Leading Aircrewman Sarah Christenson from 820 Naval Air Squadron, a Merlin helicopter squadron based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, has become the first ever female to successfully complete the helicopter fast-roping instructors course.
Fast-roping is a technique used to deploy lightly-equipped troops rapidly into confined areas where helicopters cannot land.
The technique involves the fast-roper, wearing special gloves, sliding down a rope suspended from a helicopter hovering at heights of up to 85ft (26m). Only the fast-roper’s gloved hands are in direct contact with the rope.
Leading Aircrewman Christenson completed the course with a number of descents and despatching others from one of 820 Naval Air Squadron’s Merlins at Culdrose last week.
Royal Marines Colour Sergeant Pete Curley, chief roping instructor based at RAF Brize Norton, was the trainer for the course. He said:Â “I had the pleasure of awarding a helicopter fast-roping instructors certificate to Leading Hand Sarah Christenson, the first female on record to receive this award. Previous applicants have not achieved this award due to the strength and confidence required to conduct this type of training. Sarah showed both of these in abundance and even put a couple of other (male) members of the squadron to shame. Sarah impressed me and her peers and I hope she gets plenty of opportunity to carry out training with other troops.”
Commander Jason Phillips, Commanding Officer of 820 Naval Air Squadron, said: “Five members of the squadron gained their helicopter fast-roping instructors qualification this week, enabling the squadron to remain at readiness for a huge variety of tasking across the globe, some of which could involve roping troops from the aircraft. Leading Aircrewman Christenson should be proud to be the first female to achieve this qualification.”
- Airbus reveals H135 Bluecopter technology demonstrator
- AgustaWestland confirms HeliHub report on Guardia Costiera AW139 order
- CHEMS, Air Methods host Hangar Day at Seamans Airport
- Northern Ontario Ornge service hampered by black holes
- ASU Celebrates 20 Years and expands HQ
- Airbus Helicopters and Mahindra Group form military joint venture
- Police Aviation News – July 2015 Edition
- How new helicopter procedure helped save a life
- Kemper Development helistop clears city review
- Minnesota – New Brighton council approves helipad
- Helicopter Museum hosts Flight Simulator Convention
- WAI Announces Scholarships for 2016
- FAA and GA Community Focus on Safety
- Russian Helicopters showcases renewed production of amphibious Mi-14PS
- Russian Helicopters announces results of AGM
- Helicopter Film Services rely on Aerigon for new Avengers film
- Russian Helicopters showcases new marine helicopters at International Maritime Defence Show
- Finmeccanica wins Landing Helicopter Dock contract with Fincantieri
- 05-Jul-15 RP-C2726 AgustaWestland AW109E Mt. Maculot, Philippines (2F)
- Sundance implements FAA safety action programs