In a second ceremony in as many days, Sikorskyâ€™sÂ S-92Â®Â Legacy of HeroesÂ (LOH) tour and United Way Bengaluru today honored veterans and children who have performed acts of bravery in saving lives.Â SikorskyÂ is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX). United Way Bengaluru is affiliated to United Way Worldwide.
TheÂ Legacy of Heroes tourÂ celebrates the exemplary and heroic actions of those who fly and maintain Sikorsky aircraft around the world. In the spirit of the Legacy of Heroes, Sikorsky recognized a group of veterans and brave children including national bravery awardees from the state of Karnataka with LOH awards. Among the veterans honored were Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major who rescued ten tourists at Shimla after the cables of their cable car broke, leaving the tourists hanging in mid-air; and Wing Commander Chandra Datt Upadhyay, who supported the Indian Peacekeeping Force in Sri Lanka by flying dangerous missions under fire from militants to evacuate casualties and provide rations to troops.
Among the children felicitated were a 16-year-old handicapped teenager who rescued his cousin from drowning in a river, and a 15-year-old who, in a daring act, helped to nab a notorious pickpocket on a moving bus.
United Way Bengaluru also facilitated the selection of a group of underprivileged children from the community who had the opportunity to experience and fly in the Sikorsky S-92 â€œLegacy Oneâ€ helicopter.
â€œSikorsky Aircraft dedicates countless resources in its efforts to educate, support and strengthen the communities where we live and work. In every part of the world where Sikorsky operates, we help to improve lives and accept our roles as responsible citizens with humility and resolve,â€ said Air Vice Marshal (Retd) Arvind Walia, Executive Vice President, India & South Asia, Sikorsky.
Added Sabu Thomas, Chairman of the Board, United Way Bengaluru, â€œWe work with responsible Corporate Citizens, Government, Community leaders, and volunteers from more than 50 companies to identify, encourage, honor and support children. Our partnership with United Technologies in the past two years has enabled quality education for 1,000 underprivileged children in Bengaluru, India.â€
Sikorsky Aircraftâ€™s Legacy of Heroes tour commenced in the United States in September and has visited Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, Singapore and Thailand. Paying an extended visit to India that began on March 26,Â 2012, currently the tour is visiting Bangaluru followed by Hyderabad, Delhi and Mumbai. During the tour, a six-member crew is conducting cockpit briefings and participating in community support programs along with United Way.
Sikorsky Global Helicopters, a Sikorsky company, develops and produces civil certified helicopters and their derivatives. Sikorsky Aircraft, based in Stratford, Conn., U.S.A., is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., U.S.A., provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries. Web Site:http://www.sikorsky.com
United Way Bengaluru is an affiliate of United Way Worldwide, the worldâ€™s single largest private charity. United Way works relentlessly to advance â€œcommon goodâ€ for the local community through innovative programs in education, healthcare, environment and livelihood. United Way catalyses flow of resources from all parts of society for community and social development initiatives. Website:Â www.uwbengaluru.org.
Sikorsky has created a microsite on the Internet to provide regular updates on the tourâ€™s activities. The microsite offers blog reports from crew members and other highlights including photos and videos of the tour activities. It can be accessed atwww.SikorskyLegacy.com.
- Silk Way Helicopter Services starts S92 offshore long-line operations
- Bristow starts flying S92 and EC225 for Petrofac under new flight-share agreement
- Protective Packaging Corp helps Bristow inhibit North Sea S92
- Initial intake graduates Bond S92 engineering course
- Heli-One develops S-92 Air Inlet repair capability
- Sikorsky awarded $7.9M contract modification for VH-92A Presidential program
- Bristow shares Fair Culture knowledge with Maritime and Coastguard Agency
- Sikorsky Recognizes Bristow for S-92 Rescue Accomplishments
- LifePort S-92 Flooring Durability Improvement
- Sikorsky Launches Customer Care Center
- Era becomes first operator of S-92 with Gross Weight Expansion
- Thai Aviation Services orders five S-76D and two S-92
- VIH Aerospace delivers 22 S-92 auxiliary fuel tank systems to Bristow
- Heli-One Awarded EO/IR Contract in Korea
- VIH Aerospace to offer S-92 Three Tank Aux Fuel System
- Sikorsky releases S-76D and S-92 Flight Crew Operating Manual
- Canadian H92 makes first landing on warship at sea
- DAC International to display Sikorsky’s iFly Sikorsky app at Heli-Expo
- Sikorsky announces new Customer Support Center in Korea
- Sikorsky outlook dims as commercial sales estimate halved