Leading Aircrewman Sarah Christenson from 820 Naval Air Squadron, a Merlin helicopter squadron based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, has become the first ever female to successfully complete the helicopter fast-roping instructors course.
Fast-roping is a technique used to deploy lightly-equipped troops rapidly into confined areas where helicopters cannot land.
The technique involves the fast-roper, wearing special gloves, sliding down a rope suspended from a helicopter hovering at heights of up to 85ft (26m). Only the fast-roper’s gloved hands are in direct contact with the rope.
Leading Aircrewman Christenson completed the course with a number of descents and despatching others from one of 820 Naval Air Squadron’s Merlins at Culdrose last week.
Royal Marines Colour Sergeant Pete Curley, chief roping instructor based at RAF Brize Norton, was the trainer for the course. He said:Â “I had the pleasure of awarding a helicopter fast-roping instructors certificate to Leading Hand Sarah Christenson, the first female on record to receive this award. Previous applicants have not achieved this award due to the strength and confidence required to conduct this type of training. Sarah showed both of these in abundance and even put a couple of other (male) members of the squadron to shame. Sarah impressed me and her peers and I hope she gets plenty of opportunity to carry out training with other troops.”
Commander Jason Phillips, Commanding Officer of 820 Naval Air Squadron, said: “Five members of the squadron gained their helicopter fast-roping instructors qualification this week, enabling the squadron to remain at readiness for a huge variety of tasking across the globe, some of which could involve roping troops from the aircraft. Leading Aircrewman Christenson should be proud to be the first female to achieve this qualification.”
- RUAG named Authorised Service Centre for the AW139 by Leonardo
- Heli-One Poland Receives EASA Approval for Leonardo AW139 Base Maintenance
- Rockwell Collins now providing automated check-in for Falcon Aviation
- Satcom Direct SD completes its acquisition of TrueNorth Avionics
- Unmanned Safety Institute Training Programs Educate Law Enforcement on Drone Activity
- Med-Trans Bases First Air Ambulance Helicopter in Baldwin County
- Helicentre Cabri G2 Fleet Increases to Six
- Rockwell Collins to provide sand and dust storm forecast for aviation operators
- Statoil drops Super Puma for ever
- Marenco Swisshelicopter appoints new CEO as founder leaves
- Wessex Helicopter Restoration goes on Display
- Bristow to present two Energy Conferences
- Sloane Helicopters appoints new Robinson Sales Manager
- Bristow Academy’s Gerald Marchal Wins AMT Next Gen Award
- Helijet air ambulance service resumes at all hospital heliports in B.C.
- HNZ Group announces joint venture in Australia to support INPEX contract
- Milestone Names Daniel Rosenthal President and CEO
- Erickson Inc. Receives Final Court Approval of DIP Financing Facility
- PAC International upgrades EC145 for Allegheny Health Network’s LifeFlight program
- Safran activates fully-automated helicopter engine turbine blade production line