The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Sikorsky threatens to pull out of defence tender
- New Director of Aviation Safety
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice Completes First Stage of CHC Investment With Convertible Preferred Purchase
- Russia completes Mi-17V-5 supplies to Afghanistan
- MoU with Boeing
- Western Power Distribution Selects Airbus Helicopters’ EC135 P2
- Private heliport opens near Oak Ridge North
- AgustaWestland prepare for 7,000kg gross weight AW139
- Curtiss-Wright wins UH-60V Cockpit Digitization Upgrade contract
- Bell to Showcase the Latest in Armed Rotorcraft at Expodefensa
- New York Army National Guard Aviators Move Up to CH-47 Foxtrot Model
- SD National Guard fielding new medevac helicopters
- Era Group Inc. Announces Organizational Realignment
- Aiut Alpin Dolomites receives first EC135 T3/P3
- Aerial Firefighters Winding Down An Active Western Wildfire Season
- Bristow Group To Present At The Jefferies 2014 Global Energy Conference
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance launches Bell 429 to the community
- Helitech visitors down 55% from 2013 to 2014
- Helitech International delivers a successful Amsterdam debut
- Spanish Air Force celebrates 50,000 hours on S-76C fleet