Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. company (NYSE: TXT), revealed today the Bell V-280 ValorTM, its offering for the Joint Multi Role/Future Vertical Lift (FVL) Technology Demonstrator (JMR/TD), at the 2013 Army Aviation Association of America’s (AAAA) Annual Professional Forum and Exposition in Fort Worth.
“The introduction of the Bell V-280 Valor underscores our commitment to our military customers. The Bell V-280’s unmatched capabilities in speed, range and payload, and its operational agility combine to deliver the best value for the U.S Army,” said John Garrison, president and CEO at Bell Helicopter. “This aircraft is the most advanced and operationally effective vertical lift solution, providing the Warfighter a decisive advantage. The name itself makes an important statement of its own: V representing vertical lift, 280 representing its unmatched speed, and Valor as a tribute to the service men and women who approach their jobs with valor every day.”
The Bell V-280 Valor, Bell Helicopter’s third generation tiltrotor, offers the U.S. Army the highest levels of maturity and technical readiness. With its U.S. Army-centric design, the Bell V-280 has the capacity to perform a multitude of missions with unparalleled speed and agility. The Bell V-280’s clean sheet design reduces complexity compared to previous generation tiltrotors, with fewer parts, as well as non-rotating, fixed engines. The Valor delivers the best value in procurement, operations and support, and force structure, providing increased maintainability, component reliability and systems designed to reduce operational and support costs.
“The Bell V-280 is a combat multiplier with a cruise speed of 280 knots and combat range of up to 800 nautical miles. Tiltrotor is the only vertical lift platform that can rapidly self-deploy to any theater,” said Mitch Snyder, executive vice-president for military programs at Bell Helicopter. “And our technology demonstrator is a true medium class aircraft accommodating a crew of four and 11 troops, which translates to the highest level of certainty for a future program of record.”
The Bell V-280 Valor’s Army-centric design boasts a number of unmatched capabilities and transformational features including:
Speed: 280 KTAS cruise speed
Combat range: 500-800nm
Strategically Self-Deployable – 2100nm Range
Non-rotating, fixed engines
Triple redundant fly-by-wire flight control system
Conventional, retractable landing gear
Two 6’ wide large side doors for ease of ingress/egress
Suitable down wash
Significantly smaller logistical footprint compared to other aircraft
“Bell Helicopter is leading the development of next-generation tiltrotor technology, because it’s the best technology for future vertical lift. The U.S. Army’s JMR/TD Operational Effectiveness Analysis Report stated that advantages in speed and fuel efficiency made the tiltrotor the most operationally effective concept aircraft,” said Snyder. “Based on a strong foundation of 55 years of tiltrotor experience, including combat-proven platforms, Bell Helicopter has created the ultimate solution for the Army’s FVL needs.”
Bell Helicopter is the world’s premier tiltrotor expert ranging from first generation XV-3 and XV-15, to the second generation 609 civil tiltrotor and the combat-proven V-22 Osprey. Backed by unmatched experience, Bell Helicopter is building a team of premier aerospace leaders, the best engineering resources and industrial capabilities in the industry to meet the U.S. Army’s needs.
About Bell Helicopter
Bell Helicopter, a wholly owned subsidiary of Textron Inc., is an industry-leading producer of commercial and military, manned and unmanned vertical-lift aircraft and the pioneer of the revolutionary tiltrotor aircraft. Globally recognized for world-class customer service, innovation and superior quality, Bell’s global workforce serves customers flying Bell aircraft in more than 120 countries.
About Textron Inc.
Textron Inc. is a multi-industry company that leverages its global network of aircraft, defense, industrial and finance businesses to provide customers with innovative solutions and services. Textron is known around the world for its powerful brands such as Bell Helicopter, Cessna Aircraft Company, Jacobsen, Kautex, Lycoming, E-Z-GO, Greenlee, and Textron Systems.
Bell launches V-280 tiltrotor concept at Quad-A
- HAI Board of Directors Update
- Mountain Village Town Council Approves Telluride Medical Center helipad
- CommLab enrolling May and June courses
- Bell Helicopter Delivers Bell 412EPI to Chongqing General Aviation
- Tillamook is Oregon Lifeguard’s newest base
- Hobart City Council to assess proposal for new helipad at redeveloped RHH
- Da Nang launches helicopter tours
- Wisk Air unveils new $4M helicopter
- Queensland Premier commits to funding CareFlight until 2019
- Bristow SAR criticised by Cairngorm Mountain Rescue
- North Pole Investments Signs for One AW139 and One AW189
- 7 Safety Tips That Every Helicopter Pilot Needs to Follow
- All Metal MS completes custom Pitch Adjustment Tool for USCG MH-60
- EASA approves 270 pound increase for MD Explorer
- Vector Aerospace receives Airbus Helicopters Service Centre Approval
- Kelowna Flightcraft evolves into KF Aerospace
- PZL Swidnik issues statement regarding Polish military selection
- Shell Australia launches landmark SAR service
- Sikorsky sells Eclipse Aerospace stake – is PZL-Mielec next?
- Rock Around The Copters For Museums At Night 2015