The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Australia – State Government pledges helipad for Monash Children’s Hospital
- Plans scrapped for helipad in Ho Chi Min City
- AUVSI names new President/CEO
- California National Guard receives first of 12 CH-47F Chinooks
- Strategic Factor Analysis Summary of the big six helicopter manufacturers
- Kaman to Support the Upgrade of SH-2G Super Seasprites for Peru
- Rescue helicopters go high-tech thanks to partnership
- UK – The Association of Air Ambulances announces award winners
- Summit Aviation adds new Bell Helicopter Authorization
- Mercy Air Mesquite branch receives new helicopter
- Edmonton police compromise on $3M helicopter
- Practical Dart Products for the R66
- Dyfed-Powys Police helicopter to stay in the sky
- UK – 40 pilot whales herded by police helicopter
- How did four R44s reach Iran?
- Quilcene emergency helicopter landing zone temporarily changed
- Becker Helicopter Services is a night-vision training world leader
- Bell delivers last of six 407GXs to Pennsylvania State Police
- Are Cardinal Helicopter Serivces operating Trump’s UK S76?
- 19,000th image filed in HeliHub.com gallery