The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note - if searching in Appstore, search on USHST - you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe....
- The MD 530G Demonstrates Extreme Firepower And Advanced Weapons Systems Capabilities
- AAR Airlift to Obtain Critical Engine & Component Support from Heli-One
- Night Vision Awards Presents Mark of Excellence Award and NIGHTCON Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Register Update – USA – week to 17 August 2014
- Nigerian Air Force acquiring two AW101 helicopters
- Mississippi DPS selects Cloud Cap Technology TASE 400HD for AS350B3e
- Spokane Sheriff expanding Air 1 program
- Excellence in Avionics Awards Have Launched
- First of Australia’s Landing Helicopter Dock starts final sea trials
- All Metal Announces The As350 Canopy for Aircraft Maintanance
- Gracetown joyflight helicopter vandalised
- Vietnam southern hub wants to have helipad at headquarters
- The Bell 525 Relentless Fly-by-Wire Technology Sets the New Standard in Commercial Helicopter Control
- L-3 Vertex awarded $13M modification to TH-57 support contract
- Poland says to speed up attack helicopter purchase due to Ukraine crisis
- Budgets, Not Tech, May Delay US Army’s Next Rotorcraft
- UK – Helipad upgrade at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital welcomed
- Australia – Mannum hospital helipad plans unclear
- Huey Helicopter Museum opens in Australia
- Basta Holdings and Heliflight Peru signs LOI for leasing JV