Rolls-Royce, the global power systems company, will deliver a new Value Improvement Program (VIP) upgrade kit for M250 engines, which power Bell 407 and MD600 helicopters. The upgrade will offer increased power in “hot and high” operations and reduced fuel burn.
During rigorous engine tests, the VIP upgrade kit reduced fuel burn by 2 percent while increasing hot/high engine performance by 5 percent – with no increase in engine weight. The VIP upgrade received certification in late 2011 and will be available to operators in the 1st Quarter of this year.
Greg Fedele, Rolls-Royce, Senior Vice President, Helicopters, said: “Rolls-Royceleads the way in technology in the light helicopter turbo-shaft industry, and this M250 upgrade is yet another great example. The M250 engine, with reliability gained over 210 Million flight hours, has been continually upgraded and remains the benchmark for the light helicopter industry.”
The upgrade uses advanced technology developed for the Rolls-Royce RR300 and RR500 engines, which include modifications to the engine impeller and diffuser, as well as optimization of the first-stage turbine nozzle. The VIP upgrade kit is simple, low-cost and easily retrofitted at any Rolls-Royce authorized FIRST Network location.
The VIP development program was executed on time, meeting a commitment to customers. Several “lead the fleet” operators have already been identified to install the VIP upgrade to begin reaping fuel and power benefits.
- HeliRussia – Transas Aviation to provide locally-made GPS for Bell 407, 429
- Dart launches Rear Locker Extender for B206 and B407
- Bell showcases versatile aircraft at AeroExpo 2013
- 25-Apr-13 N937GR Bell 407 Mount Aeneas, US-Montana
- 18-Apr-13 N495AE Bell 407 Waco, US-Texas
- 15-Apr-13 N408GA Bell 407 New River, US-Arizona
- Hawker Pacific announces Queensland Bell 407 sale
- New Mercy Air Med helicopter is in service
- More STC Approvals for Latitude’s SkyNode Satcom and IONode FDM Systems
- Northrop Grumman to Produce More MQ-8C Fire Scouts for US Navy
- Bell booked 50 orders at Heli-Expo 2013
- Honeywell HTS900 powered Eagle 407HP Begins Flight Testing
- Bell and Air Medical Holdings Group Reach Landmark Deal for 30 Helicopters
- 03-Mar-13 N911LL Bell 407 Scottsbluff, US-Nebraska
- Astronics Max-Viz-1500 approved for Bell 206/407 in China
- Flagstaff hospital’s helicopter fills in for DPS
- ExecuJet Africa showcasing helicopter charter at Mining Indaba 2013
- Bell civil helicopter sales up 50% in 2012
- St. Vincent StatFlight to add new base with Bell 407
- Three more 407s delivered to Iraqi military