The Californian city of Fontana is putting a budget request in this week for two police-role helicopters, a low-time Robinson R44 with just 140 airframe hours, and a new R66.
Police Chief Rodney Jones is preparting to ask city council’s approval on Tuesday to use $500,000 in asset seizure funds to purchase the near-new R44 for $415,000 and spend another $85,000 to install more advanced equipment on it.
The R66 is expected to attract “financial incentives” for being a lead customer – helping Robinson to iron out the bugs in the police role equipment – but will still cost about $1.1 million.Â Jones plans to use the asset seizure fund to place a $300,000 downpayment on the R66, and then take a fifteen year lease that will cost $72,000 annually.
Fontana Police Department currently has a helicopter contract with California Aviation Services of Riverside costing $497,250 per year.Â The operator provides an R44 and its pilot while the Fontana Police provide an observer.
Industry sources had tipped off HeliHub.com at the Helitech show in September that Fontana were going to be the first R66 law enforcement customer, and news of a budget application would appear to confirm this.Â When we enquired with Robinson Helicopter Co two weeks back, all they would say is that no police role R66 was on order.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Robinson Production Picked up Steam in 2017
- Donaldson to celebrate 9000th IBF delivery at HAI Heli-Expo
- Magellan Wire Strike Protection System™ Now Available for R66
- Robinson Introduces Two Garmin G500H TXi Displays
- Robinson to launch R66 hook at Heli-Expo
- Robinson adds wire strike system for R66
- Robinson receives R66 big sales boost
- Meeker-Airfilm receives certification for R44 and R66 nose mount
- HeliHub prediction comes true – Robinson R66 kills off Airbus H120
- Prabhu Helicopter adds new Robinson R66 chopper to its fleet
- Prabhu Helicopter to receive brand new R66 Turbine Helicopter by September
- 21-Aug-17 RA-05750 Robinson R66 Maly Utrish, Russia (1F)
- FAA approves R66 hooks from Onboard Systems
- FAA certifies R66 Newscopter
- R66 now has lithium-ion battery option
- EASA Approves Shadin Avionics STC for Robinson R66 Fuel Flow Management
- Nepal – Prabhu Helicopter orders R66
- Uralhelicom sees increase in new helicopter sales
- FAA approves Dart Aerospace R66 utility baskets
- 20-May-17 N778TL Robinson R66 Canon City, US-Colorado