GKN Aerospace has been selected to provide Bell Helicopter with key metal and composite structures across the new 525 Relentless helicopter fuselage.
This major work package includes composite and aluminium fuselage panels and structural parts installed in the cockpit, cabin and tailboom. Manufacture will begin in late 2012 with initial deliveries scheduled for 2013 and continuing through to the end of 2015.
Two GKN Aerospace North American facilities, in St. Louis, Missouri and Tallassee, Alabama, will undertake the manufacture of these components and assemblies. The St Louis site will supply complex machined aluminium bulkheads, frames and spars and the Tallassee site will produce composite structure including skins, bulkheads and frame assemblies.
Kevin Cummings, CEO – GKN Aerospace, North America commented: “GKN Aerospace engineers have worked closely with the Bell Helicopter team through the structural design phase of this programme. Together we have met the demanding weight and performance requirements for structures and assemblies that will equip this airframe from tip to tail - and whose manufacture will exploit our expertise across composite manufacture and metal machining. We are extremely proud to play our part in the creation of this first in a new class of ‘Super Medium’ helicopters.”
GKN Aerospace is the major independent supplier of aero-structures and a world technology leader in the use of composites and metallics in aviation. The company is pioneering new production techniques that are improving the quality and consistency of manufacture at greatly increased production rates.
The 525 Relentless brings cutting edge capability to the new super-medium class by combining best-in-class performance characteristics and passenger amenities, with fly-by-wire flight controls, a touch screen avionics suite and Bell Helicopter’s new tail boom technology.
- Saint-Gobain Aerospace to supply Bell 525 nose radomes
- Bell provides 525 Relentless program update
- Bell detail Paris Air Show presence
- Honeywell to provide APU and environmental control system for Bell 525
- Moog to build primary flight control actuation for Bell 525
- Bell at Heli-Expo – Relentlessly focused on its customers
- Mecaer signs multiple contracts shead of NBAA 2012
- Bell to balance military cuts with civil expansion in Amarillo
- Bell receives Gold Stevie® award for marketing Campaign of the Year
- Mecaer Aviation Group wins Bell 525 landing gear contract
- Amarillo City Commission gives Bell $5 Million
- Pacifica Engineering named Key Supplier to Bell 525
- KUKA Systems selected as supplier partner for Bell 525
- Bell 525 – key suppliers named
- Bell details helicopters they will show at Farnborough 2012
- Helicargo SA to bring Bell 525 Relentless to Colombia
- BAE Systems to provide fly-by-wire flight controls for Bell 525
- Bell 525 features ARC Horizon flight deck
- Bell Helicopter introduces the 525 “Relentless” Super Medium helicopter
- Bell prepares for big launch – the 525 Relentless