A Robinson R66 is being used in Colombia as a pediatric air ambulance. It is flying alongside Westwind 1124A and Learjet 31 jets with Fundacion Cardiovascular de Colombia (FCV).
Doctors at FCV are using the R66 to reach pediatric patients in remote areas. The back seat of the R66 has been replaced with a bench, an incubator and other medical equipment in accordance with FAA “Form 337″ rules. A typical flight of one hour replaces a ground transportation trip of four to nine hours, which for some infants was just too long.
The whole program was led by the hospital’s CEO Dr. Victor Raul Castillo Mantilla, who had been looking at helicopter solutions and previously ruled the idea out on cost grounds. The launch of the R66 gave him a new option with purchase and operating costs in a range that the hospital was able to consider. The power of the R66 was another key consideration due to the hospital’s location in Bucaramanga, a city at 3100 feet (945m) elevation in the Colombian Andes.
The program’s chief pilot is Jaime Lozano, a former Colombian Army pilot. Lozano has thirteen years of experience in larger turbines and was initially hesitant about flying the R66. Over fifty missions for the pediatric air ambulance program have been completed in the last 11 months.
Ben Haverdee – HeliHub.com
R66 being used in EMS role in Colombia
- FAA and EASA approve Dart R66 cargo hook
- Vanuatu / Cyclone Pam – Garden City Helicopters to the rescue
- Robinson Doing Well Despite the Numbers
- Robinson signs for 1,000 Rolls-Royce RR300 engines
- Guidance Aviation Exhibiting at HAI’s Helicopter Career Fair
- Robinson production drops by 37% in 2014
- UK – HQ Aviation add second R66
- 20-Jan-15 RA-06205 Robinson R66 Tobeler, Russia
- Robinson Adds Garmin G500H and Autopilot to R66 Options
- Precision Flight Controls Partners with Ryan Aerospace to Develop Helicopter Simulators
- Garmin G500H Glass Panels Installed in Guidance Aviation fleet
- HAI Announces Winners of the Salute to Excellence Awards
- 22-Dec-14 N64HF Robinson R66 Henniker, US-New Hampshire
- FAA Certifies Floats for R66 Turbine
- Dart R66 cargo hook: The First on the market
- Practical Dart Products for the R66
- First R66 arrives in Italy
- Switzerland – MountainFlyers to add Robinson R66
- Robinson R66 Safety Seminar Kicks Off in Auckland
- Private heliport opens near Oak Ridge North