Dare County MedFlight, the air medical transport service for much of the Outer Banks region of North Carolina, has taken delivery of a new Airbus Helicopters H145 (formerly EC145 T2), which will be the first H145 operating in the U.S.
Dare County plans to place the new aircraft into service in July, following installation of the air medical transport interior by Metro Aviation. The H145 will replace a BK117, an earlier version of the H145/EC145 family of helicopters.
Dare County selected the H145 for its missions after an extensive review of available helicopters. Among the key factors that led Dare County to choose the H145 were its safety features, reduced maintenance and increased payload. “The H145 allows us to operate in a state-of-the-art aircraft with cutting edge safety features, such as the Helionix system and FADEC engines,” said Chad Jones, Director of Operations and chief pilot for Dare County. “We could not be happier with our choice of this aircraft.”
The H145’s new dual FADEC engines, combined with an upgraded main gear box, provide an unprecedented level of one-engine inoperative (OEI) performance, along with improved hover performance, both extremely important safety factors for emergency medical services operations.
Advanced and expansive mission capability and flexibility are provided by the H145 Helionix avionics system, which reduces pilot workload and enhances situational awareness for unprecedented flight safety levels. Meeting the latest international avionics standards, the Helionix suite incorporates a highly innovative alert and self-monitoring system. The large, unobstructed H145 cabin will enable MedFlight to expand its capabilities by providing services for disaster relief and rescue missions.
Based at Dare County Regional Airport in Manteo, MedFlight serves all 1,563 square miles of the county, which has a lengthy Atlantic coastline and attracts large numbers of tourists. MedFlight has a dedicated staff of five pilots, two mechanics and 11 flight paramedics.
Dare County MedFlight is recognized as an innovative pioneer in providing air medical transport services and represents the vision and commitment of the Dare County Board of Commissioners in providing emergency aid and transportation for residents and visitors. For more than 25 years, Dare County has been one of the few county-owned aeromedical operations in the entire nation.
More information on the H145 is available on the web at: www.airbushelicopters.com/EC145T2
About Airbus Helicopters Inc.
Airbus Helicopters Inc. is the U.S. affiliate of Airbus Helicopters, the largest helicopter manufacturer in the world, and a subsidiary of the Airbus Group. Airbus Helicopters Inc. is a manufacturer, markets, sells and supports the broadest range of civil and parapublic helicopters offered in the U.S. The product line represents the industry’s most cost-effective, technologically-advanced helicopters serving all markets and missions. The company’s headquarters and main facility are in Grand Prairie, Texas with a large manufacturing and production facility in Columbus, Miss.
- Falcon looks at expansion by exhibiting at first Kuwait Aviation Show
- Sundance Helicopters launches new Romantic flight packages
- Falcon Aviation Services wins Kuwait offshore contract
- Kong awarded patent for suspended load stabilisation system
- Airbus awarded patent for method of determining Helicopter ground speed
- HAL and Safran to set up engine facility in Goa
- First AW169 operational in Nordics goes live with Babcock
- Coroner cites need for better Police Helicopter in Western Australia
- New AW109 and AW139 service centre at Milan Linate Airport
- UK – Salford Royal Hospital to add helipad
- Haines Assembly backtracks on new heliski area
- Maverick Helicopters Expands Hawaiian Operations to Kauai
- Modernized Ka-27M enters service with Baltic Fleet
- Russian Air Force prepares for Ansat-U training from March
- Yorkshire Air Ambulance Wins National Award
- AECOM awarded $442 Million Fort Rucker training contract
- Panama receives two more AW139s
- Bristow Announces Fiscal Year 2018 Third Quarter Earnings
- Cornwall Air Ambulance flies 670 missions with two MD902s in 2017
- DEQ fines Columbia Helicopters