London's Evening Standard newspaper has reported that major Boris Johnson's planning team has been accused of blocking a proposal to turn the retired HMS Ark Royal aircraft carrier into a floating heliport. They suggest that the consortium behind the bid should not claims that they have the full support of businesses and the Mayor for their plan to permanently moor the ship on the River Thames near London City Airport.
City Hall insiders are quoted saying that any proposal for a new heliport in London would be against the principles set out in the London Plan, the Mayor's vision for the capital which will be published this summer. Nick Tubbs, the developer behind the scheme, remains positive, saying "It is unquestionably possible for the London Plan to be rewritten sufficiently because this is an outstanding opportunity for London."
The disposal of Ark Royal has raised some amusement, given it is currently listed in the Tenders section of the UK government eDisposals.com site which says it is "In Stock" and you can click an "Add to Cart" button to buy it online. (see screen shot below). Other potential future uses include a multi-venue nightclub, apparently.
Jeremy Parkin, HeliHub.com
- Now in black: DART’s ultra-resistant Floor Protectors
- DART’s new interference-proof Tail Rotor Pedal Lockout
- DART Tough Corrosion-Resistant Engine Mounts
- Enstrom Helicopter STC Approved for Aspen Display Retrofit
- Go Light – the new cockpit invention set to improve aviation safety?
- Georgia State Patrol Expands Bell Helicopter Fleet at ALEA 2014
- Bell Helicopter Selected by the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office for a Bell 407GX
- Garmin Pilot goes global
- Bristow Certified to Fly AgustaWestland AW189
- Phoenix Heli-Flight unveils new EC135T2e
- Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance receive £75,000 donation
- Flight & Duty Tracker™ updates website; Continues to expand customer base
- Loss of situational awareness and control likely caused fatal 2013 Manitoba JetRanger accident
- UTair technicians are first to receive EC175 maintenance training
- Phoenix Heliparts expands online store with Timken replacement parts
- Advanced Helicopter Services to maintain Sacramento OH-58s
- Thales Helicopter Training Centre receives EASA qualification and starts operations
- ExecuJet Africa expands helicopter charter fleet
- Airbus Helicopters Inc partners with Precision Aviation Services and Government Capital Corp
- Precision Aviation Services announces New MD Helicopters Service Center