HAI was in Boston, Mass. this week sharing with professional planners from around the world a simple but important message: consider helicopters and heliports early in the process of planning your communities.
Director of Flight Operations and Technical Services Harold Summers manned the HAI booth at the American Planning Associationâ€™s National Planning Conference at Bostonâ€™s Hynes Convention Center April 9-12. The conference brought together more than 5,000 professional planners, elected officials and business leaders to discuss topics ranging from day-to-day project management to long-range planning.
â€œPlanners often donâ€™t think about helicopters and how they can benefit a community until after the construction stops and a need arisesâ€”a helipad for a hospital, a public-safety agency or a local business,â€ Summers said. â€œThis conference is an unparalleled opportunity to interact with hundreds of officials involved in land-use planning and zoning at every level of government.â€
Summers was joined by Don Scimonelli, a member of the HAI Heliports Committee and manager of Washingtonâ€™s South Capitol Street Heliport. At the HAI booth, they played the 2002 film â€œStraight Up: Helicopters in Actionâ€ and the HAI-produced video on helicopters supporting rescue and relief operations after Hurricane Katrina struck the U.S. coast along the northern Gulf of Mexico in 2005. They also distributed other HAI products, includingÂ Heliports: the 25 Most Asked Questions and Answers, theÂ Fly Neighborly Guide, and theÂ Planning Ahead for Helicopters flyer.
HAI has been exhibiting at the American Planning Association annual conference for seven years. Of this yearâ€™s roughly 90 exhibitors, HAI was the only aviation organization represented. Summers and Scimonelli were keen to explain how HAI employs its resources in support of the development of public heliports by working with city planners, zoning regulators, city fire marshals, the FAA, the Department of Transportation and the EPA.
Commenting on the interest shown HAI at the conference, Summers says, â€œwe planted the seed of knowledge that brings hope and development to our field; we did our part, now itâ€™s time for them to do theirs.â€
- Oklahoma Passes Bill for Aerial Gunning of Wild Hogs
- CAACI Issues Warning after Kite Collision
- RMAF welcomes upgraded Nuri helicopter
- GTA signs MoU to provide maintenance for HFA helicopters
- Russian Proposal for Service Centre in Sri Lanka
- 5th EDA HTIC to ‘take off’ with home-grown teachers
- Pawan Hans and Airbus Helicopters Collaborates for Maintenance Partnership
- Garmin® Unveils the Next Generation of All-in-One ADS-B Transponders
- HeliRussia and Show Observer celebrate a decade of partnership
- Agreement Between Helang Flying Academy & Rotortrade Services
- Pawan Hans, Dedicated First Integrated Heliport to the Nation
- Sky-Futures and Bristow Conduct Successful Interoperability Flight Test
- Thales delivers a flight and navigation training simulator to the Royal Malaysian Air Force
- SAFE Structure delivers hangar equipment to New Mexico Army National Guard
- Marine Corps Struggle with CH-53K Pricing
- Lifshitz & Miller LLP Announces Investigation of Air Methods
- Leonardo Expands In The Philippines
- The European Union and South Asia strengthen ties in civil aviation
- Bristow Group To Present At The Scotia Howard Weil 45th Annual Energy Conference
- Able Signs Exclusive Service Agreement with Eagle Australasia