The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare is celebrating its 25th Anniversary in 2014, and to kick-start its year of celebrations it has unveiled an exhibition that charts another important Anniversary in the world of helicopter aviation.
“The First Helicopter Rescue” tells the tale of the daring rescue mission that took place 60 years ago in April 1944 deep in the jungles of Burma during World War Two. An audio soundtrack explains to visitors the dramatic events that unfolded that day as Lt Carter Harmon airlifted wounded British soldiers to safety from behind Japanese lines. Information boards describe the background of the rescue and the famous pilot involved, as well as the history of the helicopter used in the rescue, the Sikorsky R-4.
The entire display is set in a tropical themed environment complete with bamboo huts, original artwork and the sounds of the Burmese Jungle.
“We wanted to create a really atmospheric environment for this display” said Museum Assistant Manager Shaly Dee, “both to add authenticity to the subject and to really appeal to the imaginations of our younger visitors.”
Alongside the display, volunteers have been busy preparing a new Children’s Activity Room complete with Helicopter Story Books, Educational Toys and fun activity sheets to enhance the experience of younger visitors to the museum during its Anniversary year.
Throughout the year the museum will be hosting a wide range of celebratory events including an Open Cockpit Festival and World of Flight Fun Day.
For further details please visit www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk.
- Helitech to change name as expo adapts to changing market
- Kopter announces new distributor for the Nordic countries
- CHC Australia Announces Australian Apprentices
- Competitive boost and enhanced operational capabilities for H145
- MRO software providers team up with Airbus
- SAF expands fleet
- Bell launches certified training facilities
- Waypoint Delivers One H145 Helicopter to Los Andes
- Leonardo expands helicopter maintenance and repair services in Europe
- EuroTec Gains Approval for EC130/H130 Main Battery Kit
- DRF Luftrettung to expand its H145 fleet
- New extended Support-By-the-Hour range
- Royal Dutch Touring Club ANWB and Airbus sign for six H135s
- Safran introduces brand-new customer portal
- Helitrans expands H125 fleet
- Specialist Aviation Services ranked ‘Excellent’
- Airbus racer high-speed demonstrator passes preliminary design review milestone
- Kopter announces a first firm order with SAS from Malaysia
- Nearly 550 rotorcraft now sharing data with Airbus
- Heli-One to Install Search and Rescue Cabin Configuration for H225s