Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 262 (Reinforced) received three UH-1Y Venom helicopters at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma May 21 and 25.
The squadron, a part of Marine Aircraft Group 36, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force, received the new helicopters as part of a Corpswide transition of the UH-1N to the UH-1Y helicopter, which is the upgraded, newer and more capable version of the UH-1 platform of helicopter.
“The UH-1Y will be integrated with the Cobras and the other helicopters on the MEU,” said Capt. David J. Jacober, a UH-1Y aircraft commander with HMM-262 (Rein), the aviation combat element of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit. “We will be capable of performing missions from close-air support to casualty evacuation. The new airframe and other systems allow us to accomplish more.”
According to the official Bell Helicopter website, the new aircraft have a 125 percent higher payload capability and a 50 percent increase in range over the UH-1N.
“The two engines combined with the four-bladed rotor allow for the helicopter to achieve a lot more lift,” said Jacober. “The increased load allows for more passengers, more gear and more future upgrades to the platform.”
The new helicopters are equipped with many electronic advances, according to Staff Sgt. Joe D. Corbit, a maintenance controller with the squadron. The new helicopter has a health, usage and monitoring system that does most of the troubleshooting for the maintainers.
The helicopter also has better accessibility and requires less maintenance, according to the Bell Helicopter website.
“There are fewer vibrations in the aircraft while you are flying due to the rotor,” said Jacober.
The UH-1Y will perform the same functions and flight operations as the UH-1N, including combat, training and humanitarian missions around the world.
- 17-Jun-13 Bell UH-1 Ban Na district, Thailand
- Bell awarded $50M for UH-1Y and AH-1Z long-lead parts
- 24-May-13 Bell UH-1 Arlington, US-Virginia
- 15-Apr-13 Bell UH-1H Taipai, Taiwan
- 05-Apr-13 Bell UH-1 Balauana, Tunisia
- Sacramento Metro Fire chooses Becker avionics for UH-1
- Sacramento Metro Fire chooses Becker system for UH-1
- HFI to display three heritage helicopters at Heli-Expo 2013
- 25-Feb-13 Bell UH-1N Parshall, US-North Dakota
- Oregon UH-1 operator for sale
- 10-Jan-13 N7247J Bell UH-1H La Paloma, US-California
- UK – Helicopter Museum Huey becomes Vietnam film star
- Santa Barbara County refurbish UH-1 for fire and sheriff tasks
- 01-Nov-12 Huey II Sandoná, Colombia
- Rockwell-Collins awarded $17M contract for Nav/Comm repairs
- 07-Oct-12 N1577 Bell UH-1H Medford, US-Oregon
- Huey donation provides new training possibilities at Crisis City
- Huey moves into Wings of Eagles Discovery Center
- 27-Jul-12 Bell UH-1 Catha Village, South Africa (1F)
- 03-Jul-12 N499DF Bell UH-1H Willits, US-California