The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare is celebrating its 25th Anniversary in 2014, and to kick-start its year of celebrations it has unveiled an exhibition that charts another important Anniversary in the world of helicopter aviation.
“The First Helicopter Rescue” tells the tale of the daring rescue mission that took place 60 years ago in April 1944 deep in the jungles of Burma during World War Two. An audio soundtrack explains to visitors the dramatic events that unfolded that day as Lt Carter Harmon airlifted wounded British soldiers to safety from behind Japanese lines. Information boards describe the background of the rescue and the famous pilot involved, as well as the history of the helicopter used in the rescue, the Sikorsky R-4.
The entire display is set in a tropical themed environment complete with bamboo huts, original artwork and the sounds of the Burmese Jungle.
“We wanted to create a really atmospheric environment for this display” said Museum Assistant Manager Shaly Dee, “both to add authenticity to the subject and to really appeal to the imaginations of our younger visitors.”
Alongside the display, volunteers have been busy preparing a new Children’s Activity Room complete with Helicopter Story Books, Educational Toys and fun activity sheets to enhance the experience of younger visitors to the museum during its Anniversary year.
Throughout the year the museum will be hosting a wide range of celebratory events including an Open Cockpit Festival and World of Flight Fun Day.
For further details please visit www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk.
- Boeing awarded $181M contract for Procurement of 156 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters
- Bell and SUBARU announce their collaboration
- First H160 pre-assembled rear fuselage is plug and play ready
- Safran renews Pattonair contract
- Japan Coast Guard signs HCare Smart for its H225 fleet
- Aeronautical Accessories Focused on Expanding Bell 505 Accessory Offerings
- CAAS, EASA and Airbus collaborate
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd