A Robinson R66 is being used in Colombia as a pediatric air ambulance. It is flying alongside Westwind 1124A and Learjet 31 jets with Fundacion Cardiovascular de Colombia (FCV).
Doctors at FCV are using the R66 to reach pediatric patients in remote areas. The back seat of the R66 has been replaced with a bench, an incubator and other medical equipment in accordance with FAA “Form 337″ rules. A typical flight of one hour replaces a ground transportation trip of four to nine hours, which for some infants was just too long.
The whole program was led by the hospital’s CEO Dr. Victor Raul Castillo Mantilla, who had been looking at helicopter solutions and previously ruled the idea out on cost grounds. The launch of the R66 gave him a new option with purchase and operating costs in a range that the hospital was able to consider. The power of the R66 was another key consideration due to the hospital’s location in Bucaramanga, a city at 3100 feet (945m) elevation in the Colombian Andes.
The program’s chief pilot is Jaime Lozano, a former Colombian Army pilot. Lozano has thirteen years of experience in larger turbines and was initially hesitant about flying the R66. Over fifty missions for the pediatric air ambulance program have been completed in the last 11 months.
Ben Haverdee – HeliHub.com
- FAA Certifies Floats for R66 Turbine
- Dart R66 cargo hook: The First on the market
- Practical Dart Products for the R66
- First R66 arrives in Italy
- Switzerland – MountainFlyers to add Robinson R66
- Robinson R66 Safety Seminar Kicks Off in Auckland
- Private heliport opens near Oak Ridge North
- Aeronautical Accessories to distribute Helitowcart BearPaws for Robinson and Airbus models
- Only two helicopter manufacturers at NBAA Convention
- Oceania Aviation Hosting Robinson Seminar in Queenstown
- Cool City Avionics Receives FAA TSO for Autopilot Family
- Robinson deliveries grind to a halt in China
- Four Russian pilots plan 30,000NM flight in two R66s
- 20-Aug-14 VH-JRX Robinson R66 Giru, Australia
- Rotortec prepares first Swiss R66 for Fuchs Helikopter
- Fuchs Helikopter to be first Swiss R66 operator
- R66 production slows, pushing lead time to six months
- New Zealand CAA invites Robinson for Safety Seminars
- 28-Jun-14 RA-1588G Robinson R66 Temnolesskaya, Russia (4F)
- Guidance Aviation support Girl Scouts Discover Aviation Camp again