1. Purpose of This Notice. This notice explains to airworthiness aviation safety inspectors (ASI) a different rating for the maintenance of night vision goggles (NVG).
2. Audience. The primary audience for this notice is airworthiness ASIs who certificate repair stations that maintain night vision goggles.
3. Where You Can Find This Notice. You can find this notice on the MyFAA employee web site at https://employees.faa.gov/tools_resources/orders_notices. Inspectors can access this notice through the Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS) at http://fsims.avs.faa.gov. Operators can find this notice on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Web site at http://fsims.faa.gov. This notice is available to the public at http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices.
4. Distribution. The following offices will receive this notice:
• Flight Standards Service (AFS) divisions located at the FAA headquarters (HQ) in Washington, DC;
• Regulatory Support Division (AFS-600) at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center (MMAC);
• Regional AFS offices at the branch-level; and
• All Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO).
5. Background. NVGs have progressed over time from an emerging military technology to one that is now in daily civilian use. As NVG technology first became available for civil-use, repair stations (that performed maintenance on this emerging technology) developed their own process or used military maintenance specifications. Since NVG technology was considered unique, and maintaining the equipment was unusual, this limited the scope and availability of NVGs, NVG maintenance providers, and NVG maintenance documentation. As a result, it was appropriate for the FAA to issue repair stations a limited rating for specialized services for performing such work.
Distribution: Electronic Only Initiated By: AFS-300
- Annapurna Helicopter received approval from CAAN, Mustang to receive NOC in a few days
- Parker-Hannifin Awarded $39M Contract for HH-60 Spare Stock Number Items
- Ansat and Mi-171A2 helicopters begin a demonstration tour
- First Zulus arrive at MCAS Cherry Point
- Russian Helicopters are ready to supply six Mi-171A2
- Russian Helicopters to open service centers in China
- Two Awards of Excellence won by Wiltshire Air Ambulance
- Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence – winners announced
- Aspirus MedEvac Achieves NAAMTA Accreditation
- Safran Helicopter Engines appoints Senior Executive VP
- Italy Saves €450M from Defence Contract
- Changes for SB-1 Defiant Test Flight
- Asbestos forces Canadian SAR EH101s to move out of Gander
- Lockheed Awarded $382M Contract for Production and Delivery for 8 MH-60R
- NEXA Advisors and VFS to Produce Landmark Urban Air Mobility Study
- PAC delivers 3 Upgraded EC135s
- Trials to launch and land Chinooks on RFA Tidesurge
- Thales to set up Chinese training centre with Avicopter
- SGT Wins Contracts to Support US Army Black Hawk
- CHC Continues 50 Years of Service with Point Resources AS