Defense Technology Inc. announced today that they completed teaching one year of Mi-17 intermediate level maintenance training for the Afghan Air Force. Over thirty Afghan soldiers have now graduated from the class and are ready to lead maintenance teams in the field.
Under the leadership of the USAF 440th Air Expeditionary Squadron, these classes were designed to provide experienced maintenance personnel with a refresher of OEM maintenance techniques and added theory to assist with trouble shooting.
The senior Afghan maintainers have a strong level of experience, but most have not had OEM-type training in 20 years. The commander of the Afghan Aviation Maintenance Group, Colonel Abdul Shafi, said that, "These courses have helped increase the knowledge of our Mi-17 maintainers and will improve the maintenance posture of our (Afghan) Air Force in general." He also noted that, "Graduates must apply what they have learned in the course to their responsibilities in maintaining the helicopters on the flight line."
The DTI training team, led by Bryon Kreck, received letters of appreciation from Afghan Air Force Lt. Gen. Abdul Wahab for their exceptional service in support of this program.
About DTI -
DTI is committed to supporting the warfighter in Afghanistan by providing certified Mi-17/35 hardware and services at the best possible price. DTI is the only U.S. company to have provided all phases of Mi-17 life cycle support, including the delivery of new aircraft, field maintenance, training, spares and overhaul. For more information, see www.DefTechInc.com.
DTI is headquartered in Huntsville, Ala., with offices in Kiev, Moscow, Bahrain, and Kabul.
- Denel Aviation to expand Mi-8 / MI-17 South African service centre
- LOM Praha awarded with $1.3M contract for Mi-17 pilot training
- Russian Helicopters launches South Africa service centre with Denel Aviation
- Afghan helicopters support independent operations
- 25-Feb-13 EJC-3378 Mil Mi-17 San Juan de Sumapaz, Colombia
- Nepalese Government approve two Mi-17s for Army
- 18-Jan-13 Mil Mi-17 Timberwara, India
- Pawan Hans ops launched in Himachal Pradesh
- Cornische Aviation files protest over US procurement of Mi-17 overhauls
- 17-Oct-12 Mil Mi-17 Maarat AL Numan, Syria
- Denel Aviation and Russian Helicopters sign maintenance agreement
- 15-Sep-12 Mil MI-17 Banke, Nepal
- Russian Helicopters to showcase in-demand models at ILA 2012
- UTair Engineering renews Peruvian MRO certificates
- UTair Engineering renews Russian MRO certificates
- 27-Aug-12 Mil Mi-17 Damascus, Syria (1F)
- Sikorsky in engine talks with Motor Sich
- US House of Representatives votes 407-5 to stop Mi-17 purchases
- 11-Jul-12 Mil Mi-17 Skardu, Pakistan (6F)
- 13-Jun-12 EJC-3381 Mil Mi-17 Carepa, Colombia (1F)