The BBC has announced that Bristow Helicopters are to take back the two Scottish bases of the British SAR service from 2013 to 2017 – the “GAP SAR” contract as it has been known.Â CHC are understood to retain the southern bases at Lee-on-Solent and Portland for the same period of time – The BBC story says that Bristow have won the Scottish bases, and industry sources are pointing to CHC retaining the southern two.
Over the last few years huge efforts have been put in to a new nationwide SAR contract with the UK Government handing over all SAR work to a commercial contractor for a 25 year period, three quarters of the work being taken from the military.Â One particular consortium known as Soteria (based around operator CHC) was chosen as the “preferred bidder” but the whole thing fell apart when irregularities emerged and various statements were issued including this one from February 2011 concerning police involvement in the investigation of the way Soteria conducted their bid.
Having already reached the point of one “preferred bidder”, but with that bidder “named and shamed”, the Government had no option but to open the whole competition back up again with a new start date for the 25 year contract – set at 2017.Â This created the interim situation referred to above – “GAP SAR
Bristow takes back some of UK SAR from 2013
- The HeliHub.com Interview – Daniele Romiti, CEO AgustaWestland
- SAAM offers reduced insurance premiums for operators who choose Helisim
- North Flight Data Systems receives Canadian Validation for AS350 and EC130 installation March 2nd, 2015
- Servicios Aéreos de los Andes just signed for 3 H125s for utility work in Peru
- Bell and Turbomeca to Offer Service By The Hour Program on Bell 505
- Sundance Helicopters Announces Implementation of Ramco Aviation Software
- Garmin Pilot Optimizes Charts and Maps for Helicopter Operators
- Garmin avionics are abundant!
- New helicopter solutions from Garmin
- Meet radar altimeter requirements with Garmin
- Global Helicopters Market Set to Cross USD37 Billion by 2019, Reports TechSci Research
- Airbus Helicopters’ HCare brings a new dynamic in customer service
- Heliconia appointed as AgustaWestland Authorized Service Centre in Morocco
- LCI to lease second new AgustaWestland AW139 to HeliService
- Turbomeca signs a Support By the Hour contract with DRF Luftrettung
- Turbomeca customers confirm confidence in Support-by-the-Hour contract model
- Norsk luftambulanse orders three Airbus Helicopters H135s
- Airbus Helicopters announces updated release of its H225 Flight Crew Operating Manual
- Bell and Hughes Aerospace Align to Offer Performance Based Navigation in China
- FlightSafety is first training provider to meet FAA Safety Management System requirements