The 763rd Maintenance Squadron transitioned to the 823rd Maintenance Squadron Apr.10 at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
The name change signifies the squadron's alignment with its sister-squadrons to become a more cohesive unit.
The 763rd originally fell under the 563rd Maintenance Group at Air Force Special Operations Command, but the squadron was redesignated after it moved to Air Combat Command and the 23rd Maintenance Group.
"[This transition] will align us with the rest of the 23rd Maintenance Group," said Chief Master Sgt. McKinney Crawford, 763rd MXG maintenance superintendant. "Our squadrons are all HH-60 helicopter squadrons. The one in Moody [Air Force Base] is the 723rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron and the one in Davis-Mothan [Air Force Base] is 923rd MXS, but we're still carrying 763rd MXS, which is the old designator from AFSOC when we use to fall under 563rd group."
Squadron members said they are excited for the change over and alignment with sister squadrons.
"We'll be part of a three-squadron group," said Master Sgt. Dana Sawyer, 763rd MXS weapons section chief.
Sawyer said the change is important for the group because it demonstrates, "the unity of the three different squadrons."
The day-to-day operations for those under the 763rd MXG will not differ because of the redesignation.
"[This transition is] going to be pretty much transparent to everyone that works here," Crawford said. "It's not going to encompass anything new, and we won't have to reorganize any flight, section or anything like that.
"What the change does do for us is make sure we know what our identity is," he said. "And, that is very important."
The squadron's new identity and pride are reflected throughout Airmen of the 823rd MXS.
"Showing the unity of the three different squadrons is important," Sawyer said. "I think it actually instills more pride to be part of something bigger. We feel like we're more of a team."
- FLIR Systems wins $23M US Coast Guard order
- Sikorsky awarded $11M contract for one UH-60M for Thailand
- Turkey’s Aselsan secures Sikorsky helicopter subcontract
- Colorado National Guard to open new $39M training facility
- Prototype Engineering awarded $10M Black Hawk overhaul work
- 16-Apr-13 Sikorsky CH-53E Chelwon, Korea
- Donaldson delivers engine filters for US Army Black Hawks
- Breeze-Eastern secures $6M order for Advanced Rescue Hoists
- 01-Apr-13 FAC-4105 Sikorsky UH-60L Tabacal, Colombia
- Swedish Black Hawks head for Afghanistan
- 11-Mar-13 Sikorsky UH-60 Daman district, Afghanistan (5F)
- L-3 Aviation Products Selected for Sikorsky H-60 and S-70i
- 15-Mar-13 Sikorsky MH-60R Chula Vista, US-California
- 24-Feb-13 EJC-2154 Sikorsky UH-60L Vistahermosa, Colombia (4F)
- Cold spray system wins environmental technology award
- New research report issued on Sikorsky
- 16-Dec-12 Sikorsky UH-60 Winner, US-South Dakota
- 15-Dec-12 FAC-4130 Sikorsky UH-60L Providencia, Colombia
- Sikorsky awarded $282M H-60 weapon system contract
- 12-Dec-12 Sikorsky MH-60R North Island NAS, US-California