The BBC has announced that Bristow Helicopters are to take back the two Scottish bases of the British SAR service from 2013 to 2017 – the “GAP SAR” contract as it has been known.Â CHC are understood to retain the southern bases at Lee-on-Solent and Portland for the same period of time – The BBC story says that Bristow have won the Scottish bases, and industry sources are pointing to CHC retaining the southern two.
Over the last few years huge efforts have been put in to a new nationwide SAR contract with the UK Government handing over all SAR work to a commercial contractor for a 25 year period, three quarters of the work being taken from the military.Â One particular consortium known as Soteria (based around operator CHC) was chosen as the “preferred bidder” but the whole thing fell apart when irregularities emerged and various statements were issued including this one from February 2011 concerning police involvement in the investigation of the way Soteria conducted their bid.
Having already reached the point of one “preferred bidder”, but with that bidder “named and shamed”, the Government had no option but to open the whole competition back up again with a new start date for the 25 year contract – set at 2017.Â This created the interim situation referred to above – “GAP SAR
- AHS International Specialists’ Meeting on Propulsion
- Armed Forces of Malta takes delivery of second AW139
- Transas gets approval for Russia’s first R44 Flight Training Device
- Sweden – Värmland-Dalarna selects EC145T2 for EMS
- First class of HeliAsas project forms at Helibras Training Center
- Northwest Colorado-based air ambulance logs 100th mission in 9 months
- BLADE Announces Expanded Bounce Service to New York City Area Airports
- AgustaWestland Renews its Collaboration with CRITICAL Software for a Further Three Years
- Commitment to Safety Every Day Brings Record-setting Performance
- From Texas to Tanzania: Flying the Extra Mile
- Spain – Airbus delivers Police EC135 to Police and AS355NP to Road Traffic Authority
- AgustaWestland signs Offset MoUs with industrial partners in Poland
- Lider sells two S76C++ to Waypoint, then leases them back
- Waypoint Leasing Closes 31 Aircraft Acquisition from First Reserve
- Bell Training Academy Expands Capabilities in Singapore
- Airbus Helicopters Canada Delivers AS355to Hydro One Inc.
- City, County of San Diego reach nighttime helicopter agreement
- UK Corporate to start operating Bell 429
- Magpas HeliMedix not affected by Wyton closure
- Trinidad and Tobago Air Guard Reaches Key Training,Capability Milestones