Leading Aircrewman Sarah Christenson from 820 Naval Air Squadron, a Merlin helicopter squadron based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, has become the first ever female to successfully complete the helicopter fast-roping instructors course.
Fast-roping is a technique used to deploy lightly-equipped troops rapidly into confined areas where helicopters cannot land.
The technique involves the fast-roper, wearing special gloves, sliding down a rope suspended from a helicopter hovering at heights of up to 85ft (26m). Only the fast-roper’s gloved hands are in direct contact with the rope.
Leading Aircrewman Christenson completed the course with a number of descents and despatching others from one of 820 Naval Air Squadron’s Merlins at Culdrose last week.
Royal Marines Colour Sergeant Pete Curley, chief roping instructor based at RAF Brize Norton, was the trainer for the course. He said:Â “I had the pleasure of awarding a helicopter fast-roping instructors certificate to Leading Hand Sarah Christenson, the first female on record to receive this award. Previous applicants have not achieved this award due to the strength and confidence required to conduct this type of training. Sarah showed both of these in abundance and even put a couple of other (male) members of the squadron to shame. Sarah impressed me and her peers and I hope she gets plenty of opportunity to carry out training with other troops.”
Commander Jason Phillips, Commanding Officer of 820 Naval Air Squadron, said: “Five members of the squadron gained their helicopter fast-roping instructors qualification this week, enabling the squadron to remain at readiness for a huge variety of tasking across the globe, some of which could involve roping troops from the aircraft. Leading Aircrewman Christenson should be proud to be the first female to achieve this qualification.”
First female completes helicopter fast-roping instructors course
- Police Aviation News – April 2015 Edition
- Mustang Survival Announces New Swift Water Rescue Solutions
- Stratus Transponder Gives Pilots ADS-B Out Option Like No Other
- Rockwell Collins Unveils TruNet Networked Communications Solution
- CHC Group Announces Early Tender Results
- Erickson Secures Philippines Dam Contract Award
- SkyTrac to Supply Ukrainian Helicopters with First UN Certified Air Asset Tracking Solution
- AW139 Reliability Data Sharing Group holds first meeting
- Oil ministry’s opinion on Pawan Hans IPO sought
- RAF Valley Sea King flies 10,000th mission
- Korean Government seals $1.5M deal with KAI to replace MD500 and AH-1 fleets
- Ex-US Army colonel tied to Lynn Tilton pleads guilty
- Aspen Reduces Pricing on Single-Band ADS-B Transceivers
- Terma demonstrates Obstruction Light Control solution for Federal Aviation Administration
- Waypoint Leasing Surpasses 100 Aircraft Acquired and on Lease
- Russian Helicopters delivers batch of Ka226s to Russian military
- Helibras delivers EC145 to Rio de Janeiro state government
- Register Update – USA – week to 19 April 2015
- Register Update – USA – week to 12 April 2015
- Philippines halts contract for 21 Hueys