The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare is celebrating its 25th Anniversary in 2014, and to kick-start its year of celebrations it has unveiled an exhibition that charts another important Anniversary in the world of helicopter aviation.
“The First Helicopter Rescue” tells the tale of the daring rescue mission that took place 60 years ago in April 1944 deep in the jungles of Burma during World War Two. An audio soundtrack explains to visitors the dramatic events that unfolded that day as Lt Carter Harmon airlifted wounded British soldiers to safety from behind Japanese lines. Information boards describe the background of the rescue and the famous pilot involved, as well as the history of the helicopter used in the rescue, the Sikorsky R-4.
The entire display is set in a tropical themed environment complete with bamboo huts, original artwork and the sounds of the Burmese Jungle.
“We wanted to create a really atmospheric environment for this display” said Museum Assistant Manager Shaly Dee, “both to add authenticity to the subject and to really appeal to the imaginations of our younger visitors.”
Alongside the display, volunteers have been busy preparing a new Children’s Activity Room complete with Helicopter Story Books, Educational Toys and fun activity sheets to enhance the experience of younger visitors to the museum during its Anniversary year.
Throughout the year the museum will be hosting a wide range of celebratory events including an Open Cockpit Festival and World of Flight Fun Day.
For further details please visit www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk.
- Spectrum Aeromed Completes Production Amendment
- AUTOFLUG releases new options for passenger transport
- Metro continues to improve the MetroAlert app
- DynaVibe Track and Balance System gains Robinson acceptance
- HeliRussia and Show Observer renew partnership
- AHS Announces 2018 Group Award Winners
- Rolls-Royce awarded $31M contract for procurement of 14 AE1107C engines for V-22 Ospreys
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance break-in new helipad
- AHS International Announces 2018 Individual Award Recipients
- New Research on the Global Military Helicopter MRO Market
- New ultralight Micron helicopter to be on display at HeliRussia 2018
- Aspen Avionics and Sensurion Aerospace Team Up
- Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics Director Joins AEA Board
- Bell awarded $10M contract for Procurement of 3 B407 Airframes
- Sacramento PD Becomes First Law Enforcement Agency to Operate Bell 505
- US Air Force delivers new Black Hawks to 12th CAB
- CAE wins contract to provide Qatar Emiri Air Force with comprehensive NH90 training solution
- HMLA-367 bids farewell to AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters
- Canadian AvGas supply problem partly resolved
- First show of the new Russian light helicopter to take place at HeliRussia 2018