London's Evening Standard newspaper has reported that major Boris Johnson's planning team has been accused of blocking a proposal to turn the retired HMS Ark Royal aircraft carrier into a floating heliport. They suggest that the consortium behind the bid should not claims that they have the full support of businesses and the Mayor for their plan to permanently moor the ship on the River Thames near London City Airport.
City Hall insiders are quoted saying that any proposal for a new heliport in London would be against the principles set out in the London Plan, the Mayor's vision for the capital which will be published this summer. Nick Tubbs, the developer behind the scheme, remains positive, saying "It is unquestionably possible for the London Plan to be rewritten sufficiently because this is an outstanding opportunity for London."
The disposal of Ark Royal has raised some amusement, given it is currently listed in the Tenders section of the UK government eDisposals.com site which says it is "In Stock" and you can click an "Add to Cart" button to buy it online. (see screen shot below). Other potential future uses include a multi-venue nightclub, apparently.
Jeremy Parkin, HeliHub.com
- Register Update – USA – week to 9 March 2014
- Bristow to present at Howard Weil 42nd Annual Energy Conference
- Vector Signs Exclusive 5-year MRO Support Contract with Sunshine Helicopters
- Vector Financial Services appoints Sales Director
- A Royal Visit to London Air Ambulance
- Robinson R44 rescues 11 from South African river
- Virtual Lynx MK.9A joins British Army fleet
- Dallas Avionics named exclusive US Distributor for Technisonic TDFM 9100 Transceiver
- Base for Australian MH-60R fleet progresses at full speed
- INAER Spain joins with University of Alicante for R&D
- UK – New ED plans at Hull Royal Infirmary include helipad
- MEAHA endorses Dubai Helishow
- Embry-RIddle opens registration for online Human Factors course
- Profile – Midwest Helicopter Airways
- Gundersen Health System adds helipad
- Universal Avionics appoints Program Development Manager, Military and Government
- As wildfire season nears, proposal to fund Colorado fleet stalled
- Integration of Flightcell tracking into Spidertracks website
- California man gets 14 years for pointing laser at police helicopter
- Analysis Report – US DoD and Civil Helicopter Markets