The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) is upgrading the hoists of more than 100 H-65 Multi-Mission Cutter Helicopters with a unique safety-enhancing product available exclusively from Breeze-Eastern Corporation (Heli-Expo Exhibit 3631). The USCG installation of the Reactive Overload Clutch is nearly complete and many of the upgraded hoists are already operational. The Reactive Overload Clutch is available on new hoists and as an aftermarket upgrade.
The Reactive Overload Clutch represents a next-generation improvement over other slip clutch technology. While all slip clutches prevent cables from snapping under gradual pressure when they exceed load limits, the Reactive Overload Clutch offers the same protection when a shock load (a sudden and intense force) occurs. This could happen, for example, if a hoist cable became entangled on a ship and broke under the pressure. Shock loading can happen in a variety of operations, and can have catastrophic results without this added protection.
“Breeze-Eastern is proud to bring this product to the U.S. Coast Guard and make it available to all of our commercial and military customers who are doing important lifesaving work,” said company President & CEO Mike Harlan. “Contributing to safe operations is Breeze-Eastern's top priority.”
During USCG evaluations of the equipment, a hoist was subjected to free-fall drops of loads of various weights and distances. These tests confirmed that the Reactive Overload Clutch would prevent a shock load from breaking the cable. “The USCG also conducted thorough field testing to ensure that the Reactive Overload Clutch performed as expected under a wide range of operational conditions,” Harlan explained. “The Breeze-Eastern Reactive Overload Clutch System performed flawlessly, and the U.S. Coast Guard ordered and is installing over 100 systems.”
As the Rescue Hoist market leader, Breeze-Eastern is committed to continuing to make safe systems even safer. During 2010, Breeze-Eastern completed its relocation to a new facility in Whippany, N.J., after spending over 50 years in Union, N.J. With a world-class facility and equipment, improving processes and a strong customer focus, and ongoing product development and improvement investments, Breeze-Eastern is well-positioned to help its commercial and military customers perform their critical missions for the next 50+ years.
Breeze-Eastern Corporation (http://www.breeze-eastern.com) is the world’s leading designer and manufacturer of high-performance lifting and pulling devices for helicopters, military cargo aircraft, and other aerospace/defense platforms, including rescue hoists, winches and cargo hooks, and weapons-lifting systems.
- Avinics Appoints New CEO Western Europe
- DART Launches Redesigned iPad App to Better Support its Customers
- Next-Generation Transponder receives DoD Certification
- Russian Helicopters congratulates winners of 21st Century Helicopters competition
- Safety Experts Join PRISM Helicopter and Business Aviation Team
- Air Comm acquires Meggitt (Addison)
- New head for Air BP
- Bristow – EC225 situation will last another year or more
- Iraqi Army receives last of 24 Bell 407s
- Argentine Air Force to add two Bell 412s
- EBACE – AgustaWestland pushes VIP-role AW169
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance goes operational
- EBACE – Bell showcases 429
- AHS – Prevailing In “Demanding Environments”
- HAI Participates at HeliRussia 2013
- Bristow publish results for Q4 and Year ended 31st March 2013
- Floating helipad returns to Destin
- 23-May-13 PNB-8302 Eurocopter Bo105 Caracas, Venezuela (5F)
- 23-May-13 G-XXEB Sikorsky S76C++ Denham, UK
- R66 lands at North Pole