Minister for Defence Stephen Smith announced that the Australian Defence Force (ADF) fleet of Chinooks has increased to seven following the arrival of two additional CH-47D Chinook helicopters in Townsville.
In November last year, the Government approved the purchase of the two ex-United States Army Chinooks following the loss of one ADF Chinook on operations in Afghanistan in May 2011.
The Minister said the new Chinooks would enter a period of deep maintenance and modification to bring them up to the same configuration as the existing ADF Chinook fleet.
Both Chinooks are scheduled to be delivered to the Australian Army to support operations by the middle of 2012.
The CH-47D Chinook is a highly capable medium-lift utility helicopter.Â Its roles include troop movement, battlefield equipment transport, search and rescue and disaster relief.
Chinooks have been highly capable workhorses since they entered ADF service in 1995 in operations both in Australia and overseas.
Chinooks have been deployed on Operation Slipper in Afghanistan since 2006.
They have performed an outstanding service for both ADF and International Security Assistance Forces and are in high demand across Afghanistan due to their superior performance in hot and high altitude conditions.
The ADF CH-47D fleet will be replaced with seven new CH-47F Chinooks from around 2016.
- LORD Corporation Announces CH-47 Product Qualification
- Vector Aerospace may lay off 60 in UK
- Australian Army receive three Chinooks over two months ahead of schedule
- CH-47 Chinook Rear Crew Trainer reaches milestone
- FL Technics supports US special ops MH-47Gs in Lithuania
- AEM to provide Internal PA system for Indian Chinooks
- L-3 Link CH-47F Operational Flight Trainers released for training
- Columbia Helicopters Chinook fights first fire
- Columbia Helicopters wins US Forest Service contracts
- Australia retires a Chinook to War Memorial museum
- Netherlands to receive another 12 CH-47F Chinooks
- CAE to upgrade two Royal Air Force Chinook simulators
- Dallas Avionics to distribute Voyager Power Source from Avion Power
- Australian Defence Force sued by family of pilot killed in 2011
- Rockwell Collins to provide CAAS for India CH-47F fleet
- Rotorcraft Modernization Efforts Back on Track, Officials Tell US Congress
- Boeing awarded $896M for 12 new and 27 upgraded CH-47Fs
- AmSafe Bridport to supply cargo nets for Dutch Chinook and NH90 fleets
- Honeywell awarded $9.5M for the repair of CH-47 T-55 engines
- First class of Canadian Chinook aircrews graduates