Leading Aircrewman Sarah Christenson from 820 Naval Air Squadron, a Merlin helicopter squadron based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, has become the first ever female to successfully complete the helicopter fast-roping instructors course.
Fast-roping is a technique used to deploy lightly-equipped troops rapidly into confined areas where helicopters cannot land.
The technique involves the fast-roper, wearing special gloves, sliding down a rope suspended from a helicopter hovering at heights of up to 85ft (26m). Only the fast-roper's gloved hands are in direct contact with the rope.
Leading Aircrewman Christenson completed the course with a number of descents and despatching others from one of 820 Naval Air Squadron's Merlins at Culdrose last week.
Royal Marines Colour Sergeant Pete Curley, chief roping instructor based at RAF Brize Norton, was the trainer for the course. He said: "I had the pleasure of awarding a helicopter fast-roping instructors certificate to Leading Hand Sarah Christenson, the first female on record to receive this award. Previous applicants have not achieved this award due to the strength and confidence required to conduct this type of training. Sarah showed both of these in abundance and even put a couple of other (male) members of the squadron to shame. Sarah impressed me and her peers and I hope she gets plenty of opportunity to carry out training with other troops."
Commander Jason Phillips, Commanding Officer of 820 Naval Air Squadron, said: "Five members of the squadron gained their helicopter fast-roping instructors qualification this week, enabling the squadron to remain at readiness for a huge variety of tasking across the globe, some of which could involve roping troops from the aircraft. Leading Aircrewman Christenson should be proud to be the first female to achieve this qualification."
- Sikorsky awarded $9.2M delivery order for VH-3D interior overhaul
- Sikorsky awarded $14.5M for UH-60 transmisison overhauls
- AHIA queries Australian accident rates and latest FAA data
- Bristow To Present At The Johnson Rice Energy Conference
- Metro Aviation Delivers EC135 to Life Air Rescue
- Gulf Helicopters’ AW139 fleet passes 50,000 hour milestone
- Global Commercial and Military Flight Simulation Industry
- Dallas Avionics Hosts Regional Training Event in Dallas
- Register Update – USA – week to 14 September 2014
- Grand Canyon Helicopters’ Launches New Tour For Fall
- Bristow Employees Around the World Ask “Are You Ok?”
- Raytheon begins full rate production on TALON Laser Guided Rockets for the UAE
- Eliminate 3rd Class Medicals for Pilots!
- DSTO Eureka Prize for 2014 goes to Helicopter Safety System
- IHST Releases New Helicopter Safety Bulletins
- Vector Aerospace exhibiting at Africa Aerospace and Defence 2014
- Case Dismissed, Guidance Aviation Wins in Federal Court
- 16-Sep-14 Bell 206B Flamborough, UK (2F)
- Paramount Group resuming composite blade production in South Africa
- Boeing awarded $27M for improved CH-47 electrical system