The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note - if searching in Appstore, search on USHST - you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe....
- New Report: Air Methods – Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Now in black: DART’s ultra-resistant Floor Protectors
- DART’s new interference-proof Tail Rotor Pedal Lockout
- DART Tough Corrosion-Resistant Engine Mounts
- Enstrom Helicopter STC Approved for Aspen Display Retrofit
- Go Light – the new cockpit invention set to improve aviation safety?
- Georgia State Patrol Expands Bell Helicopter Fleet at ALEA 2014
- Bell Helicopter Selected by the San Diego County Sheriff’s Office for a Bell 407GX
- Garmin Pilot goes global
- Bristow Certified to Fly AgustaWestland AW189
- Phoenix Heli-Flight unveils new EC135T2e
- Kent, Surrey & Sussex Air Ambulance receive £75,000 donation
- Flight & Duty Tracker™ updates website; Continues to expand customer base
- Loss of situational awareness and control likely caused fatal 2013 Manitoba JetRanger accident
- UTair technicians are first to receive EC175 maintenance training
- Phoenix Heliparts expands online store with Timken replacement parts
- Advanced Helicopter Services to maintain Sacramento OH-58s
- Thales Helicopter Training Centre receives EASA qualification and starts operations
- ExecuJet Africa expands helicopter charter fleet
- Airbus Helicopters Inc partners with Precision Aviation Services and Government Capital Corp