On Dec. 5, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) announced plans to take up legislation to regulate low-flying helicopters above residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles, California, saying voluntary controls for “persistent fly-overs” were insufficient. The announcement comes amid longstanding complaints from residents regarding low-flying police and news helicopters.
Schiff said he would take up stalled legislation introduced by Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.) that would require the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to establish rules on flight paths and minimum altitudes for helicopters in Los Angeles. Berman lost his congressional seat in a hard fought member vs. member primary last month.
Schiff issued his statement after meeting with FAA officials on Dec. 5. He claims the region’s mountains and canyon passes only amplify the impact to residents who must contend with the “intrusive, disruptive and often non-emergency related helicopter traffic above their homes and neighborhoods.”
“Add to that the problem of tourist and press helicopters tracking celebrities in the Hollywood Hills and West Hollywood, or perusing the Rose Bowl, and you have a significant impact on the quality of life of thousands of constituents,” Schiff said.
Rep. Berman issued a statement as well saying he was heartened that Schiff would be taking up the mantle in pushing for the legislation next year.
HAI has worked in conjunction with PHPA to address this issue and will continue to do so on behalf of its members.
- Eight NZ operators join to launch National Helicopter Pass
- Universal Helicopters orders four R44s and two R22s
- Argentine Coast Guard negotiating for EC225s
- Texstars to produce windshields for Bell 525 Relentless
- Norbert Dentressangle secures contract renewal with AgustaWestland
- Scotts Bell 47 far exceed their 2013 sales targets for turbine 4GT-6 helicopter
- Brunei accepts four Sikorsky S-70i Black Hawks
- Bristow and CHC EC225 training captains like EC175 too
- CV-22 Osprey to make final landing at museum
- Korea requests fourteen CH-47D Chinooks
- Register Update – USA – week to 1 December 2013
- Register Update – Canada – November 2013
- Canada – Fatal June 2012 AS350 crash blamed on inadvertent IMC
- Air BP launches the first direct cash back reward card in GA
- Russian Helicopters showcases new Ansat and Ka-226T at EMS event
- New St Luke Helicopter Hangar Almost Complete
- Heli-One adds innovative website search feature for Component Exchange and Surplus Inventory
- Eurocopter customer MHS praises EC175
- Onboard Systems to develop new cargo hook System for MD Explorer
- HMH-772 flies toward aerial excellence