Donaldson Aerospace & Defense, a division of Donaldson Company, Inc. (NYSE: DCI), continues to see growing utilization of its new AgustaWestland AW109E/S/SP Inlet Barrier Filter (IBF) system by helicopter operators across the globe. Idaho’s Summit Air Ambulance was the first AW109E operator to implement the IBF and provided key assistance in developing the barrier filter system.
“We were fortunate to assist Donaldson in performing the initial flight testing and certification of the 109 Inlet Barrier Filter system,” said Summit Senior Vice President Larry Bacus. “We fly in extremely dusty environments and I believe this system will cut our non-scheduled maintenance and our engine overhaul costs drastically. The return on investment is substantial and it also enhances our safety program.”
Installed on Summit’s AW109E ships, the IBF systems will lead to a direct reduction in engine damage and related operating costs for this longtime air medical helicopter operator. The IBF provides the most effective protection package available in the industry, preventing engine damage in adverse conditions and ramp environments alike, while maintaining performance.
Summit’s operations include high-altitude landings to assist patients in Idaho, Nevada and across the Western U.S. Thanks to the IBF, Summit continues to operate effectively in these service areas, now allowing engines to reach TBO without erosion, glazing or other environmental damage. The combination of engine protection and high altitude performance benefits the most important part of Summit’s program which is the ability to provide consistent service to patients.
IBFs are available for three of AgustaWestland’s AW109 series aircraft; the AW109E Power, AW109S Grand and the AW109SP Grand New. Operators of these helicopters can benefit from reduced operating costs, without experiencing performance or drag penalties.
The new IBF is a drop-in system with minimal installation impact. Features include:
- Streamlined conformal filter assemblies on each side, mounted into the existing engine cowl.
- An alternate inlet air bypass system, mounted and hidden within the AW109 upper aft fairing. This emergency bypass capability is an important IBF feature, not included with particle separator alternatives.
- A design that does not interfere with the sliding door and allows for quick removal and service.
Providing the most comprehensive line of IBF solutions, Donaldson Aerospace & Defense is the industry leader in the design, development and manufacture of high-performance engine IBF systems for commercial and military propulsion systems. Through its St. Louis, Missouri location, Donaldson provides certified IBF solutions for the AgustaWestland AW109E/S/SP, AW119 Koala, AW119Ke and AW139; Bell 205A1, 206B, 407, 206L-3/4, 206L-1(C30), 230, 429 and 430; Eurocopter EC130, AS350 B/BA/B1/B2/B3/B3e, AS350s with Soloy or Heli-Lynx Honeywell engine conversions; and MD Helicopters MD 369H Series, MD 500D/E/F and MD 900/902. To learn more about the Donaldson Aerospace & Defense group, visit www.DonaldsonAerospace-
- UK – Castle Air opens new base at Biggin Hill
- HeliRussia – Exclases Holdings signs for a GrandNew
- Royal Air Force VIP flight reduced to one AW109E
- Mexico orders six GrandNew for Presidential flight
- AgustaWestland to Exhibit at EHS
- Australia – Linfox receives sixth new AgustaWestland helicopter in 13 years
- Summit Air Ambulance rolling after successful first year
- 29-Mar-13 AgustaWestland A109LUH Kruger, South Africa (5F)
- UK – Hayward & Green launch A109 component support programme
- Helidecks releases cockpit guide/checklist iPad apps for AW109 and R44
- Helicopter crash – central London UK
- 16-Jan-13 G-CRST AgustaWestland AW109E Vauxhall, UK (2F)
- 15-Dec-12 07 AgustaWestland AW109E Okoroba, Nigeria (6F)
- 30-Sep-12 N144CF AgustaWestland AW109E Eastland, US-Texas
- RSG completes certification of AW109 secondary digital altimeter
- 17-Sep-12 N901EM AgustaWestland AW109E US-Maine
- 10-Aug-12 G-MEDX AgustaWestland AW109E Corby, UK
- FB Heliservices wins two year Albanian training contract
- 28-Jul-12 XA-UQH AgustaWestland AW109SP Cerro Alpino, Mexico (3F)
- 17-Jul-12 N716AM Agusta A109A Niihau, US-Hawaii