In an email addressed to PHPA Members, Board member Edward Story aimed to encourage PHPA members to volunteer for their Working Groups. He reminded members that there have been two major meetings that the PHPA has had with the Los Angeles Area Helicopter Noise Coalition (“LAAHNC”) in 2013, including one in February 12 at the VNY (Van Nuys Airport) FlyAway facility, and the second and most recent meeting was September 18th also at VNY. At the second meeting there were 34 attendees including 4 from Congress Members’ offices, 1 from Senator Feinstein’s office, 9 from the FAA (of which 3 flew in from Washington D.C.), about 10 from the various HOAs (LAAHNC members) and 9 of us from the helicopter industry.
The PHPA has been working with the LAAHNC to bring about a more factual basis upon which to make decisions regarding helicopter noise. This will be via a complaint compilation system. That effort is already well under way and we are seeking financing to put the system in place. Out of the most recent meeting with the LAAHNC – September 18th – there were four “working groups” identified. Please take a look at the four working groups below for the topics we are working on with the LAAHNC. PHPA is seeking volunteers for these working groups – with just six weeks left before the next meeting with LAAHNC, scheduled for December 4th.
With the most important need for volunteers first, here are the four working groups in PHPA priority order
- PHPA needs a representative on the Routes Working Group (which also appears to be the most “popular” one so far).
- They also need someone on the Outreach Working Group – as outreach will likely become as much as anything a function of PHPA. (We’ve proposed both a PHPA and an FAA approach to outreach.)
- The Best Practices Working Group is likely a “mission statement” type-making group. ALthough lower priority, PHPA says they should have someone there, too; although this will be couched in broad terms it is important to have its substance and phrasing as precise and as functionally useful as possible.
- PHPA has already put in a lot of time on the Noise Complaint System over the months since the initial February 12th meeting at the VNY FlyAway facility. The system has been selected and we have a few funding initiatives underway. The greatest need is on the other three working groups; that said, if there is anyone interested in working on funding this system, please let us know and you are welcome to join the working group.
ROUTES WORKING GROUP – Develop potential route modifications for (1) coastal, (2) Robinson, and (3) Cahuenga Pass routes
George Abrahams, LAAHNC
Richard Root, LAAHNC
Mike Savidan, LAAHNC
Gerry Hans, LAAHNC
Chuck Street, LAAHOA
BEST PRACTICES WORKING GROUP — Develop best practices
Dave Garfinkle, LAAHNC
OUTREACH WORKING GROUP — Develop best methods for pilot outreach
None so far
NOISE COMPLAINT SYSTEM WORKING GROUP — Find best funding route for system
Bob Anderson, LAAHNC
Wayne Williams, LAAHNC
- Spectrum Aeromed Completes Production Amendment
- AUTOFLUG releases new options for passenger transport
- Metro continues to improve the MetroAlert app
- DynaVibe Track and Balance System gains Robinson acceptance
- HeliRussia and Show Observer renew partnership
- AHS Announces 2018 Group Award Winners
- Rolls-Royce awarded $31M contract for procurement of 14 AE1107C engines for V-22 Ospreys
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance break-in new helipad
- AHS International Announces 2018 Individual Award Recipients
- New Research on the Global Military Helicopter MRO Market
- New ultralight Micron helicopter to be on display at HeliRussia 2018
- Aspen Avionics and Sensurion Aerospace Team Up
- Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics Director Joins AEA Board
- Bell awarded $10M contract for Procurement of 3 B407 Airframes
- Sacramento PD Becomes First Law Enforcement Agency to Operate Bell 505
- US Air Force delivers new Black Hawks to 12th CAB
- CAE wins contract to provide Qatar Emiri Air Force with comprehensive NH90 training solution
- HMLA-367 bids farewell to AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters
- Canadian AvGas supply problem partly resolved
- First show of the new Russian light helicopter to take place at HeliRussia 2018