London’s Evening Standard newspaper has reported that major Boris Johnson’s planning team has been accused of blocking a proposal to turn the retired HMS Ark Royal aircraft carrier into a floating heliport.Â They suggest that the consortium behind the bid should not claims that they have the full support of businesses and the Mayor for their plan to permanently moor the ship on the River Thames near London City Airport.
City Hall insiders are quoted saying that any proposal for a new heliport in London would be against the principles set out in the London Plan, the Mayor’s vision for the capital which will be published this summer.Â Nick Tubbs, the developer behind the scheme, remains positive, saying “It is unquestionably possible for the London Plan to be rewritten sufficiently because this is an outstanding opportunity for London.”
The disposal of Ark Royal has raised some amusement, given it is currently listed in the Tenders section of the UK government eDisposals.com site which says it is “In Stock” and you can click an “Add to Cart” button to buy it online. (see screen shot below).Â Other potential future uses include a multi-venue nightclub, apparently.
Jeremy Parkin, HeliHub.com
- TenCate supplies compression molded parts for Bell 525
- Metro Aviation Delivers North America’s First H145 T2
- World Helicopter Day
- Flight nurses in Flight For Life crash file lawsuit
- 6 Units Honored at Night Vision Awards ALEA 2015
- AW119MkII Crosstubes Complete DART’s Landing Gear Portfolio
- AHS appoint new Membership Director
- HTM takes delivery of first H135 in wind farm support
- DRF flies 19,525 EMS flight in first half of 2015 across Germany
- Bird Aerosystems works with Bell to create surveillance 407 ASIO
- Australian Helicopters reveals first AW139 for Ambulance Victoria
- Heli-One showcases extensive MRO capabilities with new website
- FAA: Wildfires and Drones Don’t Mix
- Heli-Union adds third Cabri to training fleet
- Robinson Upgrades R66 Police Helicopter
- North Carolina helipad approved
- Heli-skiing plan divides Colorado neighbors
- Onboard Systems R66 cargo hook approved by FAA
- Fort Drum Kiowas make final flight
- Offshore Helicopter Leasing – an Existential Risk?