A report issued by the University of Scranton says that only 8% of people keep their New Year resolutions, so what is the point of making them in the first place? The same report says that 38% of their sample population never make these resolutions, and perhaps they are the wise ones?
New Year Resolutions must be doomed to failure if only 8% are achieved, but what alternatives are there? Why do we make them? New Year Resolutions are made in the vain hope of improving some aspect of our lives, whether it’s something physical like our weight, getting rid of a bad habit or just something we want to do better than before or better than someone else.
So instead of trying to make resolutions, why not train yourself to be continuously on the lookout for ways to make improvements, and then follow through with the necessary actions. If you are not optimizing every aspect of what you do, why are you waiting for January to address it and then fail at it?
Here are some ideas aimed at business life
- switch off any alerts to do with emails – what an utter waste of time they are!
- check emails four times a day maximum, and set a target to reduce that to three and then two (perhaps by a year from now)
- put “down time” in your diary and NEVER double-book over it
- invest time in learning, keeping up with the industry (read HeliHub.com news perhaps?) and know your competition (do you read their Facebook pages and Twitter feeds?)
- save costs by outsourcing – whoever said that regular tasks cannot be done by someone you’ve never met in another country? It’s good practice to be able to explain a task to someone, so why not pay $7 per hour or less to have it achieved? (try Freelancer.com to start?)
- “We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in.” quote Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post
Instead of making resolutions, make a revolution in your work life!
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Harris Awarded $94M contract for CV-22 radio components
- General Electric awarded $18M contract for UH-60 pipe exhausts
- Gozo hospital helicopter inquiry finds no fault
- Royal Saudi Naval Forces launches first MH-60R
- Northrop began flight tests for MQ-8C Fire Scout
- CHC Australia Awarded New Helicopter Services Contract
- Metro delivers H135 to Washington Hospital Center
- US Army conducts first operational test of UH60V Black Hawk
- First Flight turns 40
- Helicopter ambulance service soon in Tamil Nadu
- Black Hawk marks 40 years service and prepares for another 50
- CHC 14th Safety & Quality Summit Less than a Month Away
- Leonardo performs TH-119 avionics power
- Strategic Partnership Targets Global Robinson
- PhilJets appoints new CEO to lead expansion
- Mecaer Aviation Group wins STC approval for Bell 505 interior
- Top-level appointments at Coptersafety
- Era Group and Bel Air Aviation enter teaming agreement
- Avalex video equipment picked for WPD EC135 fleet upgrade
- ForeFlight Launches Trip Assistant Door-to-Door Flight And Fuel Stop Planner