The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
USHST Launches Mobile App Aimed at Helicopter Accident Prevention
- The HeliHub.com Interview – Daniele Romiti, CEO AgustaWestland
- SAAM offers reduced insurance premiums for operators who choose Helisim
- North Flight Data Systems receives Canadian Validation for AS350 and EC130 installation March 2nd, 2015
- Servicios Aéreos de los Andes just signed for 3 H125s for utility work in Peru
- Bell and Turbomeca to Offer Service By The Hour Program on Bell 505
- Sundance Helicopters Announces Implementation of Ramco Aviation Software
- Garmin Pilot Optimizes Charts and Maps for Helicopter Operators
- Garmin avionics are abundant!
- New helicopter solutions from Garmin
- Meet radar altimeter requirements with Garmin
- Global Helicopters Market Set to Cross USD37 Billion by 2019, Reports TechSci Research
- Airbus Helicopters’ HCare brings a new dynamic in customer service
- Heliconia appointed as AgustaWestland Authorized Service Centre in Morocco
- LCI to lease second new AgustaWestland AW139 to HeliService
- Turbomeca signs a Support By the Hour contract with DRF Luftrettung
- Turbomeca customers confirm confidence in Support-by-the-Hour contract model
- Norsk luftambulanse orders three Airbus Helicopters H135s
- Airbus Helicopters announces updated release of its H225 Flight Crew Operating Manual
- Bell and Hughes Aerospace Align to Offer Performance Based Navigation in China
- FlightSafety is first training provider to meet FAA Safety Management System requirements