MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a leading manufacturer of commercial and military helicopters, has announced that the Kansas City Board of Police Commissioners has approved the purchase of three MD 500E helicopters for use by the Police Patrol Support Unit for airborne law enforcement. The selection of MD Helicopters was made after a six month RFP process, which included proposal review and product demonstration by four vendors.
The Kansas City Police Department was one of the first law enforcement agencies to implement the concept of airborne helicopter patrol in the early 1970s using the Hughes 300 helicopter. The decision to upgrade the fleet to a state-of-the-art helicopter was made after years of successful operation using the OH-6 military surplus aircraft. The speed, agility, performance, low acquisition and operating cost of the MD 500E made it the aircraft of choice for the mission. The new aircraft will include an infrared camera, video downlink, NVG compatibility, high powered searchlight and a mapping system from selected vendors.
MD Helicopters is proud of the breadth of its law enforcement customer base. Its history and legacy is built upon serving municipal and military markets. We are so pleased that the Kansas City Police Department has again chosen the MD aircraft as the best value proposition to meet its mission, said Lynn Tilton, CEO of MDHI.
- 07-May-13 I-ONYX MD Helicopters MD500E L’Aquila, Italy
- Polk County Florida Sheriff orders a 500E
- St Louis Metro Air Support buys new 500E
- UK 500E owner wins another helipad planning appeal
- Buyer wins suit over defective ex-police helicopter
- Aero Dynamix delivers MD500E NVG upgrades for Kansas City Police
- MD installs first updated Onboard Systems MD500/600 attach point
- 22-Aug-12 F-GHLF MD Helicopters 500E Lancon-de-Provence, France
- 26-Jul-12 N427WC MD Helicopters MD500E Dalles, US-Oregon
- MD Helicopters reports order for one MD500E at ALEA Convention
- 14-Jun-12 MD Helicopters 500E Columbus, US-Ohio
- Costa Rica Police learn to use helicopter in chases
- 05-Jun-12 MD Helicopters 500E Columbus, US-Ohio
- Fuel donation helps Oakland Police continue flying
- 28-Mar-12 N5189K MD Helicopters 500E Lawrenceville, US-Georgia
- UK: Helipad OK for sumo-wrestling, but not helicopters
- 08-Aug-11 Boeing AH-6M Fort Benning, US-Georgia (2F)
- 19-Jun-11 G-KSWI MD Helicopters MD500E Glastonbury, UK
- Oakland Police helicopter to return to the skies
- NZ pilot fined $6,000 for low flying