Two new NH90 helicopters will arrive at Ohakea at 9.30am, after being airlifted from France on board an Antonov AN 124 transport aircraft, Defence Minister Wayne Mapp said today (6th December 2011)
“These helicopters will provide a quantum leap in capability for the RNZAF,” said Dr Mapp. “The NH90s will give the NZDF better capability to conduct military, counter-terrorism, disaster relief, search and rescue, and other operations.
“The NH90s have over three times the power of the current Iroquois and can carry more than twice the payload further and faster.
“They have twin engines for better safety over water. They will also be able to operate from the HMNZ Canterbury which will add tremendously to her versatility,” said Dr Mapp.
“The Iroquois has been a fantastic workhorse for over 40 years. But they are overdue for replacement,” said Dr Mapp.
Six more NH90s will be progressively delivered from next year. Earlier this year the RNZAF received five new A109 helicopters to replace the old Sioux helicopters.
Dr Mapp said the new NH90s will complement the new direction that the NZDF is taking as a result of the White Paper.
“These helicopters are another step in the modernisation of the NZDF. The recently released Capability Plan details a range of new projects that will further the modernisation agenda.
“This includes new advanced training aircraft, upgrading or replace the Seasprite helicopters, a replacement for the Endeavour and new trucks,” said Dr Mapp.
- Eurocopter opens its Systemhaus helicopter development center
- Australia given an extra NH90 free to make up for delays
- Italian Army Takes Delivery of Its First NH90 TTH
- Fokker delivers first standard parts for NH90
- Belgian NH90 NFH makes first flight
- Sogitec to supply Finnish Army Aviation NH90 training device
- French Army formally adopt NH90 Caiman
- AgustaWestland at Aero India 2013
- Eurocopter CEO sees German defence deal within months
- First NH-90 heads for duty off Somalia
- First flight of an NH90 assembled by Eurocopter Spain
- Eurocopter hands over NH90s to Belgium and France
- Norway ramps up pressure over NH90 delays
- Second NH90 NFH delivered to Norway
- Germany commits Tigers and NH90s to Afghanistan
- French Navy awards support contract for NH90 FLASH sonars
- Eurocopter’s to showcase Naval and Maritime helicopters at Euronaval 2012
- First flight of Belgian NH90 TTH
- King Juan Carlos I flies in Spanish NH90
- Eurocopter kicks off the ILA Berlin Air Show