The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Activist Drone Shot Down at North Dakota Pipeline Site
- Progress for Valley Med Flight Hangar
- Leonardo confirms orders from Brazil for mulitiple AW169s
- Unmanned Aircraft Safety Team holds first meeting
- Lockheed Martin Announces FY2016 Q3 Earnings date
- HTC makes Metal Main Blades available for Bell 204, 205, UH-1
- CH-53K King Stallion Passes Initial Operational Testing
- Multi Year Navy Contract for Aspen
- New Helicopter Company for Lloydminster
- NHV opens new facilities in Aberdeen
- Australia – Milestone to Lease AW139 to LifeFlight
- McNally Invests in Genesys Aerosystems
- Robinson R44 Cadet sales are very disappointing
- U.S. Navy selects Leonardo for MQ-8C Fire Scout
- Starspeed Achieves Stage II IS-BAO Accreditation
- Caernarfon Coastguard Helicopter Reaches 500th SAR Mission
- Leonardo selects Helitune RT-TipTrak for AW169 and AW189
- RAMM Frameless Seat Cushions approved by Transport Canada
- LORD Corporation Receives FAA DER Approval
- Toll appointed by Leonardo to deliver AW139 simulator