Minister for Defence Stephen Smith announced that the Australian Defence Force (ADF) fleet of Chinooks has increased to seven following the arrival of two additional CH-47D Chinook helicopters in Townsville.
In November last year, the Government approved the purchase of the two ex-United States Army Chinooks following the loss of one ADF Chinook on operations in Afghanistan in May 2011.
The Minister said the new Chinooks would enter a period of deep maintenance and modification to bring them up to the same configuration as the existing ADF Chinook fleet.
Both Chinooks are scheduled to be delivered to the Australian Army to support operations by the middle of 2012.
The CH-47D Chinook is a highly capable medium-lift utility helicopter. Its roles include troop movement, battlefield equipment transport, search and rescue and disaster relief.
Chinooks have been highly capable workhorses since they entered ADF service in 1995 in operations both in Australia and overseas.
Chinooks have been deployed on Operation Slipper in Afghanistan since 2006.
They have performed an outstanding service for both ADF and International Security Assistance Forces and are in high demand across Afghanistan due to their superior performance in hot and high altitude conditions.
The ADF CH-47D fleet will be replaced with seven new CH-47F Chinooks from around 2016.
- Aero Precision signs distributorship with Pall Aerospace
- Columbia Helicopters assists Australia with CH-47D returns from Afghanistan
- Selex ES awarded £6.8M contract to equip more RAF Chinooks with Titan HD turrets
- Royal Netherlands Air Force begins training on upgraded Chinook simulator
- Boeing charges US Army for new helicopter parts but uses old ones
- Boeing delivers 5th Canadian CH-147F Chinook
- Rockwell Collins CAAS cockpit onboard first Canadian Chinook
- British Chinook Pilot Commended
- Libya looking to buy 22 Chinooks
- Australia’s Chinook mission in Afghanistan complete
- Boeing awarded $19M MH-47G contract
- Fleet Canada to supply CH-47 subassemblies
- Boeing to highlight partnership opportunities at MSPO 2013
- Avcorp Signs CH-47 Production Contract with Boeing
- RAF Chinook display team wins two more awards
- Honeywell awarded $29M contract for CH-47 engines
- Congress looks into 2011 Taliban shoot-down which killed 30 US troops
- Iowa National Guard showcases new helicopter fleet
- Boeing awarded $17M for Australian and UAE Chinook work
- Canada’s first CH-147F Chinook due this week