Minister for Defence Stephen Smith announced that the Australian Defence Force (ADF) fleet of Chinooks has increased to seven following the arrival of two additional CH-47D Chinook helicopters in Townsville.
In November last year, the Government approved the purchase of the two ex-United States Army Chinooks following the loss of one ADF Chinook on operations in Afghanistan in May 2011.
The Minister said the new Chinooks would enter a period of deep maintenance and modification to bring them up to the same configuration as the existing ADF Chinook fleet.
Both Chinooks are scheduled to be delivered to the Australian Army to support operations by the middle of 2012.
The CH-47D Chinook is a highly capable medium-lift utility helicopter.Â Its roles include troop movement, battlefield equipment transport, search and rescue and disaster relief.
Chinooks have been highly capable workhorses since they entered ADF service in 1995 in operations both in Australia and overseas.
Chinooks have been deployed on Operation Slipper in Afghanistan since 2006.
They have performed an outstanding service for both ADF and International Security Assistance Forces and are in high demand across Afghanistan due to their superior performance in hot and high altitude conditions.
The ADF CH-47D fleet will be replaced with seven new CH-47F Chinooks from around 2016.
- New commander for Chinook operating 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment
- Boeing extends US Army Rotorcraft Support Partnership
- 08-Jun-15 ZD981 Boeing Chinook HC.2 Manchester, UK
- Dillon Aero wins $14M contract for weapon systems on US Army helicopters
- Boeing wins $247M contract to revitalise AH-64 and CH-47 fleets
- 19-Apr-15 Boeing CH-47 Lisvane, UK
- Honeywell and Transworld Aviation Expand Aftermarket Agreement in the Middle East
- Netherlands requests 17 CH-47F Chinooks in $1.05 Billion deal
- Boeing awarded $713M contract to remanufacture 26 and build 4 CH-47F Chinooks
- Boeing Military Aircraft appoints VP of Business Development
- Robertson Fuel Systems awarded $45M contact for CH-47s from Korea, Turkey and UAE
- Boeing threatens Chinook/Apache price increase to get India to sign contract
- Helicopter simulators have saved Britain’s taxpayers £1 billion
- Greece requests ten CH-47D Chinooks
- See Ryan Aerospace (Australia) at I/ITSEC USA 2014
- California National Guard receives first of 12 CH-47F Chinooks
- Terma signs MoU with Boeing to include Chinook EW enhancements
- New York Army National Guard Aviators Move Up to CH-47 Foxtrot Model
- Boeing delivers 300th US Army CH-47F Chinook ahead of schedule
- Boeing Ridley Park UAW Employees Approve New Contract