The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Chile – Ecocopter prepares for new ENAP offshore contract
- Air Medical Group Holdings expands into India
- STARS CEO one of top 100 most powerful women in Canada
- Sikorsky given $46M to rework two VH-3D and one VH-60N
- Missouri – Ambulance board split on air ambulance policy
- Medical copter service returning to Green Valley area
- Sikorsky awarded $316M to upgrade H-60 weapon system
- CHC cancels rights issue as CD&R invests $100M more
- Era Group to present at Cowen Energy Conference
- Dogs abseiling from helicopters against rhino poaching
- Register Update – USA – week to 23 November 2014
- Helibras delivers fifth EC725 to Brazilian Armed Forces
- Ghana to buy Z-9 and Mi-17 helicopters
- UK Military Flying Training System – 3 bids received
- Argentina – Santa Fe Provincial Police pick A800 Trakkabeam for Bell 206
- Bell Wraps Up Successful Airshow China
- Helideck Analytics acquires Helideck Certification Agency
- 50th 429 delivered in Bell’s definition of Europe
- Memorial Hermann Life Flight Wins 2014 EMS Air Medical Service of the Year Award
- Praesidian Capital Europe finances acquisition of Helideck Certification Agency