CAPACG and AvConnect have completed the first-ever detailed analysis of Garmin G1000 flight data for Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU). This study is one task associated with a multifaceted, FAA-funded research project – entitled the General Aviation Safety Information Analysis and Sharing Research Project – through the Center for General Aviation Research (www.cgar.org). The ultimate goal of this project is to improve the safety and efficiencies of light aircraft operating in the National Airspace System.
The primary research objective of this specific task was to determine the feasibility of Flight Data Monitoring (FDM) event analysis using recorded Garmin G1000 flight data in a collegiate flight-training environment. The data-logging feature of the G1000 avionics system records 64 parameters once every second without the addition of a costly lightweight aircraft recording system. Garmin and other manufacturers are beginning to include data-logging features in many new integrated avionics systems. According to CAPACG CEO Larry McCarroll, “the outcome of this research further validates the strength of thoughtful flight data analysis and the capabilities of emerging technologies – both airborne and ground-based – to improve flight safety.”
Event analysis compared recorded flight data to pre-defined FDM events covering both flight safety and maintenance events. For this study, event analysis required the development of a new software tool to parse over 4,000 flight hours of data. CAPACG and AvConnect collaborated on the development of a new cloud-based computing and storage system for all of the research data. The production version of the AvConnect analysis tool has the capability of processing over 100 hours of flight data/sec.
For more information on this project or to receive a complete copy of the research report, contact Kipp Lau at [email protected]
Based in Daytona Beach, Florida, CAPACG is a consulting firm and systems integrator focused on helping hardware and software companies develop products specifically for the General Aviation FDM market. CAPACG is an expert in helping operators develop, implement and operate their FDM programs. Additional information can be found at www.capacg.com.
AvConnect provides a comprehensive online solution built to streamline and simplify aircraft ownership; connecting pilots and owner/operators to their service center, maintenance manager, fellow pilots, and OEM through advanced online and mobile applications. From flight tracks to logbooks and currencies, to aircraft performance data and maintenance tracking, AvConnect delivers the most efficient pilot and aircraft management system available for general aviation. AvConnect is an AvFusion, Inc. company, a privately held corporation based in Denver, Colorado.
AvConnect® is a registered trademark of AvFusion, Inc.
- EBACE – Eurocopter launches EC175 with VIP/executive interior
- NZ heliski firm fined $6,000
- Vector Aerospace showcases GEMS engine management program at EBACE
- SHG receives its 70th Eurocopter
- Bristow Group Announces 25% Dividend Increase
- FLIR Systems wins $23M US Coast Guard order
- Swiss air ambulances at war – Rega v TCS
- Air Methods Reaches Highest Level in FAA’s Safety Management System Program
- CAE-built Lynx full-mission flight trainer celebrates 25 years of service
- Universal Avionics Expands International Repair Capabilities for the EFI-890R/890H
- Soloy sells 12 Honeywell engine kits for Chinese AC311 helicopter
- CALSTAR appoints new Chief Pilot
- Universal Avionics Announces New Warranty Program
- Barco unveils new US Training/Simulation Demo Center
- UK Apache Hellfire missiles restocked in £15M deal
- Branding Iron hires new PR/Marketing Coordinator
- Register Update – USA – week to 19 May 2013
- New Helicopter Base in Valdosta Aimed at Saving Lives
- UK – Castle Air opens new base at Biggin Hill
- Ka-226T completes test EMS missions for Winter Olympics in Sochi