A new Russian light helicopter, the Berkut VL, will go on show for the first time at the Moscow Air Show at Moscow's Zhukovsky Airport next week, the manufacturer announced yesterday. “We will show the first production standard Berkut VL, patented for mass production, at MAKS,” a Berkut representative said. The company has not provided detailed information on how this variant differs from the standard Berkut shown at HeliRussia earlier this year.
Berkut VL is a two-seat light commercial helicopter with a take-off weight of 740 kg, a 147 hp engine, a maximum speed of 174 km/h, and range of 380 km. The machine is being produced at a plant in Tolyatti in central Russia. The factory can produce up to 15 a month, and they are aiming directly at the R22 market. Robinson have been very successful in Russia with both the R22 and R44.
Berkut’s chief designer Valentin Malkin said that using a coaxial rotor format means that the helicopter is easy to fly for new pilots.
“These helicopters have no competitor in Russia,” Berkut’s development director Dmitry Rumyantsev said. “They are competitive with foreign helicopters in their technical characteristics, but are around half the price.”. The pricing is dependent on various engine options. With a Lycoming O-320 engine, the price is estimated around $130,000 with a "quantity discount" available - if you commit to ten airframes, the price reduces to 105,000. With a local Russian ConverVAZ engine, a much lower figure of $70,000 is being quoted.
HeliHub.com has not found a photo of the Berkut flying, so our view on the production status of the type is a cautious one.
Nikolai Vanesev - HeliHub.com Moscow correspondent
- Bristow – EC225 situation will last another year or more
- Iraqi Army receives last of 24 Bell 407s
- Argentine Air Force to add two Bell 412s
- EBACE – AgustaWestland pushes VIP-role AW169
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance goes operational
- EBACE – Bell showcases 429
- AHS – Prevailing In “Demanding Environments”
- HAI Participates at HeliRussia 2013
- Bristow publish results for Q4 and Year ended 31st March 2013
- Floating helipad returns to Destin
- R66 lands at North Pole
- Nine new customers in China for Enstrom
- Eurocopter to supply EC225 and AS350B3e to China’s State Grid General Aviation Company
- CAE upgrades visuals on Royal Navy Lynx Mk8 full-mission simulator
- Keystone Med-Flight Announces New VP of Operations
- Fourth corporate AW139 sold into UK market
- REACH adds sixth EC135
- Enstrom breaks ground on production plant expansion
- Bell promotes innovation at AHS Forum 69
- HAI at AHS Forum 69