London’s Evening Standard newspaper has reported that major Boris Johnson’s planning team has been accused of blocking a proposal to turn the retired HMS Ark Royal aircraft carrier into a floating heliport.Â They suggest that the consortium behind the bid should not claims that they have the full support of businesses and the Mayor for their plan to permanently moor the ship on the River Thames near London City Airport.
City Hall insiders are quoted saying that any proposal for a new heliport in London would be against the principles set out in the London Plan, the Mayor’s vision for the capital which will be published this summer.Â Nick Tubbs, the developer behind the scheme, remains positive, saying “It is unquestionably possible for the London Plan to be rewritten sufficiently because this is an outstanding opportunity for London.”
The disposal of Ark Royal has raised some amusement, given it is currently listed in the Tenders section of the UK government eDisposals.com site which says it is “In Stock” and you can click an “Add to Cart” button to buy it online. (see screen shot below).Â Other potential future uses include a multi-venue nightclub, apparently.
Jeremy Parkin, HeliHub.com
- Statoil drops Super Puma for ever
- Marenco Swisshelicopter appoints new CEO as founder leaves
- Wessex Helicopter Restoration goes on Display
- Bristow to present two Energy Conferences
- Sloane Helicopters appoints new Robinson Sales Manager
- Bristow Academy’s Gerald Marchal Wins AMT Next Gen Award
- Helijet air ambulance service resumes at all hospital heliports in B.C.
- HNZ Group announces joint venture in Australia to support INPEX contract
- Milestone Names Daniel Rosenthal President and CEO
- Erickson Inc. Receives Final Court Approval of DIP Financing Facility
- PAC International upgrades EC145 for Allegheny Health Network’s LifeFlight program
- Safran activates fully-automated helicopter engine turbine blade production line
- New Additions to Superior Air Fleet
- First EMS Helipad for Manitoba
- Indonesian Air Force Receives First Delivery of H225Ms
- Retrenched Caverton Workers Protest
- Shut Down of Bristow Helicopters in Nigeria
- Dhruv Interested in EASA Certification
- Spain Questions Israel about Drone
- Kenyan Military Receives 6 Hueys