Leading Aircrewman Sarah Christenson from 820 Naval Air Squadron, a Merlin helicopter squadron based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, has become the first ever female to successfully complete the helicopter fast-roping instructors course.
Fast-roping is a technique used to deploy lightly-equipped troops rapidly into confined areas where helicopters cannot land.
The technique involves the fast-roper, wearing special gloves, sliding down a rope suspended from a helicopter hovering at heights of up to 85ft (26m). Only the fast-roper’s gloved hands are in direct contact with the rope.
Leading Aircrewman Christenson completed the course with a number of descents and despatching others from one of 820 Naval Air Squadron’s Merlins at Culdrose last week.
Royal Marines Colour Sergeant Pete Curley, chief roping instructor based at RAF Brize Norton, was the trainer for the course. He said:Â “I had the pleasure of awarding a helicopter fast-roping instructors certificate to Leading Hand Sarah Christenson, the first female on record to receive this award. Previous applicants have not achieved this award due to the strength and confidence required to conduct this type of training. Sarah showed both of these in abundance and even put a couple of other (male) members of the squadron to shame. Sarah impressed me and her peers and I hope she gets plenty of opportunity to carry out training with other troops.”
Commander Jason Phillips, Commanding Officer of 820 Naval Air Squadron, said: “Five members of the squadron gained their helicopter fast-roping instructors qualification this week, enabling the squadron to remain at readiness for a huge variety of tasking across the globe, some of which could involve roping troops from the aircraft. Leading Aircrewman Christenson should be proud to be the first female to achieve this qualification.”
- Mexico – MH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopters
- Elbit Systems to Showcase a Modular Mission Helicopters Package
- New Trustee for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Helicentre Announces 2019 US FAA CPL(H) Scholarship
- ARSA Supports Effort to Increase Part 147 School Flexibility
- EASA go to AERO 2018 with vision for the future of GA
- Rheinmetall Group and Sikorsky will lead in-service support for the CH-53K
- DRF upgrades Christoph 47 base from BK117 to H145
- Western Australian Police start process to replace ageing BK117
- New operator launches in Fiji with a Bell 212
- Philippines National Police receives first of three Bell 429s
- Quantum3D Awarded Contract by AVC Defense
- First Utility H145 in US delivered to San Diego Gas & Electric
- SAFE Structure sells Nassau County Police with Bell 429 maintenance stands
- Safran signs by-the-hour support contracts with Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopters and Rainier Heli International
- Lockheed Chairman, President and CEO receives 2018 Edison Achievement Award
- The Air Ambulance Service welcomes CQC report
- Leonardo demonstrates its AW159 to Malaysian Armed Forces
- ARA Flugrettung and ARBÖ present new helicopters and cooperation
- Russian Helicopters delivers two ship-based Ka-226T