The BBC has announced that Bristow Helicopters are to take back the two Scottish bases of the British SAR service from 2013 to 2017 - the "GAP SAR" contract as it has been known. CHC are understood to retain the southern bases at Lee-on-Solent and Portland for the same period of time - The BBC story says that Bristow have won the Scottish bases, and industry sources are pointing to CHC retaining the southern two.
Over the last few years huge efforts have been put in to a new nationwide SAR contract with the UK Government handing over all SAR work to a commercial contractor for a 25 year period, three quarters of the work being taken from the military. One particular consortium known as Soteria (based around operator CHC) was chosen as the "preferred bidder" but the whole thing fell apart when irregularities emerged and various statements were issued including this one from February 2011 concerning police involvement in the investigation of the way Soteria conducted their bid.
Having already reached the point of one "preferred bidder", but with that bidder "named and shamed", the Government had no option but to open the whole competition back up again with a new start date for the 25 year contract - set at 2017. This created the interim situation referred to above - "GAP SAR
- Lockheed Martin’s Unmanned K-MAX Cargo Helicopter Team Returns From Deployment With U.S. Marine Corps In Afghanistan
- Air Methods Completes Successful Demonstration of Jupiter Avionics wiJAC Wireless Intercom System
- Heading to EAA AirVenture: Visit the HAI HELI-CENTER
- STARS offers time, hope and life-saving transport to critically ill and injured patients.
- Cockpit Crazy Press Release
- MD Helicopters Announces Second MD 500e Helicopter Delivery To Polk County Florida Sheriff’s Ofice
- Edmonton Police seek $22M for twin turbine helicopters and new heliport
- Bell Helicopter Delivers First Two of Six Bell 407GXs to the Pennsylvania State Police
- REACH Air Medical Services Opening Air Ambulance Base in Rancho Cordova, CA
- New Robinson R22 for Phoenix!
- Metro Aviation delivers EC135 to HealthNet Aeromedical Services, Inc.
- GAMA Welcomes Jonathan Archer as Director of Engineering & Airworthiness
- Derazona Helicopters buys its first rotorcraft from Airbus Helicopters: a multi-role AS350 B3e
- SaxonAir enhances helicopter fleet with Airbus Helicopters EC155
- Bristow Norway AS lands multi-million dollar contract
- Russian Helicopters to train Mongolian pilots at Ulan-Ude Aviation Training Centre
- Bell Helicopter Announces First Two HEMS Bell 429s in the Middle East
- New Report: Air Methods – Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Now in black: DART’s ultra-resistant Floor Protectors
- DART’s new interference-proof Tail Rotor Pedal Lockout