Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. today announced that the S-76D™ helicopter has been awarded Type Certification by Mexico’s civil aviation authority, the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil (DGAC). Sikorsky Aircraft is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
The S-76D helicopter is the newest product from Sikorsky Aircraft. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) awarded Type Certification of the S-76D model in October 2012, and the helicopter continues its envelope expansion as the first models move through final modifications for customer deliveries in 2013.
“Mexico is a growing market for Sikorsky. We have quintupled the total number of Sikorsky helicopters in the military, paramilitary, and commercial markets there in the last five years, and this co-validation of the S-76D helicopter by the Mexican DGAC, paves the way for further growth of our commercial business there,” said Carey Bond, President of Sikorsky Global Helicopters. “As PEMEX expands its offshore oil exploration, we are confident that the fleet of S-76D helicopters servicing this work will grow proportionately.”
At the Heli-Expo industry trade show in early March, Sikorsky announced the signing of a contract with ASESA (Aeroservicios Especializados, S.A. de C.V.), a Mexican helicopter service provider, for the purchase of six S-76D™ helicopters to serve the offshore oil transport mission. The sale marks the first time ASESA has purchased a new Sikorsky helicopter, and the first sale of an S-76D™ helicopter into Mexico. ASESA is scheduled to receive the first S-76D helicopter into service later this year, with the additional five aircraft set to enter service in 2014.
Since it received FAA Type Certification, the S-76D helicopter has attracted customers across all mission segments and customer regions. Among the new S-76D helicopter customers are Milestone Aviation Group, China’s Ministry of Transport’s Rescue and Salvage Bureau, Japan Coast Guard, Arkansas Children’s Hospital, and Bristow Group.
Designed for safety, reliability and efficiency, the S-76D helicopter’s standard equipment features are all-composite, flaw-tolerant main rotor blades; an advanced THALES integrated avionics system and autopilot; health and usage monitoring system, and active vibration control. The S-76D is powered by Pratt & Whitney Canada’s compact and fuel-efficient PW210S, which delivers the best in class power-to-weight ratio and fuel burn with excellent payload and range benefits. Rotor Ice Protection System for all-weather capability will be available as an option.
Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., provides a broad range of high technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.
- UK Aviation Services becomes a Sikorsky S76 Customer Support Center
- JSSI expands S76 coverage
- Crestwood selected as Sikorsky Supplier of the Year
- Canada certifies DAC for Esterline CMA-6800 Display in S76
- 25-May-17 VT-CMM Sikorsky S76C++ Nilanga, India
- CHC Brazil Opens New Hangar in Macaé
- Sikorsky plans Customer Support Centre in Thailand
- Sikorsky Recognizes Helijet for 30 Years of Safe S-76 Flight Operations
- Possible Stabilization for Oil and Gas Sector
- Canadian Helicopters renews Nova Scotia EMS contract
- Governor Cuomo Helicopter Request Denied
- Helijet extends flights between Nanaimo and Vancouver
- Sikorsky Helicopter Maintenance Trainer Advances Engineering Program
- Associated Aircraft Group expands offerings in the Northeast
- First Sikorsky S76D arrives in Europe
- Nova Scotia EMS Tender Decision on Hold
- Canadian operator buys Sikorsky S-76D
- JSSI increases helicopter coverage
- AAG donates flights to Patient AirLift Services
- Coastal Helicopters to serve Burning Man 2016 festival