A report issued by the University of Scranton says that only 8% of people keep their New Year resolutions, so what is the point of making them in the first place? The same report says that 38% of their sample population never make these resolutions, and perhaps they are the wise ones?
New Year Resolutions must be doomed to failure if only 8% are achieved, but what alternatives are there? Why do we make them? New Year Resolutions are made in the vain hope of improving some aspect of our lives, whether it’s something physical like our weight, getting rid of a bad habit or just something we want to do better than before or better than someone else.
So instead of trying to make resolutions, why not train yourself to be continuously on the lookout for ways to make improvements, and then follow through with the necessary actions. If you are not optimizing every aspect of what you do, why are you waiting for January to address it and then fail at it?
Here are some ideas aimed at business life
- switch off any alerts to do with emails – what an utter waste of time they are!
- check emails four times a day maximum, and set a target to reduce that to three and then two (perhaps by a year from now)
- put “down time” in your diary and NEVER double-book over it
- invest time in learning, keeping up with the industry (read HeliHub.com news perhaps?) and know your competition (do you read their Facebook pages and Twitter feeds?)
- save costs by outsourcing – whoever said that regular tasks cannot be done by someone you’ve never met in another country? It’s good practice to be able to explain a task to someone, so why not pay $7 per hour or less to have it achieved? (try Freelancer.com to start?)
- “We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in.” quote Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post
Instead of making resolutions, make a revolution in your work life!
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Sikorsky awarded $10M contract for Delivery of CH-53K spare parts and Labour
- Toll Helicopters Donates Engine to Aviation High School
- Edmonton news helicopter celebrates 10 years
- OSS wins two year AW109 EMS contract in Tamil Nadu
- Ontario City looks at EMS helipad location options
- Paradise Helicopters under threat from neighbours
- Bristow starts construction of new facility at Lydd SAR base
- Volocopter to carry out test flights in Dubai in Q4
- FAA employee union opposes ATC privatisation
- Airbus reveals Racer demonstrator developed from X3
- Marenco adds non-executive Director
- Airbus picks Salesforce CRM software
- CHC Announces New Contract with Quadrant Energy
- Spectrum Health celebrates 30 years of Aero Med
- Manatee County Sheriff bids for new helicopter
- Idaho operator Timberline Helicopters moving to new base
- Mount Isa EMS helicopter updated from B230 to BK117
- India moves more armed helicopters to Chinese border
- Safran and Thai Aviation Industries to support Royal Thai Armed Forces
- SaxonAir adds two AW109SP GrandNew helicopters to charter fleet