The Croatian Police last week took delivery of the first of two AW139 helicopters, with the second reportedly due in July 2016. Flown to Zagreb Airport on Wednesday, the aircraft had actually quietly entered national airspace the previous evening and overnighted at Pula ready for its higher profile landing at the capital’s airport.
The two aircraft will have their primary role as border protection. Croatia has the EU’s second longest land border with non-EU countries, a total of 745 miles, making it only marginally shorter than the 816 mile border between Finland and Russia. This role has enabled Croatia to benefit from an extensive assistance package from the EU to help fund the aircraft.
The AW139 is fitted with a Trakkabeam A800 searchlight to port, an EO/IR turret under the nose and a winch to starboard – the border role extends to its marine borders and thus an SAR role. Both will have the new higher 7,000kg gross weight.
Arriving on the Italian test registration I-EASM, the helicopter will become 9A-HRP in due course. It is serial 31715 from the Finmeccanica production line in Italy. The Croatian Police also operates three JetRangers, one AB212 and a pair of EC135P2
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
Photos with this report are © Copyright 2016 Boran Pivcic, who blogs at Achtung, Skyhawk!
- Panama’s SENAN AW139 Fleet Reaches Milestone
- Waypoint places two AW139s with Heliconia in NW Africa
- AW139s Hit 5000 Hour Landmark for Panama
- Leonardo provides helicopter for the Prince of Wales’ Tour of Italy
- Waypoint Leasing and Eagle Annouce Repurposed AW139
- Leonardo Expands In The Philippines
- New AW139s Unable to Land on Northern New South Wales Helipads
- CAE-Lider joint venture strengthens its training partnership with Leonardo Helicopters
- Waypoint Leasing Places AW139 on Lease to PT. Air Born Indonesia
- LCI delivers AW139 to Heli-Union
- Italian Guardia di Finanza pick TrakkaBeam A800 searchlight for new AW139s
- Heli-One Poland Approved for Leonardo AW139 2nd Generation Exhaust Duct Repair
- Leonardo expands presence of the bestselling AW139 in Japan with first VIP helicopter sale
- Leonardo strengthens strategic partnership with Shanghai Zenisun
- Saab Certifies Axnes PNG System for AW139
- Waypoint joins with Eagle to reconfigure early AW139s for utility market
- Corporate and VIP operators across the Americas select AW139, AW169
- HeliFlite Destined for Part 135 VIP Service on Eastern Seaboard
- Leonardo takes delivery of 2000th PT6C-67C engine for AW139 program
- 12 AW139s start EMS ops in Australia with Donaldson inlet barrier filters