Leading Aircrewman Sarah Christenson from 820 Naval Air Squadron, a Merlin helicopter squadron based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, has become the first ever female to successfully complete the helicopter fast-roping instructors course.
Fast-roping is a technique used to deploy lightly-equipped troops rapidly into confined areas where helicopters cannot land.
The technique involves the fast-roper, wearing special gloves, sliding down a rope suspended from a helicopter hovering at heights of up to 85ft (26m). Only the fast-roper’s gloved hands are in direct contact with the rope.
Leading Aircrewman Christenson completed the course with a number of descents and despatching others from one of 820 Naval Air Squadron’s Merlins at Culdrose last week.
Royal Marines Colour Sergeant Pete Curley, chief roping instructor based at RAF Brize Norton, was the trainer for the course. He said:Â “I had the pleasure of awarding a helicopter fast-roping instructors certificate to Leading Hand Sarah Christenson, the first female on record to receive this award. Previous applicants have not achieved this award due to the strength and confidence required to conduct this type of training. Sarah showed both of these in abundance and even put a couple of other (male) members of the squadron to shame. Sarah impressed me and her peers and I hope she gets plenty of opportunity to carry out training with other troops.”
Commander Jason Phillips, Commanding Officer of 820 Naval Air Squadron, said: “Five members of the squadron gained their helicopter fast-roping instructors qualification this week, enabling the squadron to remain at readiness for a huge variety of tasking across the globe, some of which could involve roping troops from the aircraft. Leading Aircrewman Christenson should be proud to be the first female to achieve this qualification.”
- Helisafari and Balearic Helicopters announce strategic partnership
- Oklahoma Passes Bill for Aerial Gunning of Wild Hogs
- CAACI Issues Warning after Kite Collision
- RMAF welcomes upgraded Nuri helicopter
- GTA signs MoU to provide maintenance for HFA helicopters
- Russian Proposal for Service Centre in Sri Lanka
- 5th EDA HTIC to ‘take off’ with home-grown teachers
- Pawan Hans and Airbus Helicopters Collaborates for Maintenance Partnership
- Garmin® Unveils the Next Generation of All-in-One ADS-B Transponders
- HeliRussia and Show Observer celebrate a decade of partnership
- Agreement Between Helang Flying Academy & Rotortrade Services
- Pawan Hans, Dedicated First Integrated Heliport to the Nation
- Sky-Futures and Bristow Conduct Successful Interoperability Flight Test
- Thales delivers a flight and navigation training simulator to the Royal Malaysian Air Force
- SAFE Structure delivers hangar equipment to New Mexico Army National Guard
- Marine Corps Struggle with CH-53K Pricing
- Lifshitz & Miller LLP Announces Investigation of Air Methods
- Leonardo Expands In The Philippines
- The European Union and South Asia strengthen ties in civil aviation
- Bristow Group To Present At The Scotia Howard Weil 45th Annual Energy Conference