On Dec. 5, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) announced plans to take up legislation to regulate low-flying helicopters above residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles, California, saying voluntary controls for “persistent fly-overs” were insufficient. The announcement comes amid longstanding complaints from residents regarding low-flying police and news helicopters.
Schiff said he would take up stalled legislation introduced by Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.) that would require the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to establish rules on flight paths and minimum altitudes for helicopters in Los Angeles. Berman lost his congressional seat in a hard fought member vs. member primary last month.
Schiff issued his statement after meeting with FAA officials on Dec. 5. He claims the region’s mountains and canyon passes only amplify the impact to residents who must contend with the “intrusive, disruptive and often non-emergency related helicopter traffic above their homes and neighborhoods.”
“Add to that the problem of tourist and press helicopters tracking celebrities in the Hollywood Hills and West Hollywood, or perusing the Rose Bowl, and you have a significant impact on the quality of life of thousands of constituents,” Schiff said.
Rep. Berman issued a statement as well saying he was heartened that Schiff would be taking up the mantle in pushing for the legislation next year.
HAI has worked in conjunction with PHPA to address this issue and will continue to do so on behalf of its members.
- Negotiations for Stat MedEvac Housing at Clearfield-Lawrence Airport
- Sanford AirMed Stationed at Fargo Hospital
- Tender Issued for EMS Helicopter to Support Baltic Wind Farms
- CoxHealth Expands Air Medical Fleet
- East Anglian Air Ambulance says goodbye to one of its founding members
- Frasca Sells H125 Flight Simulator to Aero Asahi
- BAT Trainer Modernizes Helicopter Simulator Flying
- FAA to Hold Airspace Workshops in Las Vegas
- DART Aerospace to exhibit at FAMEX 2017
- Heritage Aviation expands its fleet with two new Airbus H130 helicopters
- FAA approves Onboard Systems MD500 Hooks with Surefire Release
- The Helicopter Museum to dispose of A109 and B206 airframes in Jumble Sale
- Esterline showcases ADS-B Annunciators with fast delivery
- Jonathan Jenkins appointed new CEO of London’s Air Ambulance
- Héli-Union Opens a New Branch in Pau, France
- US Navy awards Elbit $150M MH-60S fleet helmet contract
- McMahon Helicopter Services appointed distributor for MD Helicopters
- RUAG integrates pilot assistance and safety solution on Swiss AF EC635 fleet
- Counterdrug MH-65 Unit Marks 500th Drug Interdiction
- Aselsan Looks to Upgrade 10,000 Mi-series Helicopters