28 years after setting up a new absolute world speed record for helicopters that is still unbroken ,Westland Lynx G-LYNX at The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare has received a prestigious Engineering Heritage Award from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers(IMechE). Previous recipients have included Concorde,the Mallard locomotive and the Jaguar E- Type.
IMechE was originally established in 1847 as a professional engineering institution and introduced its Engineering Heritage Awards 30 years ago. Since then almost 100 awards have been presented nationwide. G-LYNX was the 99th recipient and the first rotary-wing aircraft to be given the award.
Presented by IMechE past president and Chairman of the Engineering Heritage Award Committee John Wood ,the citation recognises G-LYNX as a “remarkable example of British engineering and vision, and testament to the cutting edge modifications made to the helicopter that the world speed record still stands 28 years later”.The Award also recognises those people involved in making the 1986 record possible,the AgustaWestland apprentices who completed the restoration of the Lynx to its world speed record configuration in 2011 and the team at The Helicopter Museum who began the restoration process and continue to maintain the unique record holder in display condition.
Receiving the award for G-LYNX was The Helicopter Museum founder Elfan Ap Rees accompanied by AgustaWestland apprentices Brendan Burr and Benjamin Tooth. Also present was Trevor Egginton ,who piloted the helicopter on its record breaking run of 440.87 km/h (249.10 mph) over the 15 km course in1986.
- Boeing awarded $181M contract for Procurement of 156 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters
- Bell and SUBARU announce their collaboration
- First H160 pre-assembled rear fuselage is plug and play ready
- Safran renews Pattonair contract
- Japan Coast Guard signs HCare Smart for its H225 fleet
- Aeronautical Accessories Focused on Expanding Bell 505 Accessory Offerings
- CAAS, EASA and Airbus collaborate
- Boeing awarded $264M contract for MH-47 Support Services
- Magpas Air Ambulance selects AW169 to replace MD Explorer
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Bell 429 Celebrates over 330 000 hours of operation
- CAE launches CAE 700MR Series flight training device
- NH90 Sea Lion starts Qualification phase
- Airbus hands over Empire Test Pilot School H125 to QinetiQ
- MD Helicopters creates MDHI Flight Training Academy
- GVH awarded EASA STC for H135 Aeromedical System
- FAA approves all-glass cockpit for MD530F
- CNC Technologies selected to Deploy Airborne Mission Suites for Agency’s New Airbus H125
- Boeing Receives Contract for Four Special Operations Chinooks
- Bristow opens new SAR base at Lydd