CHC Helicopter today announced strong revenue and EBITDA growth in its fiscal first-quarter 2012, at the same time it was planning and carrying out a transformation initiative to best position the company for profitable, long-term growth.
Separately, the company said its owner, First Reserve Corp., intends to invest an additional $100 million in equity in the company in the current quarter, to help fund continued expansion in the midst of strong growth in offshore helicopter services.
Summary results from the first quarter, which ended July 31, include (all year-over-year comparisons):
- Revenue of $409.6 million, up 22 percent from $337.0 million
- EBITDAR (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization and Rent) of $100.1 million, an increase of 13 percent from $88.6 million
- EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization) of $59.6 million, up 22 percent from $49.0 million, and
- A net loss of $2.9 million, compared with net earnings of $0.6 million.
EDITDAR and EBITDA are important earnings measures in CHC’s industry.
The company achieved higher revenue and EBITDA in both its flying and MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) business segments. Flying revenue was up in all major regions, including Europe, Australia, Brazil and the Africa Euro-Asia region. EBITDAR and EBITDA increases resulted primarily from margin generated by additional revenue.
The net loss was attributable to a number of unusual items, including $4.8 million in restructuring costs. Those costs were mostly related to CHC’s transformation initiative to improve operations and increase efficiency, as well as a charge of $7.4 million for impairment of a number of older assets held for sale.
William Amelio, CHC’s president and chief executive officer, said the first-quarter results were further evidence of increasing improvement in the company’s operations and strength in markets in which it operates.
“We are bullish about our industry, and believe CHC’s global reach, responsiveness to customers and commitment to safety â€“ together with what we expect to accomplish through our broad transformation initiative â€“ put us in an extremely favorable competitive position,” said Mr. Amelio. “The increased equity commitment from our shareholders shows that others have that same confidence.”
Financial Statements Release
CHC will release its unaudited interim consolidated financial statements for the first quarter of fiscal year 2012 at its website,Â www.chc.ca, after markets close on Wednesday, Sept. 28.
CHC will host a conference call to discuss first quarter results on Thursday, Sept. 29, at 5:00 p.m. EST. The earnings call can be accessed via telephone with the following information:
Phone: +1 (647) 427-3413
1 (888) 241-0394 (North America toll-free)
Conference ID: 13120900
Participants are encouraged to dial into the conference call 15 minutes before the scheduled start time, to assure access and full participation. Additionally, a link to accompanying content in slide format will be provided at CHC’s websiteÂ www.chc.ca.
CHC reports on FY2012 Q1, owner commits $100M for expansion
- The Challenges and Adventures of Helicopter Maintenance
- 28-Feb-15 Robinson R22 Archerfield, Australia
- 28-Feb-15 VH-YHD Enstrom 280C Deception Bay, Australia
- Vanderbilt LifeFlight extends plasma trial
- MV-22 Osprey refuels from KC-10 for the first time
- Kuwait to operate first EMS Bell 429s in Middle East
- Helicentre Aviation Academy’s Cabri G2 Fleet Increases to Five
- UK civilian SAR launched with ceremony
- Vision Systems to unveil dimmable sun visor at Heli-Expo
- Rockwell Collins launches Pro Line Fusion for commercial helicopter platforms
- SLU Partners with Midwest Helicopter to Offer Flight Training
- UK Air ambulance charities receive share of £5M banking sector fines
- Snowy Hydro SouthCare boss leaving for new cancer charity role
- Ambulance Victoria Takes Delivery of its first AW139
- UAE takes delivery of three SAR AW139s
- VIH Aerospace Exhibiting at Heli-Expo 2015
- REACH Air Medical Services Completes 100,000 Successful Patient Transports
- Perry Siler Announces Retirement at Conclusion of Heli-Expo 2016
- Safe Flight Icing Conditions Detector on Display at Heli-Expo
- Garmin Introduces Helicopter-Specific ADS-B Solutions