Part of Italy’s Finmeccanica, AgustaWestland has its main facilities in Italy, the UK, the USA and Poland, and operates globally through a number of subsidiaries, joint ventures and collaborative programmes with major aerospace and defence companies. AgustaWestland has over 12,850 employees worldwide and revenues of €4.37 billion.
AgustaWestland in the UK has a longstanding relationship with XPO Logistics to provide a flexible, cost effective logistics operation for the transportation of helicopter parts. In an extension of this relationship, XPO Logistics global forwarding teams will be responsible for transporting the eight Lynx helicopters to the UK for a phased upgrade programme.
The Brazilian Navy has tasked AgustaWestland with replacing engines, navigation systems, display consoles and mission avionics on the maritime helicopters. The programme will take place at the company’s manufacturing and maintenance facility in Yeovil, Somerset.
Upon completion of each upgrade, XPO Logistics will be responsible for returning the refurbished helicopters back to Brazil by air and sea freight solutions, using its expertise with over-dimensional cargoes to facilitate safe transportation. This will involve specialist handling equipment and bespoke protection throughout the journey.
In Brazil, the global forwarding business of XPO Logistics operates from locations in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and has a wealth of experience in Brazilian logistics, including complex customs regulations and naval procedures for export and import.
“XPO Logistics manages regular inbound and outbound movements of spare parts for us in Brazil, and has shipped helicopters to the UK on two previous occasions,” said Jim Joyce, Customer Service & Support at AgustaWestland. “Their supply chain expertise provides us with a trusted end-to-end solution and the extremely high levels of service that are critical in the aviation sector.”
- Sikorsky Awarded $58M Contract for CH-53K Repair
- Royal Thai Air Force expands fleet
- Bell enters Southern African market
- Sikorsky HH-60W in final assembly
- NHV wins Belgian windfarm contract with H145
- HAI Salute to Excellence Deadline Extended
- Boeing Awarded $96M Contract for AH-64, A/MH-6M and H-47 Support
- Cal Fire Crew Awarded for Dangerous Rescue
- Russian Helicopters to display at Africa Aerospace and Defense 2018
- Ramm Aerospace AS350 heater line kits TCCA and FAA approved
- Kenya receives nine AS550C3 Fennecs from UAE
- Harris Awarded $94M contract for CV-22 radio components
- General Electric awarded $18M contract for UH-60 pipe exhausts
- Gozo hospital helicopter inquiry finds no fault
- Royal Saudi Naval Forces launches first MH-60R
- Northrop began flight tests for MQ-8C Fire Scout
- CHC Australia Awarded New Helicopter Services Contract
- Metro delivers H135 to Washington Hospital Center
- US Army conducts first operational test of UH60V Black Hawk
- First Flight turns 30