Aviation Week today presented its 2012 MRO of the Year Awards on 3rd April for outstanding achievement and innovation in aviation maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) to four industry leaders: US Airways, Sikorsky Aerospace Services, Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co., and Leading Edge Aviation Services. These prestigious annual industry awards, presented by Overhaul & Maintenance, honor the world's top MRO and aftermarket companies and were presented in conjunction with the Airlines for America's (A4A) 45th Annual Nuts and Bolts Awards at a ceremony during Aviation Week's MRO Americas Conference & Exhibition at the Dallas Convention Center.
"These winners have demonstrated how creativity and a passion for solving problems can go a long way," said Lee Ann Tegtmeier, editor-in-chief of Overhaul & Maintenance. "Aviation Week is proud to present them with these awards for their significant contributions to aviation aftermarket industry."
US Airways, the Outstanding Airline Maintenance Group winner, demonstrated several significant achievements in 2011, including reducing how long deferred maintenance items stayed open by 19% and successfully deferring fewer maintenance items, which set new records for lowest day and lowest month totals. The Military Center of Excellence winner, Sikorsky Aerospace Services, was recognized for working with its partner, the Corpus Christi Army Depot (CCAD), to implement best practices at the H-60 Black Hawk helicopter overhaul facility, which resulted in more efficient inventory and parts availability. Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. (Haeco), winner in the Leading Independent MRO category, was recognized for establishing a collaborative cabin maintenance center with Cathay Pacific Airways to cut down on defects that could affect the passenger experience. The Innovative Service Supplier, Leading Edge Aviation Services, is in the process of repainting 671 of United Continental's aircraft after the two airlines merged, a difficult task over 36 months, which Leading Edge completed while saving the airline more than $5 million through its one-supplier solution.
The A4A Nuts and Bolts Awards, which recognize exceptional service and contributions in the engineering and maintenance fields of the commercial aviation industry, went to Mark Yerger, FedEx Express VP of Aircraft Engineering (Airline category), and Carol Giles, former manager of the Aircraft Maintenance Division of the FAA Flight Standards Service (Industry category). The two groups, Aviation Week and A4A, have partnered since 2001 to bring the joint awards ceremony to MRO Americas, facilitating incomparable networking opportunities for 8,000 participants and aviation industry leaders.
MRO attendees and industry leaders applauded this year's winners at the afternoon ceremony on April 3. For more information on the awards and winners, including photos, visit AviationWeek.com or read the April 2012 issue of Overhaul & Maintenance.
- FLIR Systems wins $23M US Coast Guard order
- Sikorsky awarded $11M contract for one UH-60M for Thailand
- Turkey’s Aselsan secures Sikorsky helicopter subcontract
- Colorado National Guard to open new $39M training facility
- Prototype Engineering awarded $10M Black Hawk overhaul work
- 16-Apr-13 Sikorsky CH-53E Chelwon, Korea
- Donaldson delivers engine filters for US Army Black Hawks
- Breeze-Eastern secures $6M order for Advanced Rescue Hoists
- 01-Apr-13 FAC-4105 Sikorsky UH-60L Tabacal, Colombia
- Swedish Black Hawks head for Afghanistan
- 11-Mar-13 Sikorsky UH-60 Daman district, Afghanistan (5F)
- L-3 Aviation Products Selected for Sikorsky H-60 and S-70i
- 15-Mar-13 Sikorsky MH-60R Chula Vista, US-California
- 24-Feb-13 EJC-2154 Sikorsky UH-60L Vistahermosa, Colombia (4F)
- Cold spray system wins environmental technology award
- New research report issued on Sikorsky
- 16-Dec-12 Sikorsky UH-60 Winner, US-South Dakota
- 15-Dec-12 FAC-4130 Sikorsky UH-60L Providencia, Colombia
- Sikorsky awarded $282M H-60 weapon system contract
- 12-Dec-12 Sikorsky MH-60R North Island NAS, US-California