This week senior investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board will provide 20 presentations on a variety of aviation safety issues at AirVenture 2012, the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual fly-in convention in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The NTSB has added new emphasis to general aviation as a safety advocacy priority. Last year general aviation safety was added to the NTSB's Most Wanted List of Safety Improvements. And earlier this year, the NTSB released its first-ever safety study on experimental amateur-built (E-AB) aircraft. In just the past few months, the Safety Board held two general aviation safety forums. Every year, more than 1,500 general aviation accidents occur resulting in the deaths of about 450 individuals. The NTSB is concerned that these numbers have remained stagnant over the past decade.
"In Oshkosh, we'll have tremendous opportunities to share lessons learned from our investigations with an enthusiastic aviation community," said NTSB Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman. "In particular, we're look forward to interacting with experimental aircraft builders to relay the findings and recommendations from our E-AB safety study."
Investigators will discuss the study and other safety issues, including aeronautical decision making, weather flying, and accident case studies. They will also meet with members of the public who visit the NTSB exhibit in the Federal Pavilion.
Media requests for interviews with one of the Board members or investigators should be emailed to NTSB press officer Peter Knudson.
For a schedule of NTSB presentations at AirVenture 2012 as well as links to online resources, including a summary of the E-AB safety study, go to http://go.usa.gov/fI6
Follow us on Twitter @NTSB and throughout AirVenture 2012 with #OSH12.
- Bristow – EC225 situation will last another year or more
- Iraqi Army receives last of 24 Bell 407s
- Argentine Air Force to add two Bell 412s
- EBACE – AgustaWestland pushes VIP-role AW169
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance goes operational
- EBACE – Bell showcases 429
- AHS – Prevailing In “Demanding Environments”
- HAI Participates at HeliRussia 2013
- Bristow publish results for Q4 and Year ended 31st March 2013
- Floating helipad returns to Destin
- R66 lands at North Pole
- Nine new customers in China for Enstrom
- Eurocopter to supply EC225 and AS350B3e to China’s State Grid General Aviation Company
- CAE upgrades visuals on Royal Navy Lynx Mk8 full-mission simulator
- Keystone Med-Flight Announces New VP of Operations
- Fourth corporate AW139 sold into UK market
- REACH adds sixth EC135
- Enstrom breaks ground on production plant expansion
- Bell promotes innovation at AHS Forum 69
- HAI at AHS Forum 69