On Dec. 5, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) announced plans to take up legislation to regulate low-flying helicopters above residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles, California, saying voluntary controls for “persistent fly-overs” were insufficient. The announcement comes amid longstanding complaints from residents regarding low-flying police and news helicopters.
Schiff said he would take up stalled legislation introduced by Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.) that would require the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to establish rules on flight paths and minimum altitudes for helicopters in Los Angeles. Berman lost his congressional seat in a hard fought member vs. member primary last month.
Schiff issued his statement after meeting with FAA officials on Dec. 5. He claims the region’s mountains and canyon passes only amplify the impact to residents who must contend with the “intrusive, disruptive and often non-emergency related helicopter traffic above their homes and neighborhoods.”
“Add to that the problem of tourist and press helicopters tracking celebrities in the Hollywood Hills and West Hollywood, or perusing the Rose Bowl, and you have a significant impact on the quality of life of thousands of constituents,” Schiff said.
Rep. Berman issued a statement as well saying he was heartened that Schiff would be taking up the mantle in pushing for the legislation next year.
HAI has worked in conjunction with PHPA to address this issue and will continue to do so on behalf of its members.
- Heli-One adds H225 MRO in Poland
- Pro Star Aviation Expedites Certification HTAWS on PHi Bell 407s
- Spectrum Aeromed CEO Appointed to North Dakota District Export Council
- Maverick Helicopters wins FAA Diamond award for fifth straight year
- Conklin & de Decker takes Operating Costs Seminar to Mexico
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance orders second H145
- Starspeed introduces two new team members
- HeliRussia to include the 4th Air Ambulance & MedEvac Conference
- Bristow wins two five-year Norwegian contracts
- North Myrtle Beach tour operator seeks court mediation
- Rooivalk Squadron honoured with Sword of Peace award
- Australia delivers UH-1 parts to Lebanese Army
- Los Alamos Medical Center now hosts Bell 407
- Register Update – United Kingdom – January 2016
- VIH Aerospace participates in Canadian Trade Delegation to Asia
- UK CAA to open exam centre in Trinidad & Tobago
- Donate to HFI silent auction before 8th February
- Vertical Flight Foundation Scholarship Applications Now Due Feb. 3
- 03-Feb-16 5N-BQJ Sikorsky S76C++ off Lagos, Nigeria
- Avinco closed record 31 helicopter transactions in 2015