A report issued by the University of Scranton says that only 8% of people keep their New Year resolutions, so what is the point of making them in the first place? The same report says that 38% of their sample population never make these resolutions, and perhaps they are the wise ones?
New Year Resolutions must be doomed to failure if only 8% are achieved, but what alternatives are there? Why do we make them? New Year Resolutions are made in the vain hope of improving some aspect of our lives, whether it’s something physical like our weight, getting rid of a bad habit or just something we want to do better than before or better than someone else.
So instead of trying to make resolutions, why not train yourself to be continuously on the lookout for ways to make improvements, and then follow through with the necessary actions. If you are not optimizing every aspect of what you do, why are you waiting for January to address it and then fail at it?
Here are some ideas aimed at business life
- switch off any alerts to do with emails – what an utter waste of time they are!
- check emails four times a day maximum, and set a target to reduce that to three and then two (perhaps by a year from now)
- put “down time” in your diary and NEVER double-book over it
- invest time in learning, keeping up with the industry (read HeliHub.com news perhaps?) and know your competition (do you read their Facebook pages and Twitter feeds?)
- save costs by outsourcing – whoever said that regular tasks cannot be done by someone you’ve never met in another country? It’s good practice to be able to explain a task to someone, so why not pay $7 per hour or less to have it achieved? (try Freelancer.com to start?)
- “We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in.” quote Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post
Instead of making resolutions, make a revolution in your work life!
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Sikorsky presents $28,000 to Patient AirLift Services
- HeliOffshore Southeast Asia group meets in Bangkok to review safety work
- HAI announces W.A. “Dub” Blessing Flight Instructor of the Year Award winner
- Airbus fly image processing system on H225 testbed
- Sikorsky Delivers Black Hawks to the LA County Fire Department
- HAI announces Airbus Golden Hour Award winner
- Airbus open new Le Bourget facility, including rotor blade production line
- Boeing to Modernize Six Netherlands CH-47F Chinooks
- HeliOffshore looks back on 2017’s enhancements of offshore safety
- Bell delivers 20th EMS configured B429
- Airbus Helicopters CEO to move to Commercial Aircraft division
- Arizona National Guard may lose last four Apaches
- Philippine Air Force to Acquire 24 Attack Helicopters
- Wiking Helikopter welcomes second H145 to Jade Weser Airport
- Rostec Signs an Agreement to Promote Helicopters in South-East Asia
- Aurora Demonstrates Fully Autonomous Helicopter
- Airbus promotes carbon content in colour scheme of third H160 prototype
- Falcon Aviation earns IS-BAH Accreditation
- Northland Rescue Helicopter and Fire and Emergency New Zealand Team Up
- South Korea conducts AH-64 missile drills