Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. has delivered an S-70i BLACK HAWK helicopter to Jalisco, the first state government in Mexico to acquire the newest variant of the worldâ€™s most employed military utility aircraft. Jalisco state police will deploy the aircraft for general law enforcement with initial aircraft operation anticipated during Octoberâ€™s XVI Pan American Games. Sikorsky is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX).
â€œAn aircraft of this quality and value is a big investment for a state,â€ said Luis Carlos Najera Guittierrez de Velasco, Secretario de Seguridad Publica of Jalisco. â€œThe functionality and performance of this S-70i helicopter means that Jalisco now has a new and valuable tool to support our policing in the region.â€
Designed specifically for the international marketplace, S-70i BLACK HAWK helicopters are manufactured at Sikorskyâ€™s production facility in Mielec, Poland. The delivery to Jalisco marks the fourth successful export of an S-70i aircraft from PZL Mielec in the last 60 days.
The S-70i aircraft arrived in Guadalajara on September 18 aboard an IL76 Cargo plane from Poland less than four months after the state placed the order with Sikorsky in late May 2011.
â€œWe are very pleased we could deliver this S-70i variant in time for the Pan American Games,â€ said Robert Mastronardi, S-70i Senior Program Manager, Sikorsky Military Systems. â€œOur ability to produce and directly export BLACK HAWK aircraft to international customers is an excellent way for national and state governments around the world to quickly acquire a helicopter platform renowned for its reliability, high performance and multi-role versatility.â€
Captain Rogelio Barrera Gonzalez, Chief Pilot for the State of Jalisco, arrived at Sikorskyâ€™s PZL Mielec facility in Poland on September 12. After touring the PZL manufacturing and flight operations, Captain Barrera immediately began ground and flight acceptance procedures.
â€œI was very pleased with the quality of the aircraft, the facility and the people that made this product a reality for the State of Jalisco,â€ said Captain Barrera. â€œI would like to thank all of those people in Mexico, the United States and in Poland who supported the purchase and delivery of this helicopter. I am very excited to start flight operations with the State of Jalisco.â€
Captain Barrera has now started ground and flight training at PZL Mielec and will meet up with the aircraft in early October.
The S-70i helicopter marks the 20th BLACK HAWK aircraft now operational in Mexico. The Mexican Air Force, the Mexican Navy and Federal Police operate a total of 19 UH-60L and UH-60M BLACK HAWK aircraft acquired since the mid 1990s. Sikorsky expects to deliver another three UH-60M BLACK HAWK aircraft to the Federal Police by early 2012.
â€œThe delivery to the State of Jalisco of this exceptional and unique S-70i BLACK HAWK product highlights the fact that we are witnessing the growth of a new generation of internationally built BLACK HAWK helicopters, built in Poland and ready to serve world markets,â€ said Janusz Zakrecki, CEO of PZL Mielec.
The S-70i aircraft delivers the same power and lift performance as UH-60M BLACK HAWK aircraft, which are operated in large numbers by the U.S. Army. The S-70i utility aircraft version can typically weigh between 800 and 1,000 lbs. lighter than the fully equipped UH60M aircraft, providing increased speed and performance for the end user.
The S-70i aircraftâ€™s advanced avionics include a dual GPS/INS system with digital map that provides accurate navigation and enhanced situational awareness. An active vibration control system delivers a smooth overall ride of the aircraft, which can be ordered with user-specific navigation, communications and other tactical equipment.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., USA, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., USA, provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
HeliHub.com editor note – currently test flying in Poland as SP-YVF, this S70i will become XC-SPJ once operating in Mexico
- Sikorsky awarded $25M five-year contract for Black Hawk blade repairs
- BSC Partners awarded $6M modification to MH-60S trainer contract
- Fleet Readiness Center Southeast takes on Pave Hawk
- Calspan to provide Variable Stability System for U.S. Naval Test Pilot School Black Hawk
- Widows of MH-60S Pilots Killed in 2013 Red Sea crash file lawsuit
- Sikorsky contracted for two more UH-60Ms for Mexican Navy
- Sikorsky picks Rockwell Collins avionics for combat rescue UH-60W
- SAIC awarded $11.8M contract for MH-60 weapon system support
- Raytheon wins $33M contract modification for ten MH-60R sonar systems
- Sikorsky contracted for four UH-60Ms for Slovakia
- Aurora Flight Sciences awarded $15M more for UH-60 ALIAS program
- 04-Sep-15 Sikorsky UH-60 Sanford, US-Florida
- CAE Brunei Multi-Purpose Training Centre plans to become ATO
- Sikorsky awarded $10M contract to expand UH-60L Aircrew Labor In-Cockpit Automation System
- San Diego Air & Space Museum welcomes SH-60B Seahawk
- Elbit to Supply DIRCM Self-Protection Systems for European and Asian Black Hawks
- 21-Jul-15 81-23609 Sikorsky UH-60 McPherson, US-Kansas
- 14-Jul-15 Sikorsky UH-60 El Bejuco, Colombia (4F)
- Sikorsky awarded $11M modification for Jordanian UH-60M order
- CAE to develop an MH-60R composite maintenance trainer for Australia