Russian manufactured helicopters)
The number of pre-owned turbine helicopters for sale in December 2010 was slightly more than 1,200 helicopters, or 139 less than the business turboprop market. The percentage for sale of 7.0% in 2010 (a buyer’s market) was higher than the 6.9% level of 2009. A buyer’s market in the helicopter world is when the percentage of helicopters for sale exceeds 5% of the fleet.
The number of pre-owned full sale transactions for turbine helicopters increased by 14.5% in 2010 compared to 2009. Again, this improvement in sales is excellent news for the turbine helicopter industry.The average days on the market for turbine helicopters was 309 days, or 70 days more in 2010 compared to 2009. However, the average asking price fell by 13.2% in 2010 compared to 2009.
Helicopters – Piston (excludes Russian manufactured helicopters)
The number of pre-owned piston helicopters for sale in December 2010 was 629 helicopters, or nearly half the number of turbine helicopters. The percentage for sale of 7.0% (a buyer’s market) was only slightly below the 7.1% level from the same period of 2009.
The number of pre-owned full sale transactions for piston helicopters decreased by 8.6% in 2010 compared to 2009. The average days on the market for piston helicopters was 281 days, or 72 days more in 2010 compared 2009. However, the average asking price for piston helicopters fell by 1.5% in 2010 compared to 2009.The reality is the current business down cycle will last longer than the industry would like. The good news is that the business aircraft and helicopter markets are on the right track.
Since 1988, JETNET has delivered the most comprehensive and reliable business aircraft research to its exclusive clientele of aviation professionals worldwide. JETNET is the ultimate source for information and intelligence on the worldwide business aircraft fleet and marketplace, comprised of some 60,000 airframes. The company offers services for both fixed wing and helicopter aircraft. Headquartered in its state-of-the-art facility in Utica, NY, JETNET offers comprehensive user-friendly aircraft data via real-time internet access or regular updates.
- Bristow publish results for Q4 and Year ended 31st March 2013
- R66 lands at North Pole
- Nine new customers in China for Enstrom
- Eurocopter to supply EC225 and AS350B3e to China’s State Grid General Aviation Company
- CAE upgrades visuals on Royal Navy Lynx Mk8 full-mission simulator
- Keystone Med-Flight Announces New VP of Operations
- Fourth corporate AW139 sold into UK market
- REACH adds sixth EC135
- Enstrom breaks ground on production plant expansion
- Bell promotes innovation at AHS Forum 69
- HAI at AHS Forum 69
- Court rejects helicopter haze injunction
- Rivalry develops in air ambulance service
- Castleberry Instruments & Avionics Relocates for Growth
- Keystone Turbine Services Honeywell-approved for P&WC PT6 Series Accessory Support
- EBACE – Heli Asset places first Eurocopter EC155B1 into Switzerland
- EBACE – Corporate EC175 features dimmable windows and cabin partitions
- EBACE – JSSI reaches 10,000th Asset Milestone
- EBACE – Eurocopter launches EC175 with VIP/executive interior
- NZ heliski firm fined $6,000