Swiss software developers MaxPower have just launched a very helpful app for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad to help in the preflight calculations for a Robinson R22 Beta II or an R44 Raven II. By entering the actual values of temperature, QNH and elevation, the application calculates the manifold pressure and the never exceed speed. That may sound simple, but when you check (scroll down) the screen shots showing the instruments set at the maximums for you to visualise, as well as in clear tabular form.
This app is a must have for all Robinson Pilots, but here in the HeliHub.com office we expect that the developer will continue to expand this for all popular helicopter types. We have tested it on both iPhone and iPad and while the concept is simple, the implementation and the output from the app make this a clear requirement for pilots. Time is money, particularly for those successful people who can afford to fly a helicopter - and the time such people normally take to do these calculations more than justifies buying this app for a single use.
The "paperwork" also includes this warning: This Application reflects general recommendations only and aircraft manufacturers’ documentation must always be followed. This application can never replace the responsibility of the aeroplane operator’s / pilots judgement. The responsibility for the correct operation of the helicopter always stays with the operator / pilot of the helicopter. Although great care has been taken by the developer, errors or misprints can occur for which the developer can not be held liable. The developer does not accept liability for any damage, personal injury, death or any other negative effect that may result from the use of the information contained in this application as a whole or parts thereof.
To download the app, which is priced in the UK at just £1.49 go to the Apple App Store and search on R22 or R44. In Switzerland, the app is priced at 2.00 Swiss Francs. The app is called "max power R22 | r44"
See also http://www.mr-apps.ch
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
Below we show three iPhone / iPod touch screenshots, followed by two iPad screenshots
- Two R44s committed to fight against rhino poaching
- Helifilte WA Celeberates Five Years Of Operation
- Tour operator expands in Orange Beach with second heliport
- Colorado Heli-Ops expands with two more helicopters
- Los Angeles Helicopters Expands Pilot Training to Rwanda Air
- Australia grounds R44s without bladder tanks
- 02-May-13 N442RN Robinson R44 Pomeroy, US-Washington
- EASA approves Aspen Avionics in Robinson R44
- Appeal made for Montreal R44 axe vandal
- EASA approves 31 more Lycoming engines for UL91 fuel
- 23-Apr-13 ZS-HLS Robinson R44 Schoemanskloof, South Africa (4F)
- 23-Apr-13 OO-PIV Robinson R44 Geel, Belgium
- New helicopter license at the age of 76
- 12-Apr-12 N442FG Robinson R44 II Ocean Shores, US-Washington
- New Zealand proposes AD to force R44 bladder tank issue
- Frank Robinson to receive 2013 Guggenheim Medal
- Tourist sues South African R44 pilot after crash
- 09-Apr-13 ZK-HLY Robinson R44 Christchurch, New Zealand
- Tour operator vows to fly helicopters quietly
- Australia may ground R44s without bladder tank upgrade