The UK CAA yesterday registered a factory-new AgustaWestland AW109SP GrandNew as G-MAOL - serial 22271. Although the registered owner is listed as "Mash Aviation Ltd", the address matches that of sporting goods retailer SportsDirect - and owner Mike Ashley's central company is "Mash Holdings". Ashley is also the owner of football's Premiership club Newcastle United
SportsDirect previously operated an AW109S Grand, G-CDWY
Jeremy Parkin - HeliHub.com
STOP PRESS - A few hours later we receieved the following press release from Sloane Helicopters regarding this aircraft
Sloane Helicopters, the UK and Ireland Distributor for AgustaWestland, have taken delivery of another AW A109SP GrandNew helicopter at the manufacturer’s brand new ‘Delivery Facility’ in Italy this week. This latest aircraft is the third GrandNew to be placed on the UK register within the past 12 months.
The GrandNew is the first light twin helicopter to incorporate synthetic vision making it the most technologically advanced helicopter in its class. The GrandNew also has a next generation digital avionic suite together with a new cockpit layout to increase safety and reduce pilot workload. The 4 axis autopilot provides automatic navigation from take-off to approach providing lateral and vertical guidance for in-flight procedures.
The Grandnew has a more modern interior in the passenger cabin layout providing a smoother more comfortable ride with an optional in-flight entertainment system displaying, flight map, cockpit view, DVD and iPod music interface.
The Grandnew will enable both pilots and passengers to enjoy a whole new experience of helicopter flight.
Photo - Claudio Vinetti (AgustaWestland) Stephen Mitchell (Sloane’s Head of Sales)
- UK – Castle Air opens new base at Biggin Hill
- HeliRussia – Exclases Holdings signs for a GrandNew
- Royal Air Force VIP flight reduced to one AW109E
- Mexico orders six GrandNew for Presidential flight
- AgustaWestland to Exhibit at EHS
- Australia – Linfox receives sixth new AgustaWestland helicopter in 13 years
- Summit Air Ambulance rolling after successful first year
- 29-Mar-13 AgustaWestland A109LUH Kruger, South Africa (5F)
- UK – Hayward & Green launch A109 component support programme
- Helidecks releases cockpit guide/checklist iPad apps for AW109 and R44
- Helicopter crash – central London UK
- 16-Jan-13 G-CRST AgustaWestland AW109E Vauxhall, UK (2F)
- 15-Dec-12 07 AgustaWestland AW109E Okoroba, Nigeria (6F)
- 30-Sep-12 N144CF AgustaWestland AW109E Eastland, US-Texas
- RSG completes certification of AW109 secondary digital altimeter
- 17-Sep-12 N901EM AgustaWestland AW109E US-Maine
- 10-Aug-12 G-MEDX AgustaWestland AW109E Corby, UK
- FB Heliservices wins two year Albanian training contract
- 28-Jul-12 XA-UQH AgustaWestland AW109SP Cerro Alpino, Mexico (3F)
- 17-Jul-12 N716AM Agusta A109A Niihau, US-Hawaii