28 years after setting up a new absolute world speed record for helicopters that is still unbroken ,Westland Lynx G-LYNX at The Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare has received a prestigious Engineering Heritage Award from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers(IMechE). Previous recipients have included Concorde,the Mallard locomotive and the Jaguar E- Type.
IMechE was originally established in 1847 as a professional engineering institution and introduced its Engineering Heritage Awards 30 years ago. Since then almost 100 awards have been presented nationwide. G-LYNX was the 99th recipient and the first rotary-wing aircraft to be given the award.
Presented by IMechE past president and Chairman of the Engineering Heritage Award Committee John Wood ,the citation recognises G-LYNX as a “remarkable example of British engineering and vision, and testament to the cutting edge modifications made to the helicopter that the world speed record still stands 28 years later”.The Award also recognises those people involved in making the 1986 record possible,the AgustaWestland apprentices who completed the restoration of the Lynx to its world speed record configuration in 2011 and the team at The Helicopter Museum who began the restoration process and continue to maintain the unique record holder in display condition.
Receiving the award for G-LYNX was The Helicopter Museum founder Elfan Ap Rees accompanied by AgustaWestland apprentices Brendan Burr and Benjamin Tooth. Also present was Trevor Egginton ,who piloted the helicopter on its record breaking run of 440.87 km/h (249.10 mph) over the 15 km course in1986.
- Spectrum Aeromed Completes Production Amendment
- AUTOFLUG releases new options for passenger transport
- Metro continues to improve the MetroAlert app
- DynaVibe Track and Balance System gains Robinson acceptance
- HeliRussia and Show Observer renew partnership
- AHS Announces 2018 Group Award Winners
- Rolls-Royce awarded $31M contract for procurement of 14 AE1107C engines for V-22 Ospreys
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance break-in new helipad
- AHS International Announces 2018 Individual Award Recipients
- New Research on the Global Military Helicopter MRO Market
- New ultralight Micron helicopter to be on display at HeliRussia 2018
- Aspen Avionics and Sensurion Aerospace Team Up
- Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics Director Joins AEA Board
- Bell awarded $10M contract for Procurement of 3 B407 Airframes
- Sacramento PD Becomes First Law Enforcement Agency to Operate Bell 505
- US Air Force delivers new Black Hawks to 12th CAB
- CAE wins contract to provide Qatar Emiri Air Force with comprehensive NH90 training solution
- HMLA-367 bids farewell to AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters
- Canadian AvGas supply problem partly resolved
- First show of the new Russian light helicopter to take place at HeliRussia 2018