1. Purpose of This Notice. This notice explains to airworthiness aviation safety inspectors (ASI) a different rating for the maintenance of night vision goggles (NVG).
2. Audience. The primary audience for this notice is airworthiness ASIs who certificate repair stations that maintain night vision goggles.
3. Where You Can Find This Notice. You can find this notice on the MyFAA employee web site at https://employees.faa.gov/tools_resources/orders_notices. Inspectors can access this notice through the Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS) at http://fsims.avs.faa.gov. Operators can find this notice on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Web site at http://fsims.faa.gov. This notice is available to the public at http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices.
4. Distribution. The following offices will receive this notice:
• Flight Standards Service (AFS) divisions located at the FAA headquarters (HQ) in Washington, DC;
• Regulatory Support Division (AFS-600) at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center (MMAC);
• Regional AFS offices at the branch-level; and
• All Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO).
5. Background. NVGs have progressed over time from an emerging military technology to one that is now in daily civilian use. As NVG technology first became available for civil-use, repair stations (that performed maintenance on this emerging technology) developed their own process or used military maintenance specifications. Since NVG technology was considered unique, and maintaining the equipment was unusual, this limited the scope and availability of NVGs, NVG maintenance providers, and NVG maintenance documentation. As a result, it was appropriate for the FAA to issue repair stations a limited rating for specialized services for performing such work.
Distribution: Electronic Only Initiated By: AFS-300
- Teletronics awarded $45M contract for Acquisition of V-22 Data Hardware
- General Electric awarded $143M contract for Procurement of 22 T408-GE-400 CH-53K helicopter engines
- Bell awarded patent for Tiltrotor aircraft having spherical bearing mounted pylon assemblies
- Honeywell International awarded patent for surveillance system using micro mobile drones and IP cameras
- North Island Hospital opens new campus
- Russian Helicopters Concluded the First Export Contract for the Supply of Mi-171А2
- 150th H145 delivered to HTM
- Air Ambulance Awards of Excellence 2017
- Iron Mountain awarded $7M contract for Foreign Military Sales for the Utility Helicopter Project Office.
- Safran celebrates 40 years in Brazil
- ASU Obtains NVIS Transport Canada STC on AS350
- Abu Dhabi Aviation expands Leonardo AW139 fleet
- New FAA Guidance for Electronic Flight Bags
- Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey Fleet Tops 400,000 Flight Hours
- S92 Helicopters Certified to Operate in Mexico
- Nova Scotia customer 4 orders Bell 407GXP
- Abu Dhabi Aviation sign new PWC support agreement
- Helicopters of Russia handed over Mi-28UBs to the Russian Defense Ministry
- Conklin & de Decker Release Aircraft Cost Evaluator 17.2
- V-22 Osprey readiness rate is 48%