L-3 Aviation Products (AP) announced today that Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation has selected the GH-3001™ Electronic Standby Instrument System (ESIS), Stormscope® WX-500 Lightning Detection System and PS-855 Emergency Power Supply (EPS) for its H-60 and S-70i™ helicopter platforms. This follow-on award is a five-year contract that spans from 2013 through 2017.
The Sikorsky H-60 and S-70i aircraft are flown by more than 25 countries, with the U.S. Army and Navy operating the bulk of them.
"This award represents the single largest order we’ve received from an OEM for our GH, Stormscope and Power Supply products," said Ralph DeMarco, vice president of sales and marketing for L-3 Aviation Products. "With the inclusion of these very capable avionics, Sikorsky’s line of military rotorcraft continues to set the benchmark for the most modern and capable helicopters available."
Designed with military platforms in mind, the night vision goggle (NVG)-compatible GH-3001 ESIS provides accurate attitude, altitude, airspeed and heading cues in a compact unit that has been certified to higher EMI levels. Customized tape readouts allow the addition of a Vertical Speed Indicator (VSI).
The WX-500 Stormscope is a passive system that was developed specifically to detect and map thunderstorms by analyzing the radiated signals of electrical discharges from storm cells. By detecting the electrical activity, Stormscope provides an accurate view of areas that are the most dangerous portions of a thunderstorm.
The PS-855 EPS supplies power to critical avionics in the event of an emergency and produces additional power output at 24 VDC to run other emergency equipment without interruption. The batteries are capable of withstanding severe performance requirements, including thermal shock and high charge and discharge rates.
L-3 Aviation Products (AP) is a leading provider of commercial and military avionics with unsurpassed performance, quality and customer support. L-3 AP manufactures a diverse line of safety- and efficiency-enhancing products that sets the standard for next-generation requirements, including configurable voice and data recorders, collision avoidance systems, navigation products, display systems and processors. L-3 AP also offers aftermarket services, including MRO and integrated performance-based logistics for military and commercial systems. To learn more about L-3 Aviation Products, please visit www.L-3com.com/aviationproducts.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., is a world leader in aircraft design, manufacture and service. It is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), based in Hartford, Conn., which provides a broad range of high-technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
Headquartered in New York City, L-3 employs approximately 51,000 people worldwide and is a prime contractor in C3ISR (Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) systems, aircraft modernization and maintenance, and national security solutions. L-3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on military and commercial platforms. The company reported 2012 sales of $13.1 billion. To learn more about L-3, please visit the company’s website at www.L-3com.com.
- FLIR Systems wins $23M US Coast Guard order
- Sikorsky awarded $11M contract for one UH-60M for Thailand
- Turkey’s Aselsan secures Sikorsky helicopter subcontract
- Colorado National Guard to open new $39M training facility
- Prototype Engineering awarded $10M Black Hawk overhaul work
- 16-Apr-13 Sikorsky CH-53E Chelwon, Korea
- Donaldson delivers engine filters for US Army Black Hawks
- Breeze-Eastern secures $6M order for Advanced Rescue Hoists
- 01-Apr-13 FAC-4105 Sikorsky UH-60L Tabacal, Colombia
- Swedish Black Hawks head for Afghanistan
- 11-Mar-13 Sikorsky UH-60 Daman district, Afghanistan (5F)
- 15-Mar-13 Sikorsky MH-60R Chula Vista, US-California
- 24-Feb-13 EJC-2154 Sikorsky UH-60L Vistahermosa, Colombia (4F)
- Cold spray system wins environmental technology award
- New research report issued on Sikorsky
- 16-Dec-12 Sikorsky UH-60 Winner, US-South Dakota
- 15-Dec-12 FAC-4130 Sikorsky UH-60L Providencia, Colombia
- Sikorsky awarded $282M H-60 weapon system contract
- 12-Dec-12 Sikorsky MH-60R North Island NAS, US-California
- US Army Black Hawk flies autonomously over California