The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Offshore Helicopter Leasing – an Existential Risk?
- Solo R22 pilot rescued after 32 hours on ice floe
- Australia accepts first EC135 for HATS training program
- HNZ appoints new VP/CFO
- NYSE warns CHC after share price dips below compliance level
- Air Methods tells markets it will miss Q2 revenue number
- Erickson announces date for FY2015 Q2 results
- Pawan Hans seeks guarantee from Odisha government
- Solo R22 round-the-world missing
- New dynamic testing method at Airbus brings helicopters to market quickly
- PerriQuest Unveils Solution to Aircraft Laser Attacks
- Devon Air Ambulance pilot retires after 23 years and over 7,000 missions
- LCI completes world’s first Islamic-structured PDP helicopter financing
- India plans purchase of 48 Mil Mi-8MTV-5
- Senator questions Army chief on Apache transfers
- Aspen Introduces Evolution Pro Plus Safety Package
- Aspen Avionics and L-3 Join Forces to Offer More ADS-B Options
- FAA certifies Latituide IONode FDM system for EC135
- McMurdo ELTs to be fitted to AVIC AC312 helicopters
- Bell delivers ARH mockup to Dunbar High School