Minister for Defence Stephen Smith announced that the Australian Defence Force (ADF) fleet of Chinooks has increased to seven following the arrival of two additional CH-47D Chinook helicopters in Townsville.
In November last year, the Government approved the purchase of the two ex-United States Army Chinooks following the loss of one ADF Chinook on operations in Afghanistan in May 2011.
The Minister said the new Chinooks would enter a period of deep maintenance and modification to bring them up to the same configuration as the existing ADF Chinook fleet.
Both Chinooks are scheduled to be delivered to the Australian Army to support operations by the middle of 2012.
The CH-47D Chinook is a highly capable medium-lift utility helicopter. Its roles include troop movement, battlefield equipment transport, search and rescue and disaster relief.
Chinooks have been highly capable workhorses since they entered ADF service in 1995 in operations both in Australia and overseas.
Chinooks have been deployed on Operation Slipper in Afghanistan since 2006.
They have performed an outstanding service for both ADF and International Security Assistance Forces and are in high demand across Afghanistan due to their superior performance in hot and high altitude conditions.
The ADF CH-47D fleet will be replaced with seven new CH-47F Chinooks from around 2016.
- Billings Flying Service buys two CH-47D Chinooks
- Columbia Helicopters buys three CH-47D from US Army
- Exelis to provide radios for US Army Blackhawks and Chinooks
- Boeing helicopter deliveries up from 70 to 81 in 2013
- CV International awarded $15M contract for helicopter maintenance platforms
- 09-Jan-14 Boeing CH-47 Laurel, US-Mississippi
- Boeing awarded $617M contract to build 6 and update 22 CH-47F helicopters
- US Army dispose of two CH-47D Chinooks
- 08-Dec-13 Boeing CH-47D Jericho, Israel
- Korea requests fourteen CH-47D Chinooks
- Aero Precision signs distributorship with Pall Aerospace
- Columbia Helicopters assists Australia with CH-47D returns from Afghanistan
- Selex ES awarded £6.8M contract to equip more RAF Chinooks with Titan HD turrets
- Royal Netherlands Air Force begins training on upgraded Chinook simulator
- Boeing charges US Army for new helicopter parts but uses old ones
- Boeing delivers 5th Canadian CH-147F Chinook
- Rockwell Collins CAAS cockpit onboard first Canadian Chinook
- British Chinook Pilot Commended
- Libya looking to buy 22 Chinooks
- Australia’s Chinook mission in Afghanistan complete