Rotary Wing Primary Training Aircraft for the Afghan air Force
Contract Award Date:
March 10, 2011
Contract Award Number:
Contract Award Dollar Amount:
Contractor Awarded DUNS:
MD HELICOPTERS, INC. (054313767)
4555 E MCDOWELL RD
MESA, AZ 85215-9734
Added: Nov 08, 2010 5:49 pm Modified: Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pmTrack Changes
Award of the Rotary Wing Primary Training Aircraft requirement for six (6) new Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) rotary wing primary trainers, two (2) corresponding Flight Training Devices and critical spare parts in support of the Non-Standard Rotary Wing Aircraft (NSWRA) Project Office. Options for forty-eight (48) additional new COTS rotary wing primary trainers, two (2) additional FTDs and critical spare parts are included.
Contracting Office Address:
AMCOM Contracting Center - Air (AMCOM-CC), ATTN: AMSAM-AC, Building 5303, Martin Road, Redstone Arsenal, AL 35898-5280
UPDATE - two days after HeliHub.com broke the news above, MD released the following
MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a leading manufacturer of commercial and military helicopters, has been awarded a $186 million contract the Department of the Army for its Rotary Wing Primary Training Aircraft (RWPTA) to be used in Shindand, Afghanistan. The initial award calls for six (6) MD 530F Helicopters for training purposes and could reach as many as fifty four (54) aircraft over the life of the four year contract. The Department of the Army Contract W58RGZ-11-C-0070, Non-Standard Rotary Wing Aircraft (NSRWA) as awarded to MD Helicopters includes all critical spares provisioning.
“This is a great day for MD and for me. We feel privileged by the opportunity to support the U.S. Army and deeply honored by the significance of the award,” said Lynn Tilton, Chairman and CEO of MD Helicopters.
In his letter of award, dated March 10, 2011, Contracting Officer, William Epps wrote, “MD Helicopter’s proposal was determined to present the offer that represented the lowest price and technically acceptable proposal to the Government and thus was selected for Award. I would like to extend to you and your team my congratulations.”
The MD 530F is a perfect fit for this training mission. Equipped with the 650 shp Rolls Royce 250-C30 engine and longer main-rotor blades, the MD 530F is the company’s finest high-altitude, hot-day performer. When compared to the MD 500E, the 530F’s tailboom is extended eight inches, and the tail rotor blades are also lengthened to provide increased thrust and directional control at high altitudes.
The MD 530F increases the operational capabilities over the MD 500E as well, enabling greater mission versatility and performance. This dependable workhorse has greater take-off power at significantly higher hover ceiling levels than its competitors, with in-ground-effect hover capability of 16,000 feet ISA. The MD 530F is known for its speed, agility, low direct operating costs and the ability to operate with ease in confined spaces.
- Sequoia Helicopters selects Becker emergency beacon locator for SAR ops
- 30-Sep-12 N530KD MD Helicopters MD530F Decorah, US-Iowa
- 24-Sep-12 N911BL MD Helicopters MD530F Las Vegas, US-Nevada
- MD Helicopters awarded $40M for 12 MD530Fs for Saudi Arabia
- Ahlers Aerospace wins MD contract for Engine Power Out Monitors
- Cobham to supply critical helicopter components for Afghan pilot training
- US Government approves 12 MD530Fs for Saudi Arabia
- Afghanistan accepts six MD530Fs
- MD Helicopters awarded $14M support contract for Afghanistan
- Six MD530Fs handed over for Afghan training role
- MD Helicopters awarded $14M for Afghanistan support
- Rotors of the Rockies announces their new NVG training program
- MD Helicopters delivers new MD530F to Kauai Fire Dept
- Switzerland’s Fuchs Helicopter buys a new MD530F
- MD’s Lynn Tilton to be honored as Living Legend of Aviation
- MD produced 12 helicopters in 2010, not 50
- Ecuador – Guayquil Police add R44 and MD530F
- Saudi Arabia files FMS requests to purchase 190 helicopters
- MD530F delivered to Corporate Helicopters of San Diego
- MD Helicopters Earns Chinese Certification for MD500E, MD530F, MD520N