London's Evening Standard newspaper has reported that major Boris Johnson's planning team has been accused of blocking a proposal to turn the retired HMS Ark Royal aircraft carrier into a floating heliport. They suggest that the consortium behind the bid should not claims that they have the full support of businesses and the Mayor for their plan to permanently moor the ship on the River Thames near London City Airport.
City Hall insiders are quoted saying that any proposal for a new heliport in London would be against the principles set out in the London Plan, the Mayor's vision for the capital which will be published this summer. Nick Tubbs, the developer behind the scheme, remains positive, saying "It is unquestionably possible for the London Plan to be rewritten sufficiently because this is an outstanding opportunity for London."
The disposal of Ark Royal has raised some amusement, given it is currently listed in the Tenders section of the UK government eDisposals.com site which says it is "In Stock" and you can click an "Add to Cart" button to buy it online. (see screen shot below). Other potential future uses include a multi-venue nightclub, apparently.
Jeremy Parkin, HeliHub.com
- Mississippi DPS selects Cloud Cap Technology TASE 400HD for AS350B3e
- Spokane Sheriff expanding Air 1 program
- Excellence in Avionics Awards Have Launched
- First of Australia’s Landing Helicopter Dock starts final sea trials
- All Metal Announces The As350 Canopy for Aircraft Maintanance
- Gracetown joyflight helicopter vandalised
- Vietnam southern hub wants to have helipad at headquarters
- The Bell 525 Relentless Fly-by-Wire Technology Sets the New Standard in Commercial Helicopter Control
- L-3 Vertex awarded $13M modification to TH-57 support contract
- Poland says to speed up attack helicopter purchase due to Ukraine crisis
- Budgets, Not Tech, May Delay US Army’s Next Rotorcraft
- UK – Helipad upgrade at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital welcomed
- Australia – Mannum hospital helipad plans unclear
- Huey Helicopter Museum opens in Australia
- Basta Holdings and Heliflight Peru signs LOI for leasing JV
- Robots Moving Robots: Lockheed Martin Conducts First Fully Autonomous Mission
- CGX Energy contracts with Bristow Helicopters in Guyana
- Breeze-Eastern Announces New Product Innovation Center and Reorganization
- Medics fear new hospital helipad as 14-storey drop puts staff on edge
- Caboolture Warplane Museum adds an Iroquois helicopter to its collection