In the last few days, Robinson Helicopter Company have put a new R44 on the FAA register. No big deal, many will think.
HeliHub.com takes a different view and regularly reviews data at airframe level and we think it is a big deal. Big enough deal for all our sources to be sworn to secrecy, assuming RHC will even tell them what’s going on.
Robinson have successfully produced over 6300 R44s to date, and have run two separate series of MSNs, as follows
- 0001 to 2425 (latest) for Astro, Raven I, Clipper I
- 10001 to 13925 (latest) for Raven II, Clipper II
With these numbers in mind, it is therefore intriguing to the HeliHub.com team that a recent addition to the FAA register is N234CD with MSN given as 30001 – see below. Our wider enquiries, including directly with Robinson, have met with silence, which ironically tells us that it’s radical enough nobody wants to talk about it.
The new aircraft must be special enough to warrant a new numbering series. Below is a chart of the differences between a Raven I and a Raven II (which we noted above have separate MSN series) to give a flavour of what level of differences we could be talking about. The new R44 model is likely to have a certification requirement with it, we believe.
It also makes us wonder what Robinson may have planned for the 20001 et seq number series, unless they are expecting Raven II production to exceed 10,000?
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Universities Order More R44 Cadets
- Prabhu Helicopter adding two new Robinson R66 to its fleet
- Heli-Alps Purchases new Bell 505
- DynaVibe Track and Balance System gains Robinson acceptance
- Robinson Production Picked up Steam in 2017
- UND installs R44 Tanis Engine Preheat Kit
- Robinson Introduces Two Garmin G500H TXi Displays
- RAMM receives FAA approval for R44 Cabin Floor Trays
- Robinson receives R66 big sales boost
- Meeker-Airfilm receives certification for R44 and R66 nose mount
- 11-Nov-17 N744BS Robinson R44 Page, US-Arizona
- 06-Nov-17 N7085M Robinson R44 Inwood, US-Iowa
- 18-Aug-17 VH-LGN Robinson R44 Channel Point, Australia
- Belgian operator wins Dutch pipeline contract
- Mexico approves Apollo spray systems for R22 and R44
- Bird’s Eye View Helicopters Launches NE & NY Charter Services
- Japan approves R44 cargo hook from Onboard Systems
- Uralhelicom sees increase in new helicopter sales
- FAA warns FAR Part 135 R44 operators
- 09-Jun-17 N590GG Robinson R44 Douglas, US-Wyoming