The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Former Sikorsky president killed in Arizona warbird crash
- Register Update – Norway – January 2015
- New Director of Sales and Marketing at Sloane Helicopters
- Heli-One adds H225 MRO in Poland
- Pro Star Aviation Expedites Certification HTAWS on PHi Bell 407s
- Spectrum Aeromed CEO Appointed to North Dakota District Export Council
- Maverick Helicopters wins FAA Diamond award for fifth straight year
- Conklin & de Decker takes Operating Costs Seminar to Mexico
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance orders second H145
- Starspeed introduces two new team members
- HeliRussia to include the 4th Air Ambulance & MedEvac Conference
- Bristow wins two five-year Norwegian contracts
- North Myrtle Beach tour operator seeks court mediation
- Rooivalk Squadron honoured with Sword of Peace award
- Australia delivers UH-1 parts to Lebanese Army
- Los Alamos Medical Center now hosts Bell 407
- Register Update – United Kingdom – January 2016
- VIH Aerospace participates in Canadian Trade Delegation to Asia
- UK CAA to open exam centre in Trinidad & Tobago
- Donate to HFI silent auction before 8th February