HAI was in Boston, Mass. this week sharing with professional planners from around the world a simple but important message: consider helicopters and heliports early in the process of planning your communities.
Director of Flight Operations and Technical Services Harold Summers manned the HAI booth at the American Planning Associationâ€™s National Planning Conference at Bostonâ€™s Hynes Convention Center April 9-12. The conference brought together more than 5,000 professional planners, elected officials and business leaders to discuss topics ranging from day-to-day project management to long-range planning.
â€œPlanners often donâ€™t think about helicopters and how they can benefit a community until after the construction stops and a need arisesâ€”a helipad for a hospital, a public-safety agency or a local business,â€ Summers said. â€œThis conference is an unparalleled opportunity to interact with hundreds of officials involved in land-use planning and zoning at every level of government.â€
Summers was joined by Don Scimonelli, a member of the HAI Heliports Committee and manager of Washingtonâ€™s South Capitol Street Heliport. At the HAI booth, they played the 2002 film â€œStraight Up: Helicopters in Actionâ€ and the HAI-produced video on helicopters supporting rescue and relief operations after Hurricane Katrina struck the U.S. coast along the northern Gulf of Mexico in 2005. They also distributed other HAI products, includingÂ Heliports: the 25 Most Asked Questions and Answers, theÂ Fly Neighborly Guide, and theÂ Planning Ahead for Helicopters flyer.
HAI has been exhibiting at the American Planning Association annual conference for seven years. Of this yearâ€™s roughly 90 exhibitors, HAI was the only aviation organization represented. Summers and Scimonelli were keen to explain how HAI employs its resources in support of the development of public heliports by working with city planners, zoning regulators, city fire marshals, the FAA, the Department of Transportation and the EPA.
Commenting on the interest shown HAI at the conference, Summers says, â€œwe planted the seed of knowledge that brings hope and development to our field; we did our part, now itâ€™s time for them to do theirs.â€
- Penzance HP team point out flaws in Steamship AW169 plans
- Helinetwork presents you with a new free service – RotorPlace.
- LCI closes on $55M capital market financing
- Era Group Celebrates 70 Years of Service
- New Isles of Scilly helicopter link to use AW169
- Helipass reaches 6 million bookings
- Where in the USA Do Helicopter Accidents Occur?
- Sikorsky awarded $127M contract for CH-53K Production
- Robinson adds wire strike system for R66
- BIRD Aerosystems wins follow-on contract for ASIO SMA
- TRAXXALL Technologies Announces New Client
- Voom helicopter booking platform joins Airbus
- USHST appoints Government Co-Chair
- Wills and Legal Services raises £540,000 for hospital helipads
- Convention Data Services signs three year Heli-Expo contract
- Avian-Precise Co awarded $57M contract for Vertical Lift Engineering
- First EMS AW169 launched in the Nordics
- Japan Coast Guard acquires four Bell 505s
- CHC Appoints New General Counsel
- Alyssum Group acquires aviation services company RocketRoute