On Dec. 5, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) announced plans to take up legislation to regulate low-flying helicopters above residential neighborhoods in Los Angeles, California, saying voluntary controls for “persistent fly-overs” were insufficient. The announcement comes amid longstanding complaints from residents regarding low-flying police and news helicopters.
Schiff said he would take up stalled legislation introduced by Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.) that would require the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to establish rules on flight paths and minimum altitudes for helicopters in Los Angeles. Berman lost his congressional seat in a hard fought member vs. member primary last month.
Schiff issued his statement after meeting with FAA officials on Dec. 5. He claims the region’s mountains and canyon passes only amplify the impact to residents who must contend with the “intrusive, disruptive and often non-emergency related helicopter traffic above their homes and neighborhoods.”
“Add to that the problem of tourist and press helicopters tracking celebrities in the Hollywood Hills and West Hollywood, or perusing the Rose Bowl, and you have a significant impact on the quality of life of thousands of constituents,” Schiff said.
Rep. Berman issued a statement as well saying he was heartened that Schiff would be taking up the mantle in pushing for the legislation next year.
HAI has worked in conjunction with PHPA to address this issue and will continue to do so on behalf of its members.
- First show of the new Russian light helicopter to take place at HeliRussia 2018
- Milestone Aviation provides four new H135 helicopters to ADAC
- Oceania Aviation receives award from MD Helicopters
- New mission systems extend the capabilities for the German Federal Police Air Support
- Honeywell provides support to AW139 Leonardo fleets
- Trakka announces SWE-400 Quad Orders
- 4 Key Helicopter Technologies That Will Save Lives
- Mid-Continent Named Authorized BendixKing Repair Partner
- Marine Corps Plans for Super UAS
- Charleston County Sheriff Replace Aging Bell
- DART Aerospace certifies lightweight Bell 505 Bearpaws
- MD Helicopters announces scholarship recipient
- Aero Products partners with Pall Aerospace
- StandardAero Announces Plans Expansion
- Voom’s helicopter commuting service launches in Mexico City
- Leonardo boosts international growth
- PHI Announces Appointment of new Director to Board of Directors
- AAMS Board of Directors – Open Call for Region 1 Director
- Dallas Airmotive reduces PW206C Engine Overhaul TAT
- Sloane Helicopters announced as new Penzance Heliport operator