Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. company (NYSE: TXT), revealed today the Bell V-280 ValorTM, its offering for the Joint Multi Role/Future Vertical Lift (FVL) Technology Demonstrator (JMR/TD), at the 2013 Army Aviation Association of America’s (AAAA) Annual Professional Forum and Exposition in Fort Worth.
“The introduction of the Bell V-280 Valor underscores our commitment to our military customers. The Bell V-280’s unmatched capabilities in speed, range and payload, and its operational agility combine to deliver the best value for the U.S Army,” said John Garrison, president and CEO at Bell Helicopter. “This aircraft is the most advanced and operationally effective vertical lift solution, providing the Warfighter a decisive advantage. The name itself makes an important statement of its own: V representing vertical lift, 280 representing its unmatched speed, and Valor as a tribute to the service men and women who approach their jobs with valor every day.”
The Bell V-280 Valor, Bell Helicopter’s third generation tiltrotor, offers the U.S. Army the highest levels of maturity and technical readiness. With its U.S. Army-centric design, the Bell V-280 has the capacity to perform a multitude of missions with unparalleled speed and agility. The Bell V-280’s clean sheet design reduces complexity compared to previous generation tiltrotors, with fewer parts, as well as non-rotating, fixed engines. The Valor delivers the best value in procurement, operations and support, and force structure, providing increased maintainability, component reliability and systems designed to reduce operational and support costs.
“The Bell V-280 is a combat multiplier with a cruise speed of 280 knots and combat range of up to 800 nautical miles. Tiltrotor is the only vertical lift platform that can rapidly self-deploy to any theater,” said Mitch Snyder, executive vice-president for military programs at Bell Helicopter. “And our technology demonstrator is a true medium class aircraft accommodating a crew of four and 11 troops, which translates to the highest level of certainty for a future program of record.”
The Bell V-280 Valor’s Army-centric design boasts a number of unmatched capabilities and transformational features including:
Speed: 280 KTAS cruise speed
Combat range: 500-800nm
Strategically Self-Deployable – 2100nm Range
Non-rotating, fixed engines
Triple redundant fly-by-wire flight control system
Conventional, retractable landing gear
Two 6’ wide large side doors for ease of ingress/egress
Suitable down wash
Significantly smaller logistical footprint compared to other aircraft
“Bell Helicopter is leading the development of next-generation tiltrotor technology, because it’s the best technology for future vertical lift. The U.S. Army’s JMR/TD Operational Effectiveness Analysis Report stated that advantages in speed and fuel efficiency made the tiltrotor the most operationally effective concept aircraft,” said Snyder. “Based on a strong foundation of 55 years of tiltrotor experience, including combat-proven platforms, Bell Helicopter has created the ultimate solution for the Army’s FVL needs.”
Bell Helicopter is the world’s premier tiltrotor expert ranging from first generation XV-3 and XV-15, to the second generation 609 civil tiltrotor and the combat-proven V-22 Osprey. Backed by unmatched experience, Bell Helicopter is building a team of premier aerospace leaders, the best engineering resources and industrial capabilities in the industry to meet the U.S. Army’s needs.
About Bell Helicopter
Bell Helicopter, a wholly owned subsidiary of Textron Inc., is an industry-leading producer of commercial and military, manned and unmanned vertical-lift aircraft and the pioneer of the revolutionary tiltrotor aircraft. Globally recognized for world-class customer service, innovation and superior quality, Bell’s global workforce serves customers flying Bell aircraft in more than 120 countries.
About Textron Inc.
Textron Inc. is a multi-industry company that leverages its global network of aircraft, defense, industrial and finance businesses to provide customers with innovative solutions and services. Textron is known around the world for its powerful brands such as Bell Helicopter, Cessna Aircraft Company, Jacobsen, Kautex, Lycoming, E-Z-GO, Greenlee, and Textron Systems.
- Russia overcomes import dependence on helicopter engines
- ASU Obtains FAA Aviation Safety Inspector Training Contract
- Australian distributor appointed for Helifire Monsoon Buckets
- American Society of Appraisers appoints International VP
- Bristow Group appoints new Regional Director Americas
- Kratos win $9.4M Heli Maintenance Training Systems contract
- CH-47 Chinook Rear Crew Trainer reaches milestone
- HAI mourns former chairman
- Waypoint places two new S-92s
- Sikorsky factory in Poland completes prototype Turkish Utility Helicopter
- CH-53K King Stallion Achieves 27,000 Pound External Lift
- Busy Babcock create Aberdeen space by moving out three Super Pumas
- UK – Elite Helicopters to open second base
- Cotswold Helicopter Centre and Gama Aviation name Fairoaks base manager
- Indonesian Air Force grounds Super Pumas
- First Photo – AW169 for Lincs Notts Air Ambulance in UK
- Rega becomes first European helicopter operator certified by CAMTS
- V-22 being tested as fixed-wing replacement for US Navy vertrep work
- STARS now carries blood for life-saving transfusions
- Singapore puts military order on ice after EC225 accident