Fiberforge, a leader in the thermoplastic advanced composites industry, today announced the addition of Njord A. Rota as Program Manager for its CH-53K Program, which is one of the company’s most significant aerospace projects.
Rota joins Fiberforge from Lockheed Martin Corporation, where he was the Chief Test Pilot and served as the Test Director for the K-Max Helicopter UAV/OPV System program, which allowed Rota to supervise instructor pilots and flight training. He also served as Director of Standards and Evaluation.
In his new role, Rota will lead all management aspects of Fiberforge’s work for DRS Technologies Inc. (NYSE: DRS), which includes the design, development and production of the carbon fiber composite components within the Internal Cargo Handling System for the CH-53K Heavy Lift Helicopter. The CH-53K helicopter is under development by Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX) for the U.S. Marine Corps. The CH-53K is a dual-piloted, multi-engine, vertical take-off and landing aircraft that will provide the Marine Corps with improved heavy lift capability, reduced operating costs and state-of-the-art interoperability.
Prior to Lockheed Martin, Rota was a training and operations consultant for high-altitude flight training firm Ravco LLC; served as director of aviation operations for a civilian helicopter logistics provider in Afghanistan; and was a site manager for an FAA Part 135 aviation company supporting the Department of Defense. Rota also was a Major in the U.S. Army, to include severing multiple commands of CH-47D Chinook helicopter units with responsibility for 56 pilots and flight engineers.
“Njord’s deep expertise in all aspects of aviation systems and handling will further strengthen Fiberforge’s ability to support DRS Technologies and their mission to provide the best parts and services for the CH-53K Heavy Lift Helicopter program,” said Andrew Lizotte, Fiberforge’s Composites Engineering Group Lead. “He is a valuable addition to the team and reinforces Fiberforge’s commitment to providing top-notch solutions and services to the aerospace industry.”
Rota is completing a master of aeronautical science degree in aviation management at Florida’s Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and holds a bachelor of science degree in biochemistry and biophysics from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y. Rota says his most memorable experience was serving as Company Commander in Afghanistan from 2005-2006. He moved to the Roaring Fork Valley in 2006, attracted by the region’s outdoor activities like powder skiing, kayaking and cycling.
Fiberforge is a leadingâ€edge manufacturing Technology Company that has developed a patented process for cost-effectively producing lightweight structural parts made from highâ€performance advancedâ€composite materials. Fiberforge sells turnkey manufacturing systems to part producers across several industries worldwide, including aerospace, defense, consumer electronics, transportation, medical and others. Fiberforge also manufactures parts with its technology, primarily for aerospace and defense applications. Fiberforge’s products are protected by U.S. and international patents and patents pending. Visit www.fiberforge.com for more information.
- Eurocopter opens its Systemhaus helicopter development center
- Israel receives surplus CH-53s for spares
- ATK awarded contract for AAR-47 missile warning systems
- Sikorsky awarded $14M contract for H-53, H-60 work
- Rockwell-Collins awarded $17M contract for Nav/Comm repairs
- 15-Aug-12 Sikorsky CH-53 Tel Nof, Israel
- GE awarded $8.2M modification to H-53 contract
- 19-Jul-12 Sikorsky MH-53E Muscat, Oman (2F)
- 29-Jun-12 Sikorsky MH-53E Pohang, Korea
- 21-Jun-12 157135 Sikorsky CH-53D Sarabagh, Afghanistan
- Sikorsky awarded $9M for H-53 swashplate and gearbox work
- 26-Apr-12 164771 Sikorsky MH-53E Virginia Beach, US-Virginia
- Raytheon awarded $9.5M contract to repair CH-53 and V-22 weapon replacement assemblies
- “Sikorsky 2025” project extends life of vital helicopter
- 19-Jan-12 Sikorsky CH-53D Helmand Province, Afghanistan (6F)
- CPI Aero to present at Noble Financial Capital Markets conference
- HMH-461 conducts desert training at EMV
- Israeli military set up memorial for Romania crash
- Hawaii Army National Guard re-equips with CH-47F
- New Super Stallions for HMH-463 Pegasus