Aviation Specialties Unlimited (ASU) announced that they completed a full-service order for the Pasadena Police Department. The Pasadena Police Department purchased four new night vision goggles, modified the interiors of their two Bell OH-58s and received initial training for seven pilots.
“The Pasadena Police Department plays a vital role in the protection of one of Americas most notable cities,” said ASU Director of Marketing Hannah Gordon. “It is critical to have the right equipment, modifications and know how to maximize the use of your goggles by understanding them. We are honored to have completed the modifications, training and sales of the new NVGs to Pasadena.”
Pasadena sits about 10-miles Northeast from downtown Los Angeles, California near the San Gabriel Mountains and has a diverse population of about 140,000 people. Although Los Angeles is well lit at night the outlying areas are not.
“Flying the foothills of Pasadena at night can be very intimidating,” said Pasadena Police Department Chief Pilot, Patrick Polimeni. “It is very easy to lose any visual cues that would indicate a sharp increase in terrain, canyon walls or obstructions. The first time I flew in the foothills with night vision goggles, I could clearly see theses hazards as if it were day and working calls against the foothills are no longer intimidating. I can recall several calls along the foothills that we would either fly at very high altitudes or not normally go to because of the inherent dangers of not being able to see the terrain. With this technology we can now handle these calls without a problem, at altitudes that allow the TFO to be effective.”
ASU’s customized training included not only orienting the pilots with the equipment, but also teaching them how to use NVGs flying in their surrounding environment.
“After the training it became very clear how to best use NVGs during an emergency. Those dark holes have now become suitable landing areas in the event of an emergency. Before the cockpit lights were modified it was difficult to distinguish the different colors on the gauges that indicate cautionary, or exceedance areas. Now with the lighting installed you can clearly see the numbering on the gauges and when you are approaching those time limiting or do not exceed areas,” said Polimeni.
Since 1995, ASU’s goal has been to implement night vision in the civil aviation market to increase operational safety and improve mission capabilities. Our focus is on providing a turnkey solution to our customers so that with one call they can obtain: night vision goggles and replacement parts; service/inspection for goggles; NVG cockpit lighting solutions, installed by our FAA-approved 145 repair station technicians at our facility in Boise, Idaho, or at the customer’s facility; cockpit replacement parts provided by our FAA-approved PMA; initial and recurrent training for flight crews on the use of night vision via an FAA-approved 141 Training Program and/or 135 Air Operator Certificate; assistance in establishing Night Vision Programs.
To date, ASU has conducted training for over 1,400 pilots, 2,900 crewmembers and sold over 4500 aviator systems worldwide.
- 09-May-13 N927SP Bell OH-58A Jekyll Island, US-Georgia
- New Mexico National Guard transfer to UH-72A Lakota
- 04-May-13 N911RN Bell OH-58A Somerton, US-California
- Kiowa Warrior upgrades alter aircraft profile
- 25th CAB named AAAA Outstanding Aviation Unit of the Year
- 16-Mar-13 Bell OH-58D Daman district, Afghanistan (1F)
- 14-Feb-13 N337PW Bell OH-58A Pine Springs, US-Texas
- 08-Jan-13 N911PT Bell OH-58C Lemoore, US-California
- Oklahoma Army National Guard to replace Kiowa with Lakota in 2013
- Two Pasadena Police OH-58s contact each other
- 17-Nov-12 N911FA Bell OH-58A Altadena, US-California
- 17-Nov-12 N96BM Bell OH-58A Altadena, US-California
- Profile – San Juan County Sheriff’s helicopter unit
- US Army tests Eurocopter EC145T2 for Kiowa replacement
- 13-Oct-12 N40TN Bell OH-58 Jackson, US-Tennessee
- Kentucky Army Aviation helps keep the National Guard in the air
- Mohawk Valley Community College Aviation Training Center adds OH-58
- 05-Sep-12 Bell OH-58D Puli Alam, Afghanistan (2F)
- 27-Aug-12 N503DR Bell OH-58C Escalon, US-California
- Boeing establishes simulator-based training for Kiowa flight instructors