The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Negotiations for Stat MedEvac Housing at Clearfield-Lawrence Airport
- Sanford AirMed Stationed at Fargo Hospital
- Tender Issued for EMS Helicopter to Support Baltic Wind Farms
- CoxHealth Expands Air Medical Fleet
- East Anglian Air Ambulance says goodbye to one of its founding members
- Frasca Sells H125 Flight Simulator to Aero Asahi
- BAT Trainer Modernizes Helicopter Simulator Flying
- FAA to Hold Airspace Workshops in Las Vegas
- DART Aerospace to exhibit at FAMEX 2017
- Heritage Aviation expands its fleet with two new Airbus H130 helicopters
- FAA approves Onboard Systems MD500 Hooks with Surefire Release
- The Helicopter Museum to dispose of A109 and B206 airframes in Jumble Sale
- Esterline showcases ADS-B Annunciators with fast delivery
- Jonathan Jenkins appointed new CEO of London’s Air Ambulance
- Héli-Union Opens a New Branch in Pau, France
- US Navy awards Elbit $150M MH-60S fleet helmet contract
- McMahon Helicopter Services appointed distributor for MD Helicopters
- RUAG integrates pilot assistance and safety solution on Swiss AF EC635 fleet
- Counterdrug MH-65 Unit Marks 500th Drug Interdiction
- Aselsan Looks to Upgrade 10,000 Mi-series Helicopters