The U.S. Navy has selected Northrop Grumman (NYSE:NOC) to produce the next-generation Fire Scout unmanned helicopter using the Bell 407 airframe. The new variant provides greater range, endurance and payload capacity to ship commander's intelligence-gathering efforts.
According to a U.S. Department of Defense news release on contract awards released April 23, the company will produce a total of eight Fire Scouts within an amount not to exceed $262 million. The Navy plans to purchase a total of 28 aircraft under a rapid development effort.
The Fire Scout endurance upgrade has been designated as the MQ-8C.
"Through our company-funded Fire-X demonstration effort we proved that using the mature unmanned systems architecture developed for the MQ-8B Fire Scout paired with the Bell 407 helicopter would provide greater capability efficiently and affordably," said Duke Dufresne, vice president and general manager for unmanned systems. "By using systems that have many years of development already invested in them we can meet the Navy's needs quickly."
Northrop Grumman is the prime contractor for the MQ-8C program. Major suppliers for new variant include Bell Helicopter and Rolls Royce.
Final assembly of the new Fire Scout variant will be completed at Northrop Grumman's Unmanned Systems Center in Moss Point, Miss.
Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide. Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information.
- Bell announces foreign approval of seven Aeronautical Accessories products
- Tanzania Approves Starlite’s Air Service Licence
- Maricopa County Sheriff chooses FlightSafety for B407 training
- Aeronautical Accessories adds new Bell 407 Items
- 30-May-13 N407HC Bell 407 Columbia, US-Maryland
- Iraqi Army receives last of 24 Bell 407s
- HeliRussia – Transas Aviation to provide locally-made GPS for Bell 407, 429
- Dart launches Rear Locker Extender for B206 and B407
- Bell showcases versatile aircraft at AeroExpo 2013
- 25-Apr-13 N937GR Bell 407 Mount Aeneas, US-Montana
- 18-Apr-13 N495AE Bell 407 Waco, US-Texas
- 15-Apr-13 N408GA Bell 407 New River, US-Arizona
- Hawker Pacific announces Queensland Bell 407 sale
- New Mercy Air Med helicopter is in service
- More STC Approvals for Latitude’s SkyNode Satcom and IONode FDM Systems
- Northrop Grumman to Produce More MQ-8C Fire Scouts for US Navy
- Bell booked 50 orders at Heli-Expo 2013
- Honeywell HTS900 powered Eagle 407HP Begins Flight Testing
- Bell and Air Medical Holdings Group Reach Landmark Deal for 30 Helicopters
- 03-Mar-13 N911LL Bell 407 Scottsbluff, US-Nebraska