Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) is introducing the new LCR-300 Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS), which is based on micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) technology, at HELI-EXPO 2012 from Feb. 12-14.
The LCR-300 features a high-performance, MEMS-based Inertial Measurement Unit and is the result of extensive development by Northrop Grumman's navigation systems subsidiary, Northrop Grumman LITEF GmbH of Germany.
The new system has a smaller size and lower weight that greatly expands the capabilities of a MEMS sensor-based AHRS, while complementing the company's successful LCR-100 product line. It also enables directional gyro mode operation, which minimizes magnetic compass errors. Additionally, the LCR-300 provides a hybrid navigation function by using global navigation satellite system data. A demonstration unit successfully completed flight tests on three midsize twin helicopters during the past year.
"Northrop Grumman LITEF has dedicated years of research to the MEMS inertial product line, and we are very pleased with the results thus far," said Eckehardt Keip, managing director for Northrop Grumman LITEF. "Hybrid navigation increases the system's utility by employing existing technology to augment already excellent performance, especially in difficult environments for helicopters."
The LCR-300 consists of a 4.2-pound AHRS unit that accepts satellite-based global positioning system velocity and position data; a calibration programmable read-only memory device; a magnetometer; and a mounting tray.
Northrop Grumman LITEF is a leading supplier of inertial sensors, inertial reference, and inertial navigation systems and computers with products deployed in more than 30 countries in aircraft, marine vessels and ground mobile applications. There are more than 15,000 attitude and heading reference systems serving in aircraft worldwide.
Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide. Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information.
- UK – Starspeed signs for a second AW169
- FLASH SONICS sonar enters service with French Navy NH90
- Women in Corporate Aviation Scholarships announced for 2013
- Eurocopter and SDV – a joint commitment to reducing CO2 emissions
- Bell announces foreign approval of seven Aeronautical Accessories products
- An inside look at Milestone and the first ever helicopter export credit bond
- NHI celebrates first deployment of an Italian NH90
- Nominate Now for HAI’s Salute to Excellence Awards
- Erickson Air-Crane extends contract with Fluor
- Life Link III signs for six AW119Kx plus six options
- Era signs for 10 more AW189s plus options
- FAA issues Advisory Circular on Reporting Wildlife Aircraft Strikes
- New E-HOTS support partnership consortium
- VNH South recognised for flight hour milestone as more EC225s arrive
- Heli-One secures multi-million-dollar PBH contract with NHV
- Eurocopter and Ramco partner for cloud-based helicopter maintenance software
- Helipartner Thailand orders 10 Eurocopter AS350B3e to lease out
- Eurocopter EC175 certification slips by six months to “early 2014″
- UK – MBE for AW101 Merlin pilot
- Budget pressures for Flagler County’s Fire Flight AS350