London's Evening Standard newspaper has reported that major Boris Johnson's planning team has been accused of blocking a proposal to turn the retired HMS Ark Royal aircraft carrier into a floating heliport. They suggest that the consortium behind the bid should not claims that they have the full support of businesses and the Mayor for their plan to permanently moor the ship on the River Thames near London City Airport.
City Hall insiders are quoted saying that any proposal for a new heliport in London would be against the principles set out in the London Plan, the Mayor's vision for the capital which will be published this summer. Nick Tubbs, the developer behind the scheme, remains positive, saying "It is unquestionably possible for the London Plan to be rewritten sufficiently because this is an outstanding opportunity for London."
The disposal of Ark Royal has raised some amusement, given it is currently listed in the Tenders section of the UK government eDisposals.com site which says it is "In Stock" and you can click an "Add to Cart" button to buy it online. (see screen shot below). Other potential future uses include a multi-venue nightclub, apparently.
Jeremy Parkin, HeliHub.com
- Air Methods director Tahbaz sells over $825K of company shares
- Air Methods director Bernstein sells over $530K of company shares
- Air Methods director Carleton sells over $828K of company shares
- Final report from ditched R44 in Stockholm
- Bell and Textron Systems Announce First Joint Appearance at NATO Days
- Bell Introduces Bell 505 Jet Ranger X to South Africa
- Bell Continues to Promote Safety Worldwide with Fourth Safety Symposium in 2014
- Russian Helicopters to showcase commercial and military helicopters at AAD 2014 in South Africa
- FAA approves Cool City Avionics autopilot STC on R44
- Airbus Helicopters Canada Delivers AS350 for Muti-Mission Use
- Bose A20 Headsets and Electronic Flight Bags Arrive for Student Helicopter Pilots in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- V-22 flight tests validate ‘hot and high’ capability for Rolls-Royce AE 1107C engines
- Boeing to Explore Assisting Sky-Watch on Danish UAV Development Project
- Sikorsky Aircraft Selects LORD Corporation’s UltraConductive™ Technology for the S-97 RAIDER™ Helicopter Program
- USU Begins Rotorcraft Bachelor’s Program for Future Helicopter Pilots
- Rescue Helicopter Trust drops bid for funding from Board
- NTSB Sued for Obstruction of Justice
- Sikorsky awarded $9.2M delivery order for VH-3D interior overhaul
- Sikorsky awarded $14.5M for UH-60 transmisison overhauls
- AHIA queries Australian accident rates and latest FAA data