The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare is celebrating its 25th Anniversary in 2014, and to kick-start its year of celebrations it has unveiled an exhibition that charts another important Anniversary in the world of helicopter aviation.
“The First Helicopter Rescue” tells the tale of the daring rescue mission that took place 60 years ago in April 1944 deep in the jungles of Burma during World War Two. An audio soundtrack explains to visitors the dramatic events that unfolded that day as Lt Carter Harmon airlifted wounded British soldiers to safety from behind Japanese lines. Information boards describe the background of the rescue and the famous pilot involved, as well as the history of the helicopter used in the rescue, the Sikorsky R-4.
The entire display is set in a tropical themed environment complete with bamboo huts, original artwork and the sounds of the Burmese Jungle.
“We wanted to create a really atmospheric environment for this display” said Museum Assistant Manager Shaly Dee, “both to add authenticity to the subject and to really appeal to the imaginations of our younger visitors.”
Alongside the display, volunteers have been busy preparing a new Children’s Activity Room complete with Helicopter Story Books, Educational Toys and fun activity sheets to enhance the experience of younger visitors to the museum during its Anniversary year.
Throughout the year the museum will be hosting a wide range of celebratory events including an Open Cockpit Festival and World of Flight Fun Day.
For further details please visit www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk.
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills