NAVAL AIR FACILITY MISAWA, Japan – Sailors attached to Helicopter Antisubmarine Squadron Light 51 performed routine maintenance on the squadron’s SH-60B/F helicopters, March 27, 2011 at the squadron’s temporary home, here.
The sailors, who normally operate from Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan, are performing the maintenance to ensure that the helicopters stay capable of performing the rigorous tasking the squadron receives in support of Operation Tomodachi.
“Maintenance is an ongoing need,” said Chief Petty Officer Andrew Clay, aviation electronics technician, attached to HSL 51’s maintenance control department. “We have to do maintenance, and we’re supporting the humanitarian assistance effort. We’re getting into a routine now as everything returns a little bit back to normal.”
HSL-51 relocated to Naval Air Facility Misawa after the March 11, 2011 earthquake that caused a devastating tsunami on Japan’s eastern coast.
“It was chaotic at first, but we plan for these situations,” said Clay, a native of Ironton, Ohio. “We went from training and routine work, to assisting with a humanitarian and disaster relief effort.”
For the first time since arriving in Misawa, HSL 51 was able to perform a strictly routine maintenance flight. The functional check flight is performed after a helicopter has received service in the shop. This is done to make sure the helicopter functions as needed.
“After 175 hours of flight time we must inspect the helicopters,” continued Clay. “Once the helicopter is inspected, we conduct the FCF. We make sure that everything is functional, that the helo has no excessive vibrations.”
- Ducommun receives Flow-on Black Hawk contract
- Turkey’s Alp Aviation to provide warehousing and distribution of Sikorsky parts
- September launch for Sikorsky’s Training Academy in Oklahoma
- 11-Jun-13 Sikorsky UH-60 Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan
- CAE breaks ground on new training centre in Brunei
- FLIR Systems wins $23M US Coast Guard order
- Sikorsky awarded $11M contract for one UH-60M for Thailand
- Turkey’s Aselsan secures Sikorsky helicopter subcontract
- Colorado National Guard to open new $39M training facility
- Prototype Engineering awarded $10M Black Hawk overhaul work
- 16-Apr-13 Sikorsky CH-53E Chelwon, Korea
- Donaldson delivers engine filters for US Army Black Hawks
- Breeze-Eastern secures $6M order for Advanced Rescue Hoists
- 01-Apr-13 FAC-4105 Sikorsky UH-60L Tabacal, Colombia
- Swedish Black Hawks head for Afghanistan
- 11-Mar-13 Sikorsky UH-60 Daman district, Afghanistan (5F)
- L-3 Aviation Products Selected for Sikorsky H-60 and S-70i
- 15-Mar-13 Sikorsky MH-60R Chula Vista, US-California
- 24-Feb-13 EJC-2154 Sikorsky UH-60L Vistahermosa, Colombia (4F)
- Cold spray system wins environmental technology award