The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Russia overcomes import dependence on helicopter engines
- ASU Obtains FAA Aviation Safety Inspector Training Contract
- Australian distributor appointed for Helifire Monsoon Buckets
- American Society of Appraisers appoints International VP
- Bristow Group appoints new Regional Director Americas
- Kratos win $9.4M Heli Maintenance Training Systems contract
- CH-47 Chinook Rear Crew Trainer reaches milestone
- HAI mourns former chairman
- Waypoint places two new S-92s
- Sikorsky factory in Poland completes prototype Turkish Utility Helicopter
- CH-53K King Stallion Achieves 27,000 Pound External Lift
- Busy Babcock create Aberdeen space by moving out three Super Pumas
- UK – Elite Helicopters to open second base
- Cotswold Helicopter Centre and Gama Aviation name Fairoaks base manager
- Indonesian Air Force grounds Super Pumas
- First Photo – AW169 for Lincs Notts Air Ambulance in UK
- Rega becomes first European helicopter operator certified by CAMTS
- V-22 being tested as fixed-wing replacement for US Navy vertrep work
- STARS now carries blood for life-saving transfusions
- Singapore puts military order on ice after EC225 accident