On Dec. 5, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) announced plans to take up legislation to regulate low-flying helicopters above residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles, California, saying voluntary controls for “persistent fly-overs” were insufficient. The announcement comes amid longstanding complaints from residents regarding low-flying police and news helicopters.
Schiff said he would take up stalled legislation introduced by Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.) that would require the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to establish rules on flight paths and minimum altitudes for helicopters in Los Angeles. Berman lost his congressional seat in a hard fought member vs. member primary last month.
Schiff issued his statement after meeting with FAA officials on Dec. 5. He claims the region’s mountains and canyon passes only amplify the impact to residents who must contend with the “intrusive, disruptive and often non-emergency related helicopter traffic above their homes and neighborhoods.”
“Add to that the problem of tourist and press helicopters tracking celebrities in the Hollywood Hills and West Hollywood, or perusing the Rose Bowl, and you have a significant impact on the quality of life of thousands of constituents,” Schiff said.
Rep. Berman issued a statement as well saying he was heartened that Schiff would be taking up the mantle in pushing for the legislation next year.
HAI has worked in conjunction with PHPA to address this issue and will continue to do so on behalf of its members.
- Los Angeles Police Dept order four airbus H125
- New Helicopter Tours Announced in Costa Rica
- KABC-TV Unveils State-of-the-art AIR7HD
- Twirly Birds Announce Annual Meeting in Dallas, Texas
- Bell delivers first fully customized aircraft from Prague Facility
- Huangling Turns into a Golden Field of Seasonal Wonder as Spring Arrives
- U.S. based Air Evac Lifeteam deploys Ramco Aviation Suite V5.7
- Columbia Helicopters Selects SKYTRAC Flight Data Monitoring
- Bell Helicopter and TRU Meet Milestones Marking BTA-Valencia Completion
- Safe Flight and Vector Aerospace to Showcase New Partnership at Heli-Expo
- DART Aerospace starts the new year with its presence at the HAI Heli-Expo 2017
- Wysong deliveres two B407GX’s to PHI Air Medica
- Possible Stabilization for Oil and Gas Sector
- Entrepreneur David MacNeil takes delivery of new, customized Airbus H145 helicopter
- Worldwide Helicopter Safety Teams Will Release Accident Data at Heli-Expo 2017
- LifeFlight Requests New Toowoomba Base
- Rostec and RDIF attract leading international funds to invest in Russian Helicopters
- Pakistan expands its AW139 fleet with new orders
- NHV awarded with offshore contract by Seaway Heavy Lifting
- Russian Helicopters expanding after-sales services in the Near East and Africa