AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is exhibiting the AW169 helicopter at Heli-Expo 2011 (Orlando, FL, 6th – 8th March) for the first time. Unveiled at the Farnborough International Airshow in July 2010, the AW169 programme is progressing as planned with the first flight scheduled in 2012 with certification at the end of 2014 and start of deliveries immediately afterwards. A versatile, new generation twin-engine light intermediate category helicopter, the AW169 has been designed in response to the growing market demand for higher mission flexibility and multi-role capability in the 4.5 ton class and to meet the current and anticipated stringent requirements of commercial and government operators worldwide. The AW169 will be certified in accordance with the latest amendment of JAR/FAR 29 and JAR-OPS3. In particular, it will be compliant for Category A, Class 1 Operations and IFR Single and Dual Pilot Operations.
The aircraft incorporates several new technology features to provide the highest levels of safety and operational benefits for customers. Next generation technologies are embedded in the rotors, blades, engines, avionics, transmission and electric power generation & distribution systems. Key design criteria for the AW169 are multi-role capability, optimized for several applications with the focus being on utility roles, role flexibility through a modular concept for rapid re-configuration, performance with high payload in hot-and-high environments. New generation technologies, high levels of crashworthiness and an environment friendly design are also key features of the AW169. The spacious, unobstructed cabin space with constant section geometry can accommodate 8 or 10 persons. Alternatively, two longitudinally or transversally mounted stretchers can be accommodated. The AW169 offers high safety standards with high rotor clearance, OEI capability in all flight phases, engine burst containment protection and a 30-min MGB run-dry capability.
Environmental friendliness is core to the AW169 highly efficient design giving low CO2 emissions, a low noise signature and low maintenance. New generation advanced FADEC-controlled Pratt & Whitney Canada PW210 turboshaft engines will power the AW169 delivering maximum efficiency and low emissions. Advanced rotor aerodynamics with a new blade design will give a very low external noise signature, well below regulatory limits, making the AW169 an eco-friendly helicopter. The AW169 has been engineered with high TBOs (Time Between Overhaul) for the power plant and all the main components, with a limited number of life-limited parts, high reliability and low maintenance requirements to maximise operational effectiveness. Thanks to its modern design features and capabilities, the AW169 is aiming to be the most advanced and cost/effective solution for EMS/SAR, law enforcement, passenger transport, offshore transport and utility markets. A wide range of equipments will be available so that each AW169 can be customised to each customer’s requirements.
- EBACE – AgustaWestland pushes VIP-role AW169
- Budget freezes US Army Armed Aerial Scout program
- Lease Corporation International delivers first AW139 to Bond
- AW169 production line to be established at Philadelphia
- Australia – Linfox receives sixth new AgustaWestland helicopter in 13 years
- Thermoplastic advances help AW169 horizontal tailplane
- Waypoint Leasing signs for GrandNew, AW139, AW169 and AW189
- Sloane Helicopters signs for two GrandNew and two AW169s
- AW169 VIP sale in Australia
- Fourth AW169 – First flight
- Mitsui Bussan Aerospace appointed Japan’s AW169 distributor
- Kaan Air signs for one more AW169 and AW139
- Starspeed signs contract for an AW169, plus an option for another
- AW169 – Third prototype makes its Maiden Flight
- Mecaer displays VIP AW169 interior at NBAA 2012
- Japan’s ITC-Aerospace orders two AW169s
- Curtiss-Wright to supply rugged flight recorders for AW169
- Kaan Air signs for two AW169s and another AW139
- Australia – Linfox orders three VIP AW169s
- UK’s Specialist Aviation Services orders six AW169