The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Bell 505 Cargo Hook Receives FAA Certification
- Magellan Jet launches 10-hour S76 card with AAG
- Kopter receives Aerosuisse Award
- Life Flight Network Launches New App for Hospitals and Emergency Responders
- Bell and Dart deliver first 505 floats to Japan Coast Guard
- VIH Aerospace Renews its CSF With Bell Helicopters
- Leonardo Congratulates Royal Canadian Air Force
- Garmin® introduces the G3000H integrated flight deck
- HeliRussia 2018 Update
- Collier County FL to buy new helicopter
- Norwegian operator Heli-Team celebrates 30 years
- New EMS Helipad being built at Columbus TX
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance starts work on new base
- BRS Aerospace Addressing Urban eVTOL Parachute Recovery Systems
- IMT Vislink and K2 Unmanned Systems launch law enforcement drone
- Med-Trans Opens New AeroCare Base
- LA Tour Company Announces New Tour Packages For Summer
- Sikorsky and Canada’s DND Receive AHS International Award
- AACUS Makes First Operational Cargo Delivery to US Marines
- Life Link III Opens New 24/7 Air Medical Helicopter Base in Wisconsin